Live TV Low Volume - No Solution

ryanfinger

ryanfinger

I'm transitioning from WMC to Emby as my whole house TV solution.  I'm having a few challenges...

My main MediaCenter is running Windows 10 with Emby Server and Theater installed.  This device is HDMI connected to my Onkyo Amp which is connected to my Sony TV.  I'm running 4k resolution on the Win10 PC with audio on HDMI.  In Windows 10 I have the audio set to 7.1.  When I test the audio in Windows I get 7.1 as expected.

To my issue...

I have some live TV that the volume is extremely low.  To the point it cannot be clearly heard.  It appears to mostly be commercials but also some older programming.  I suspect what is going on is that the programming with the low audio is mixed at 2.0 and not 5.1/7.1.  The 2.0 audio is being pushed out to the left/right channel speakers.  However, the amp still thinks its 7.1 thus it isn't adjusting the volume accordingly.  With my old Windows Media Center config it would re-negotiate the connection from 7.1 to 2.0 when the audio channel changed.  My Win10/Emby config doesn't seem to be doing that.  I've played around with a variety of settings with no luck.  Anyone else run into this?

Thanks,

Ryan

ryanfinger

I have Windows configured to 7.1.  I have theater configured to 7.1 as well.  There is an info button on the Onkyo that will bring up data regarding the input and output bitstream.  In all cases it says 7.1 in and 7.1 out - even on the content that is clearly 2.0.

ryanfinger

Also, I tried settings windows to stereo and 5.1 but that has not changed anything.

Watching a football game at the moment.  I can hear the announcers without issue.  When the ref goes to speak about a penalty I can barely make out what is being said.  All the commercials are also very quite and cannot be heard.

ryanfinger

So I was able to get this resolved.

First, I set my Windows 10 audio to stereo.  I had to do something very similar with my WMC configuration on Win 8.1 that I'm trying to replace with Emby.  I also needed to make sure I had the ability to set exclusivity on the audio device.  I then created an MPV.CONF file.  In that I added the log entry so now I have the ability to go back and troubleshoot.  I also added two other lines...

audio-exclusive=yes
audio-channels=auto

Not sure if they are both needed but upon reboot I now get the experience I expect.  So what did this do...
Before, when 2.0 bitstream audio was playing the PC was outputting it as 7.1 still.  This was resulting in very low audio, to the point where it could not be heard.  Now, after my change, when a 2.0 bitstream audio comes up it actually sends it to the receiver at 2.0.  I can here my receiver switch (a click noise) indicating the change in bitstream.  The receiver takes the 2.0 audio and attempts to output at 7.1 (which is expected) resulting it it sending the majority of the sound to the front 3 speakers (specifically the center channel).  Thus, I have crisp and appropriate volume on the audio.  This is exactly how my WMC acted previously so I am pleased.

Looks like I will be signing up for the lifetime license of Emby and will be making the full switch off WMC.

Regards,
Ryan

Guest asrequested

Both of those options are in Theater. The audio channels option is probably being overridden by theater. It's probably the exclusivity that is making it work. As that will let mpv take control of your receiver. It sounds like your receiver was doing some post processing, and exclusivity has stopped that happening.