Refresh Rate Switching Stutter

Jibest

Jibest

I recently got a uhd TV so enabled refresh rate switching so my uhd content would display correctly.

I can see that the resolution of the TV changes, so it's working however I get what I can best describe as slowdown about every 10 seconds when viewing any content (even 720p). If I disable refresh rate switching content plays smoothly but it won't pay the 4k at the correct resolution.

It's all directly played content.

If I use the Emby app on the TV directly there are no issues.

Is this a firetv issue? It's a 2nd gen box (4k). Could there be other settings conflicting maybe?

Hi.  This sounds like it may be an issue with the TV mode.

If you set the Fire TV to 4K resolution, you shouldn't need to turn on the switching though.  How does that compare?

Jibest

The Firetv is set to Auto (4k). I'm not sure you can force it to 4k permanently but I'll double check.

When I noticed that the TV resolution did not change from 1080p while playing 2160p content I looked on these forums & saw that frame rate switching was recommended.

It appeared to suggest that Emby would not be able to make the needed changes without it?

Jibest

I've tried forcing the Fire Tv to 4K through the hidden resolution method but that did not work.

I also have another Fire TV 2nd gen upstairs connected to a regular 1080P tv and I turned the refresh rate setting on in the Emby app just to see what would happen.

Curiously I see the same "slowdown" when playing videos as I did on the 4K tv. Note that I wasn't trying to play 4K content during the testing, just regular 720p & 1080p videos??

Hi.  Please follow the directions to send a log directly from the app when this happens.

Thanks.

Jibest

Hi.  Please follow the directions to send a log directly from the app when this happens.

Thanks.

Sorry, my first time reporting from within an app.

Started playing "The Matrix" at 12:30 Eastern Time

At roughly 30 second intervals the video appears to "slowdown", It does not stutter & there is no break in audio.

Emby User is called "Jon" & the logs were sent at 12:38 Eastern time.

It doesn't look like that is too high of a bitrate item but it sounds like the device is just bogging down. This is on a plain Fire Stick 2nd gen and only when you engage the refresh rate switching?

Jibest

Yes only when that option is enabled, but it happens on any video, even 480p ones.

It's not the stick though. The 2nd gen firetv box (4k) with the following processor spec:

MediaTek 8173C

Quad Core

2x @ 2GHz & 2x @ 1.6Ghz

Jibest

Not sure if this helps, but I checked the display mode when the rate switching is disabled & it shows 1080/60.00. there are no issues.

When switching is enabled it changes to 1080/24.00* & I have the issue.

I disabled the rate switching but manually changed the display mode to 1080/24.00* & the issue returns.

Is lower better as a general rule? Just wondering why it changes from 60 to 24?

The video in question here is still 1080p.

Edited by Jibest

Hi.  It is changing to match the frame rate of the content you are playing.

Can you look at the media info for that and see what the exact frame rate is?  Also, what modes are available on the TV?

It may be an issue where the film is at 23.96 but the display only has 24 as an option and it doesn't interpolate well.  In that case, you'd want to not use the frame rate switching.

Jibest

I'll ignore the old LG TV & focus on the new UHD one as the LG may not support 24fps.

The video file reports 23.9760246. The TV input shows 3840x2160/24. In Emby (on firetv) display mode shows 2160/24.00*.

So I presume it should all be in sync? I still see the judder every 30 seconds.

If I disable the refresh rate option in Emby then both the TV & Emby show as 1080p/60 so it isn't displaying the 4k content in the correct resolution.

If I try the Samsung TV Emby app I am unable to get the TV to display the resolution it is in (the info button controls Emby annoyingly) & Emby does not have the display mode option. Therefore I've no idea if the file is being played in 4k or not.......

Another thing I noticed is that while playing in 1080p if you show "stats for nerds" it says video Resolution is 3840x1608 (on firetv) which I thought was odd.

My goal is just to get Emby to play the 4k content, I'm not chasing any particular FPS

TV is a Samsung UE43RU7400UXXU btw

Edited by Jibest

The video file reports 23.9760246. The TV input shows 3840x2160/24. In Emby (on firetv) display mode shows 2160/24.00*.

