Bring back Madvr

Milldor

Milldor

Could you please bring back Madvr support and get rid of MPV.

Or even allow support for both,

I've tried for months to get everything working well in MPV but it's just a garbage player with no hope to ever beat Madvr.

HDR implementation is absolutely appalling, the tone mapping is an inconsistent mess no matter what config options are changed. 

The fact the a text editor is necessary to change anything is absurd.

Refresh rate changing has constant problems and bugs.

Using a new version of MPV breaks livetv.

Motion blur is handled poorly and the interpolation option looks like crap when it decides to work.

All of the above is not a problem with Madvr,

Plus it has the benefit of looking far better and being updated more regularly.

Please could you think about reintroducing it to theater or giving the option to use either.

Or beyond that giving resume support or OSD support to external players.

I'm quite sure that the majority of users would prefer Madvr.

Thanks

• Like 1

Milldor

Not going to happen but you can use the External Players option to use a MadVR-compatible player.

I would but i like having the OSD. 

Plus resume support would be useful.

Milldor

Try this test build. Luke has fixed the live TV issue with the new new mpv builds. Enable HDR in Windows and you no longer need HDR tone mapping.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/46763-theater-mpv-test/page-1

Does this test build support passthrough for HDR then?

I've just tested the new new builds. LiveTV does not work. 

The HDR still looks poor.

Is there a reason that Madvr can't be supported.

Edited by Milldor

Guest asrequested

Does this test build support passthrough for HDR then?

I've just tested the new new builds. LiveTV does not work. 

The HDR still looks poor.

Is there a reason that Madvr can't be supported.

It supports the direct render of the HDR metadata via the Windows DXGI 1.6 swapchain. So no 'tone mapping'.

You have to use the Theater test build, or Live TV will fail. If you use that test build, you can drop in any version of mpv you want. But Emby has just rebuilt their own mpv and are about to rebuild again. It has the new HDR developments. Just try it!

While MadVR is a great renderer, it relies on using a separate player that uses unstable filters that depend heavily on Windows. So they break, often. mpv is built on ffmpeg. It's much more stable and has greater abilities than the players that MadVR relies on.

Plus it has the benefit of looking far better and being updated more regularly.

Nonsense! New builds of mpv are almost weekly. And as I have demonstrated, mpv is equal to Madvr. Don't blame the player for your inexperience. Please read.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/80124-reaching-madvr-quality-with-mpv/

Milldor

It supports the direct render of the HDR metadata via the Windows DXGI 1.6 swapchain. So no 'tone mapping'.

You have to use the Theater test build, or Live TV will fail. If you use that test build, you can drop in any version of mpv you want. But Emby has just rebuilt their own mpv and are about to rebuild again. It has the new HDR developments. Just try it!

While MadVR is a great renderer, it relies on using a separate player that uses unstable filters that depend heavily on Windows. So they break, often. mpv is built on ffmpeg. It's much more stable and has greater abilities than the players that MadVR relies on.

Nonsense! New builds of mpv are almost weekly. And as I have demonstrated, mpv is equal to Madvr. Don't blame the player for your inexperience. Please read.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/80124-reaching-madvr-quality-with-mpv/

I will give the test build a go with the new new versions of MPV.

I'll report back.

Beyond that what you have "demonstrated"  is that you find MPV equal to Madvr, The majority of HTPC users would disagree. 

Once it actually is as good I'm sure Madvr will fizzle out pretty quickly.

Also, do you know if Emby will support automatic HDR switching or exclusive fullscreen any time soon?... Another feature that Madvr just happens to support.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

Also, do you know if Emby will support automatic HDR switching or exclusive fullscreen any time soon?... Another feature that Madvr just happens to support.

I actually have a build of mpv that will do that. And the Theater is UI is about to be completely rebuilt. Whether it will allow fullscreen exclusivity, only Luke can answer that. 

Milldor

Is that the jeeb build that has to be used as an external player?

It just seems on a few levels that mpv is in it's infancy and it may be more effective to wait for it to mature before make it a primary player.

I would happily use an external one but it's a bit counterproductive to make a video player then have everybody use an external option.

I just would have thought that theater used to support madvr so it obviously is capable, would it not make every user happy if both were included and a choice in settings be available.

Milldor

It's not my opinion. Take a look at this.

https://artoriuz.github.io/mpv_upscaling.html

A good read for earlier in the evening perhaps.

Perhaps after spending a great deal of time I could match the quality.

It seems that most users who have become happy with mpv have spent days editing their config.

I suppose it may be worth the effort but this is not why I pay a subscription.

Does anybody know when these changes are likely to be implemented and furthermore if anyone has any notion as to why refresh rate switching has suddenly stopped working?

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

Yes, the jeeb build.

And I am very often around to help with a config. There's a lot of good info from other users, too.

Milldor

I've messed around with configs so much my wife is going mad at me.

I switched back to madvr after months without it and was so impressed that going back to theater and mpv was a little jarring and mlhugely disappointing.

Perhaps with these new updates it will improve.

