MBC and ISO playback

Justabloke

Justabloke

Hello,

I've recently upgraded to MB3

I've got the server setup on my office machine, the media is on a NAS drive, MBC is on my HTPC, I have Daemon Tools Lite installed and configured on my HTPC, the Configuration points to the Daemon Tools exe.

I've decided to have a go at using ISO's

I have created an ISO and placed this is my media drive.

The Server correctly identifies the ISO and has created media information for it.

I can browse to the ISO in MBC on my HTPC, read all about it, see pictures of cast etc and it is identified as an ISO

When I click "play" it offers me a choice of playing part 1 or part 2 (which is correct because its an extented version and consists of 2 discs) but when I select a part to play, MBC hangs.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

TIA

I'm guessing it is problem with the mounting.  ISOs are a pain.  If you are just "trying them out" I'd suggest using a different format.  If it is something you really want to use, then I'll need to see a log.

Justabloke

Fair enough...  I don't have to use ISO's  I'll just carryon ripping the DVD's the way I used to.  I thought I'd give them a go as the ISO's are useful in other ways although that's mainly software type stuff rathre than content type stuff.

Cheers for the reply

• 4 weeks later...
arowan@yarrawonga.com

Unlike Justabloke, I have  >500  .ISOs for movies on the htpc in my living room.

So blowing off MB3 would have less of a downside than dumping my investment in .ISO.

Using the Daemon tools with MB2 has worked well for several years.

The movie library on my main htpc is shared with a windows homegroup which includes other 3 Windows 7 boxes running WMC.

Recently I purchased a new screen for the living room and consequently needed to resolve an underscan problem.

While researching that issue, I came across MB3 with it's client server model & thought I would give that a try.

At first there was a problem mounting the .iso

After poking it with a stick for a while, the playback now works fine.

Now that it is working, I cannot definitely say which change(s) were crucial, but here a a couple of things to check.

1) in Media Browser Classic Configurator

> Extenders + iso tab

>> use the Change Location button to get the path to point  at the location of VCDMount.exe

>> do not check autoplay

2) in the Config Menu (from the Media Browser Classic "cog" button)

> Playback

>>be generous with both of the Network Max Bitrate settings.

I could only modify these values on the server htpc!

The default values seemed too stingy.

good luck.

Item 2 will have no effect on ISO playback.  The trick is getting item 1 set right for your environment.

breezytm
1) in Media Browser Classic Configurator

> Extenders + iso tab

>> use the Change Location button to get the path to point  at the location of VCDMount.exe

>> do not check autoplay

Adding to arowan@yarrawonga.com post

Path to ISO mounter: C:\Program Files (x86)\Elaborate Bytes\VirtualCloneDrive\VCDMount.exe

In addition to that make sure the drive letter matches the one being used in virtual clone drive. You can find out which drive it is using by click on it's the system tray icon.

Here's the download link just in case.

Voila! I usually get an error message from media center saying a software is needed to play the file even though one is already installed. Once i click okay it to exit the error the media starts playing.

Edited by breezytm

Justabloke

Thanks for all the replies but I decided life is too short.. I'll stick what is currently working

• 4 months later...
SikSlayer

This is very frustrating, but now I am having this issue and I didn't change anything.....

• I'm using Virtual Clone Drive
  • The drive letter matches
  • The correct .exe is referenced
  • AutoPlay is not checked
  • TMT 5 launches
  • but no ISO is mounted
  • BDMV and DVD folders work just fine (but then, they have nothing to do with this)

I just don't get what I could possibly be missing. I didn't touch this function since I set it up, and suddenly, it doesn't work at all.

Also, I tried Daemon Tools, and that didn't work either. the ISOs aren't being mounted.

Edited by SikSlayer

Nothing has changed on our side here.  Perhaps an update of TMT or VCD?

You could try using the autoplay functionality.

SikSlayer

I'll try some more things, I just rebooted, having freshly installed VCD, but I never touch anything so I don't really understand what could have happened.

Will keep updated.

UPDATE: at first, still nothing. If I manually mount an ISO in Virtual Clone Drive, and pick the same title, it works. If I pick a different one, the previous ISO is unmounted, and nothing is put in its place.

I was thinking it's either an issue with VCD, or how Media Browser is communicating with it. I think it might be the latter because of Daemon's Tools not working either.

But then I clicked Auto Play and it works...........I've NEVER had AutoPlay checked before.

I don't get why that suddenly fixed it when I didn't change anything, nor did you guys on your end.

Edited by SikSlayer