Toy Story 4 4K blocky video 7.1 sound

arrbee99

arrbee99

This might not an Emby thing, but thought I'd ask -

I bought and ripped the above using MakeMKV. It plays fine in Emby Theater using English True HD 7.1 and its direct Playing. If I play the same on a Shield the picture is a blocky mess and its direct Streaming. If I play it again on Shield but change to 5.1 audio it plays fine and direct plays. Other 4K movies play fine on the Shield using True HD 7.1.

Now when ripping MakeMKV it did fine but said 'AV syncronisation issues were found'. Any thoughts on whether that would definitely be the cause, without affecting (apparently) 5.1 playback and without affecting playback in Theater.

arrbee99

So that means its a bug, it'll be like that for a while, it doesn't affect all 4k movies and I just have to get it to direct play, which I can by playing 5.1 instead of True HD 7.1 audio ?

CBers

Personally I don't have any issues Direct playing anything on my Shield, it never transcodes.

This includes 1080, 4K with and without Atmos.

@@arrbee99 Can you supply a sample from your rip.

vdatanet

If your system is not compatible with the selected audio track, then remuxes the movie converting the audio track to one compatible with your system. That HLS stream is the problem. I have a lot of HEVC movies that when audio is remuxed show green artifacts. How is your nvidia shield connected? To TV using ARC or to AVR? ARC does not support True HD.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/78639-when-remuxing-hevc-dts-movies-green-artifacts-are-shown/?hl=green

Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 1

Doofus - have we isolated this to HEVC + HDR with stream copy?  Or is it some other attribute because it isn't all HEVC.

Guest asrequested

It isn't specific to HDR. I can reproduce it with SDR 4k HEVC, too. It's more prevalent with deep color HEVC profiles (10bit, L5, L5.1). Lower resolution videos are less affected, so video bitrate/bandwidth is likely a factor, too. The container isn't designed for the codec, but with basic profiles, it will play without issue.

arrbee99

Personally I don't have any issues Direct playing anything on my Shield, it never transcodes.

This includes 1080, 4K with and without Atmos.

@@arrbee99 Can you supply a sample from your rip.

Hopefully, this is chapter one and two other random chapters...

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmkRWNKmKxThiKFMCsqD5MoLp2qcHQ?e=hLzEfO

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmkRWNKmKxThiKFN87966aUP8NygKw?e=gy9KKb

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmkRWNKmKxThiKFOapk1FoSJJi5EbQ?e=cUx2f5

Edit - Chapter One and one of the others is blocky and the other one seems fine.

Edited by arrbee99

arrbee99

If your system is not compatible with the selected audio track, then remuxes the movie converting the audio track to one compatible with your system. That HLS stream is the problem. I have a lot of HEVC movies that when audio is remuxed show green artifacts. How is your nvidia shield connected? To TV using ARC or to AVR? ARC does not support True HD.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/78639-when-remuxing-hevc-dts-movies-green-artifacts-are-shown/?hl=green

Its just connect via ordinary HDMI to the Sony TV. The HDMI/ARC is used to send sound to the Samsung soundbar.

arrbee99

It isn't specific to HDR. I can reproduce it with SDR 4k HEVC, too. It's more prevalent with deep color HEVC profiles (10bit, L5, L5.1). Lower resolution videos are less affected, so video bitrate/bandwidth is likely a factor, too. The container isn't designed for the codec, but with basic profiles, it will play without issue.

Dumb question - where do I find media info about this L5 L5.1 stuff ?

Guest asrequested

Dumb question - where do I find media info about this L5 L5.1 stuff ?

Easiest way is to use mediainfo. But your movie will have deep color. The problem isn't with your media. That's why it plays correctly in Theater.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

OK, this is a little difficult for me to test, as most of my equipment supports a lot of media. I finally found a 1080 HDR L4 movie, then I muxed in an audio track that wasn't supported, to force direct streaming. It played without issue. I'm fairly certain that high color level (L5 +) is where the problem begins. And I just discovered that I have some L6 movies. So this is definitely needs to be considered. 

From the log, for those interested.

