2 questions about hardware for dedicated server build.

heypaleblue

heypaleblue

Hey Guys,

I just bought emby lifetime and am building a new budget machine for it. I'm building it under the assumption that my GPU is the piece that needs to be the most powerful as it will handle my video en/decodes and the proc/mobo/mem need to be sufficient enough to run windows and emby.

Specs:

Media Background:

While a significant portion of my media is 480p encoded with H264 and AAC audio future forward I will only be purchasing blurays to add to my digital collection and will be ripping them with a web optimized H.264 30FPS 8bit color, AAC audio (avcodec) setting with light NLMeans denoise filter.

Questions:

• My Goal is 10 streams at 1080p or lower.
  • Should I return the RX570 for:
  •          an RX580/590 - I figure extra the extra oomph and more ram from a stronger card will help me handle more simultaneous streams. It's only 10 bucks more.
  •          a 1660 - 10 series and 16 series seems to be recommended with this driver patch that allows unlimited simultaneous streams
  • With Specs Like these, how many concurrent streams can I expect to handle and what could I do to improve it?

@

@@Sammy

@@lightsout

Edited by heypaleblue

heypaleblue

So it seems like the play then might be to just take the GPU & CPU back and just get a super beefy Ryzen 3rd Gen Chip and let that do all my transcodes? I'm already running into an issue where it appears that emby isn't using the the 570 even though it's the only option in settings and it's selected across the board.

heypaleblue

So I think what I'm gonna do is try a 1650 super and see if it even works and if so how many streams I can get out of it, if it doesn't work out I'm going to just go for a 3700X or a 3900X

heypaleblue

@

@@Sammy

@@lightsout

could on of yall tell me which logs and what I need to be looking in said logs to see if my movies are using a GPU? I'm noticing a GPU spike with the 1650 super installed but the processor is also spiking as well and I'm not sure why that is.