Guest asrequested

I've messed around with configs so much my wife is going mad at me.

lol, yeah, I can appreciate that not being a good situation :)

But as I said elsewhere, if I know what you're aiming for, I can probably get you somewhere close. And then you can fine tune. 

And maybe test with the standalone, when the wife is not around :)

Milldor

I'm just looking for similar quality.

I pretty much max out madvr and use refresh rate switching to cut out judder. This use to work before though so I'm not sure what's happening there.

I'd like to use hdr with the same look as pass through on my oled.

I'd really like the pass through version of mpv to work with theater rather than externally.

I'd be happy with an external player if resuming would work like the external player addon for the browser that a forum user had published.

Guest asrequested

For what it's worth, this is my config for the Theater test build.

hwdec=auto
opengl-pbo
scale=ewa_lanczossharp
dither-depth=auto
deband
deband-iterations=1
deband-grain=0
deinterlace=no
saturation=0
brightness=6
contrast=3
deinterlace=no

hwdec-codecs=all

audio-stream-silence=yes
audio-exclusive=yes

[HDR]
profile-desc=cond:p["video-params/primaries"]=="bt.2020"
dither=no
dither-depth=no
deband
deband-iterations=1
contrast=0
saturation=0
brightness=0

And if you want to take advantage of the upscaling shader, you can add that and slightly adjust the config.

Milldor

I've given the test build a go.

LiveTV is as you said, working again fir newer MPV builds.

refresh rate switching also seems to work again, although it won't switch back after playback stops.

I'll tinker with the config for HDR, right now it's crazy pale. Every black is grey. Really grey.

Milldor

I've had a couple of sick days tinkering with a config that gives comparable results to madvr and seem t have cracked it.

HDR content and SDR looks nearly identical to madvr and plays very well.

The nly issue I have is refresh rate switching will change at the beginning of playback but then will never change back. If you know of a fix for this I'll be very grateful, currently I'm using the oversample interpolation option.

config below...

## GENERAL ##
save-position-on-quit

# Start in fullscreen mode by default.
fs=yes

## VIDEO ##

gpu-api=d3d11
hwdec=d3d11va
profile=gpu-hq

display-fps=60
video-sync=display-resample
interpolation=yes
tscale=oversample 

# tscale=box
# tscale-window=quadric
# tscale-window=sphinx
# tscale-clamp=0.0
# tscale-radius=0.9

################
# Anti-Ringing #
################

scale-antiring=0.7 # luma upscale deringing
dscale-antiring=0.7 # luma downscale deringing
cscale-antiring=0.7 # chroma upscale deringing

##########
# Dither #
##########

dither-depth=auto
temporal-dither=yes

############
# Playback #
############

deinterlace=no # global reset of deinterlacing to off

#Deband
deband=no # enabled by default 
deband-iterations=4 # deband steps
deband-threshold=20 # deband strength
deband-range=16 # deband range

[HDR]
profile-desc=cond:p["video-params/primaries"]=="bt.2020"
target-prim=bt.2020
format=default:colormatrix=bt.2020-ncl

## EXTENSIONS ##

fbo-format=rgba16hf 
glsl-shaders-clr

# luma upscaling
glsl-shaders-append="C:\Users\alex1\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\x64\mpv\shadersFSRCNNX_x2_8-0-4-1.glsl"
glsl-shaders-append="C:\Users\alex1\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\x64\mpv\shadersFSRCNNX_x2_8-0-4-1.glsl"
scale=ewa_lanczos

# luma downscaling
glsl-shaders-append="C:\Users\alex1\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\x64\mpv\shadersSSimDownscaler.glsl"
dscale=lanczos
linear-downscaling=yes

# chroma upscaling and downscaling
glsl-shaders-append="C:\Users\alex1\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\x64\mpv\shadersKrigBilateral.glsl"  
cscale=lanczos
sigmoid-upscaling=yes

###################################
# Protocol Specific Configuration #
###################################

[protocol.http]
hls-bitrate=max 
cache=yes
no-cache-pause 

Edited by Milldor

Guest asrequested

That's formidable :)

One thing, if you want to use Interpolation and you're using audio bitstreaming, you want to use

video-sync=display-vdrop, or mpv will disable Interpolation.

Milldor

There may be a few that a either redundant or perhaps even not supported anymore but it looks good and I don't want to touch it and ruin it.

Any thoughts on the refresh rate change problem?

Guest asrequested

The refresh rate change is a program written specifically for Theater. I don't know if any changes have been made to the Lua script that runs it. Luke posted a new test build last night, you could try that.

Milldor

I've tried a couple of the refresh rate scripts specific to mpv and they seem to have the same problem. It's quite odd.

The new build doesn't help and furthermore when using the new build my shaders stop loading.

Guest asrequested

As far as I'm aware, nothing has been changed with the refresh rate program since randomevents wrote it. So I don't know if it needs updating or if the lua needs updating. A lot of changes have been made to mpv since then.

And you can use any mpv you want.

Personally, I'm waiting for the new UI build. When that arrives, then we can see what's what.

Edited by Doofus

Milldor

Personally, I'm waiting for the new UI build. When that arrives, then we can see what's what.

Good plan.

Best to fiddle with things once they're settled.