Unable to install emby on Ubuntu 18.04 using docker

jds_emby
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

jds_emby

I followed the official guide to install emby in Docker:

docker run -d --name=emby --volume /media/virtual/htpc/emby/config:/config --volume /media/virtual:/mnt/share1  --publish 8096:8096 --publish 8920:8920     --env UID=1000 --env GID=100 --env TZ=America/Chicago emby/embyserver:latest

It starts up but then shows a bunch of errors in the log file and crashes.  The log file is attached.

embyserver-63713469743.txt

jds_emby

It is my understanding of docker that it has unlimited resources unless otherwise specified, and I have not specified any limitations. 

Apparently it can kill processes if it runs out, but that does not seem to by my case. I have 16G of memory, and it almost never goes above 50% usage, according to glances.

EDIT: I double checked this with $docker stats.  All of the containers show a limit of 16G for memory.  Swap is also allowed. 

Edited by jds_emby

tarsosis

What version of Docker are you using?

When you did the install did you add the repo for Docker or use the default one that came with Ubuntu 18.04?

jds_emby

Good question.  I did not find any repo, and the docker version was 18.something, so was plain ubuntu repo.  

I added the docker-ce repo and updated docker to get

$docker --version 
Docker version 19.03.5, build 633a0ea838

Tried again to install the container, but it crashes just the same.

Have you configured your system in any non-standard way that we should know about? For example, if we do a fresh install of Ubuntu and Docker at default settings, how does that setup differ from yours?

jds_emby

It is fairly standard, with one exception. I have pooled several HDs using mergerfs. The container configs and media files are on these. I have experimented a bit with those switches, but nothing changes. I can give you the current settings if you want.

jscoys

Hum don’t if it can help but here is a tutorial to run Emby in a container with docker-compose on CentOs 8: https://youtu.be/RthGsZVPdOU

Commands for docker/docker-compose are quite the same for all Linux distros.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

/system is actually a path inside the docker container, but you already said that /config is mapped to a path that is on mergefs.

I'm wondering if the .NET Core runtime is just not working well with mergefs. Do you need to map /config to a mergefs location?

• Solution

Can you move that so that it's not on a mergefs location. We build Emby Server with .NET Core and it looks to me like something fundamental is just not supported and I don't believe we can do anything about this.

• Like 1