Possible for the apps to be the DLNA provider?

Pulseeey

Pulseeey

Hello,

I'm about to move my Emby instance into a datacentre due to the better connectivity, however realized that would significantly limit my cast options from the apps. Chromecast works fine however Chromecast isn't built into many TVs at all due to Googles locking down of it, no doubt to keep Chromecast dongles relevant. Thus, DLNA Play-To on the server becomes king which is fine if you're in the LAN but I will not be so I lose that.

Just curious if it's even possible with the DLNA protocol to have the apps serve as the content provider/server in such circumstances? I imagine it is additionally difficult to implement since the app would be streaming the content itself, and then trying to streaming it additionally to your desired TV. Whereas in normal Android apps like Galleries or Photos you of course already have the full file in your storage ready to serve over DLNA.

I Googled this and a lot of people request it to be sort of like remote DLNA where the server still plays a direct role, whereas I am wondering if DLNA could work like Chromecast where the app handles it. It might sound stupid because if it could then why would Chromecast have been developed, but still worth an ask for the sake of it. :)

Thank you.

• Like 1

Pulseeey

Hi, yes this is something that we've talked about and I think it makes sense. Thanks for the feedback.

Just would be nice to have more client-device options other than Chromecast for when the Emby server isn't in the LAN, I think the ability to go to a someones house and only need to connect to their Wifi and then push to their TV is pretty up there in user experience but of course they'd need a Chromecast dongle or a specific TV like SONY BRAVIA which uses Android TV which is not particularly common.

Look forward to a possible update in the future?

Edited by Pulseeey
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
gmtearne49

I am really not understanding the casting protocols very well. My server is remote so it is not local to my clients. However I can see certain clients to play back to.
3 locations typically use my server, neither of which are connected locally to the server.

IP1 typically has a fire stick (running Android Mobile 3.1.9, not TV via Amazon store to circumvent certificate issues), an Xbox One and an iOS device.

IP2 is using an Xbox One, Windows 10 (latest ET), Chrome browsers, Android phone (3.1.18) and a Fire tablet (3.1.12 via Play store with Google services loaded)

IP3 uses an iOS device.

I am at IP2, I can see both iOS devices running on IP1 and IP3, and my Android phone running on IP2 (or IP4 when connected to mobile data)

I just cannot work out why the Android mobile apps on the Amazon devices are not available to cast/play to. I figure the windows/Xbox devices are local DLNA to the server only, that's fine. The fire stick at IP1 is running a slightly older build of Emby mobile and I assumed it was some Amazon based restrictions as to why that wasn't available as a play to device. Although my fire tablet is also Amazon/FireOS, I'm shocked it doesn't work as a play to client, I've tried the APK from the Amazon store, play store and direct from the Emby website. Why is it that my phone running the exact same APK on the same network as my fire tablet (with Google services) can be a play to target but the fire tablet can't?

What protocol is the iOS/Android phone using that the fire stick/fire tablet cannot? (and Windows for that matter)

For what it's worth, my fire tablet is running FireOS 6.x which is Android 6 based. My phone is Pie (9.0) based.

@@cayars

Edited by Luke

• 4 weeks later...

This is a really convoluted topic and there are many ways to "cast".  Roku does it one way, Google another, DLNA, etc

Typically casting only works when you are on the same network so that devices are discoverable and can be communicated with.  

Some devices are designed to be connected to external screens with no screen of their own (think Roku, Shield TV, xBox).  Some devices are standalone such as tablets, smart phones, computers and can be a client or act as server. Others are receive only and others can only send.

As to specifics of what can do what to other clients you/we would need a matrix to know the different combinations.  For specifics maybe one of the devs or someone who owns the specific combo can answer.

• 2 weeks later...