So I presume it should all be in sync? I still see the judder every 30 seconds.

No, those rates are not the same and I'm thinking that is the problem.  Your TV doesn't interpolate well between 23.97 and 24, thus, you get a hiccup every x number of frames.

Jibest

I'm not sure where to find out if the TV does support the 23...FPS. Not been able to find the information online or in the menus.

Is there any way to tell if the Samsung Emby app is playing the content in the correct resolution? Maybe from log files?

I tried looking at the ffmpeg logs & comparing between the Samsung app & the Firetv app but they appeared the same to my untrained eye... Is there a specific line in there I should be comparing?

Also seems odd to me that a TV released about 7 months ago can't support 23fps. It plays other UHD content from Prime & iPlayer without issues but perhaps they are in 60 or something.

Jibest

Play something for just a few seconds with the auto refresh rate turned on and then send me a log from the app and I'll tell you what the device supports.

I'm guessing this is from the Firetv? The Samsung app does not have the Refresh Rate Switching Option?

I'm guessing this is from the Firetv? The Samsung app does not have the Refresh Rate Switching Option?

Yes, I thought that's what we were talking about all along...

Jibest

I have been discussing both throughout the thread.

In my last post I asked a question specifically about identifying the resolution the Samsung app is playing in when I play a UHD file as there is no display mode option to show it on the Samsung TV Emby app.....

I'll upload a log from the Firetv tonight but can you please check my other questions also?

Please post any Samsung app specific questions in that forum so we can be sure to address those.  I don't think there is any refresh rate switching going on with that app though.  Your TV itself probably has a button on it (info?) that will show you information about what mode it is in at any given time.

Jibest

Please post any Samsung app specific questions in that forum so we can be sure to address those. I don't think there is any refresh rate switching going on with that app though. Your TV itself probably has a button on it (info?) that will show you information about what mode it is in at any given time.

As I stated earlier:

"If I try the Samsung TV Emby app I am unable to get the TV to display the resolution it is in (the INFO button controls Emby annoyingly) & Emby does not have the display mode option. Therefore I've no idea if the file is being played in 4k or not......."

Instead of showing the resolution it acts as a select button for the Emby app.

I think it is playing correctly, but it would be nice to have proof. If it isn't then I have no way to play UHD content using Emby on this TV at present.

Edited by Jibest

Jibest

So I have spent an hour testing using the FireTv developer mode (enabled "System X-ray & "Advanced Options"). This was surprisingly very useful as it displays the tv resolution and also the resolution of the video that is playing. I was able to confirm a few things.

1. Without the Refresh Rate Switching the tv definitely stays in 1080p mode.

2. When Refresh Rate switching is enabled the tv goes into 2160p 24 (definitely not 23.....etc). So this is without doubt the cause of the judder.

3. If I change the display mode to 2160p/30 the judder issue is fixed and while the image seems a slight drop in quality its very watchable & is in UHD resolution.

What I did find during this though is that when a film is grouped with lower quality versions, changing the display mode from 2160/24* to 2160/30 switched over to a lower quality version of the film. In this case a 720p version. I had to split the versions apart before I could complete step 3 of the testing listed above?

Also in my circumstance I want to keep the refresh rate switching set to on, but I want Emby to use /30 instead of /24*. Is that possible?

As a side note I also now do not think the Samsung Emby app is playing the film in 2160 either, but I can open a topic in the Samsung app section as you suggested.

Also in my circumstance I want to keep the refresh rate switching set to on, but I want Emby to use /30 instead of /24*. Is that possible?

Not exactly but, with the next release of the app, the rate and resolution will be separate options so you may be able to get what you want by just choosing resolution matching.

• Like 1

Jibest

Not exactly but, with the next release of the app, the rate and resolution will be separate options so you may be able to get what you want by just choosing resolution matching.

How would it work exactly? As the Emby app runs in 1080 would the resolution matching switch the TV resolution automatically to 2160? If so how would it determine what FPS to use?

Or is this only of use on something like the Shield where the interface can be set to 2160 permanently (I believe).