12:59:59.121 Stream mapping:
12:59:59.121   Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
12:59:59.121   Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (truehd (native) -> ac3 (native))
12:59:59.121 Press [q] to stop, [?] for help
12:59:59.125 [segment @ 0000014901aade40] Opening 'G:\transcoding-temp\9d07e28480ad37c6f9e1b9c20006e7310.ts.tmp' for writing
12:59:59.126 Output #0, segment, to 'G:\transcoding-temp\9d07e28480ad37c6f9e1b9c20006e731%d.ts':
12:59:59.126   Metadata:
12:59:59.126     encoder         : Lavf58.31.104
12:59:59.126     Stream #0:0: Video: hevc (Main 10), yuv420p10le(tv, bt2020nc/bt2020/smpte2084), 1920x1080 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], q=2-31, Level 120, 24 fps, 24 tbr, 90k tbn, 24 tbc (default)
12:59:59.126     Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1, fltp (24 bit), 384 kb/s (default)
12:59:59.126     Metadata:
12:59:59.126       encoder         : Lavc58.56.101 ac3
Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

It looks like ffprobe is returning the level as 3 digit number. In that case, 120 (L4). An L6 is 180 (see below) and L5 is 150

5e0d10d46b755_Annotation20200101133501.j 5e0d1363c6357_Annotation20200101134558.j

Edited by Doofus

arrbee99

If it matters, every 4K film I've got except one is level 153, including the offending Toy Story 4. They all play fine (well they did the last time I checked), except for, as mentioned, Toy Story 4.

Guest asrequested

If it matters, every 4K film I've got except one is level 153, including the offending Toy Story 4. They all play fine (well they did the last time I checked), except for, as mentioned, Toy Story 4.

Level 153 is L5.1 for HEVC stuff. L5.1 for h264 stuff, is just Level 51.

Were they all direct streaming? If the server isn't remuxing the video, it doesn't apply.

And not every video will break up in the same way. Some will what I refer to as 'chunk'. Meaning that they momentarily freeze, and parts of the picture will separate in chunks.

Edited by Doofus

CBers

This might not an Emby thing, but thought I'd ask -

I bought and ripped the above using MakeMKV. It plays fine in Emby Theater using English True HD 7.1 and its direct Playing. If I play the same on a Shield the picture is a blocky mess and its direct Streaming. If I play it again on Shield but change to 5.1 audio it plays fine and direct plays. Other 4K movies play fine on the Shield using True HD 7.1.

Now when ripping MakeMKV it did fine but said 'AV syncronisation issues were found'. Any thoughts on whether that would definitely be the cause, without affecting (apparently) 5.1 playback and without affecting playback in Theater.

Sounds like a dodgy 7.1 audio track.

Have you re-ripped the movie?

I thought the thread had moved on, but looks like the original rip is possibly corrupted.

arrbee99

Level 153 is L5.1 for HEVC stuff. L5.1 for h264 stuff, is just Level 51.

Were they all direct streaming? If the server isn't remuxing the video, it doesn't apply.

And not every video will break up in the same way. Some will what I refer to as 'chunk'. Meaning that they momentarily freeze, and parts of the picture will separate in chunks.

I'd have to check properly, but thing quite a few were using 7.1 audio, which seems to give Direct Streaming. I think they played OK, but its been a few weeks and I probably told some to play in 5.1 audio anyway, just so they would Direct Play.

CBers

I'd have to check properly, but thing quite a few were using 7.1 audio, which seems to give Direct Streaming. I think they played OK, but its been a few weeks and I probably told some to play in 5.1 audio anyway, just so they would Direct Play.

The Shield should only have to remux the audio if your receiver doesn't support 7.1.

The video should be in COPY mode.

arrbee99

Sounds like a dodgy 7.1 audio track.

Have you re-ripped the movie?

I thought the thread had moved on, but looks like the original rip is possibly corrupted.

Haven't yet. MakeMKV didn't report any problems, except for the AV thing mentioned in Post#1, which looking at the forums, didn't sound like anything to worry about.

Will try again, after checking out some other movies using Direct Streaming, as per previous post(?), assuming I can get near our only 4K TV.

Guest asrequested

The Shield should only have to remux the audio if your receiver doesn't support 7.1.

This is the outstanding bug. This isn't about how to direct play. We're trying to address the container support for HEVC. There isn't an issue with his rip.

arrbee99

No receiver, Shield goes into TV via HDMI and sounds comes out to soundbar via HDMI-ARC.

Not sure what you mean by COPY mode.