Emby app quits after deleting local file and trying to return to app Home Screen

sekondchakra

sekondchakra

As originally described in this post, after watching a local file, deleting it, and pressing the "back" key on the Roku remote, the app closes and I end up back at the Roku Home Screen, instead of the Emby app Home screen.   (Video of behavior here.)

After deleting the local file via the Emby app gui, sometimes if I wait 10 seconds or so before pressing the "back" button on the remote--the app will properly return to it's Home Screen.

[edit] Currently running Emby Server v4.4.0.4 and Emby Beta app v3.0 - build 205.  The Roku Ultra is running v9.2.0, build 4806 of it's software.    This issue has happened on previous versions of server & app.

Edited by sekondchakra

Interesting. We will look into addressing this problem. This is not supposed to be still be happening. We will report back in this thread once we have a fix. ;)

Reference: Issue #746: Delete causes app to crash when using back button to previous screens ( in-progress )

• 1 month later...
sekondchakra

I'll probably jinx it by reporting this, but beginning with v4.4.0.15 and/or Roku app Emby Beta v3.0, build 210--this issue may have been resolved?  Fingers-crossed. 

sekondchakra

Another issue that I hadn't reported (because I wasn't sure if it was normal behavior) has apparently been resolved as well:  If you let a local file play to the end, it used to freeze on a screen that just said "Scanning".  As of a couple of versions ago it now automatically returns to the Home Screen. Yay. 

sekondchakra

This issue has returned. (Told you I'd jinx it.)   v4.0.0.18.   Happened 3 or 4 times tonight already.  Will test again when .20 is available. 

This issue has returned. (Told you I'd jinx it.)   v4.0.0.18.   Happened 3 or 4 times tonight already.  Will test again when .20 is available. 

The issue this post was created for originally has returned?

sekondchakra

Correct.  Roku Emby app crashed back to Roku main menu after deleting local .mp4 file and hitting 'back' button on remote.  Also the frozen "Scanning" screen if you let the file run to the end. 

Correct.  Roku Emby app crashed back to Roku main menu after deleting local .mp4 file and hitting 'back' button on remote.  Also the frozen "Scanning" screen if you let the file run to the end. 

Hi.  What does "deleting a local .mp4 file" mean?  Exactly what did you do and where?

Also, with what version of the app?

Thanks.

Okay, but that was with a previous version and changes have been made since then.

The details are exactly the same now and it was fixed but somehow now isn't?  Are you sure it isn't a situation where it only happens under certain circumstances?  Like maybe the last episode in a season, etc.?

Thanks.

sekondchakra

There are no obvious differences between the nature of the episodes I watched Sunday or Monday vs last night (end of the season vs not, etc.).  It just occurred to me that there might be a difference in the type of 'local file' (mp4 vs mkv?)...but that would take a little more research on this end.  I'll look into that tonight.

By "last episode" I mean within the context of how you were viewing them.  IOW - once deleted, you would be returning to an empty list kind of thing.

sekondchakra

Ah, no, that wasn't a pattern (I don't think).  But I'll try and see if I notice any other patterns.  

sekondchakra

Well, two nights ago it didn't crash at all; last night it crashed every time but one.  Very odd, indeed. 

Reference: #695 App crash after delete

-- issue raised: November 25, 2019

( Roku blackout - cannot issue fix until after January 5th)

-- fix issued internally: January 15, 2020

(approx 2 week internal testing BETA APP ONLY)

-- fix issued to public:  January 27, 2020

(store version updated)

If we still have a problem here it is probably in the back stack collapsing and the home screen has an element get focus. That element that gets focus is in a row that has not refreshed yet and must contain the deleted item. We need to have more sanity checks that we do not attempt logic on variables that may be null/invalid. This must be what is happening. I can look into this deeper tonight when I have time. This is probably just us needing to check m.top.focusedItem isn't pointing to something invalid in the array. That has got to be the issue if it crashes when it should go back to the Emby home screen. That home screen has not been sanity checked fully. I can do that tonight. Stay tuned. ^_~

Edited by speechles

Is it always after playback that it fails?

If so, how quickly after playback are you deleting the item?

sekondchakra

Is it always after playback that it fails?

If so, how quickly after playback are you deleting the item?

Well, probably a pretty typical cycle:   The episode ends, one would hit the 'back' button during the credits, select the delete key, then return to the main menu to select the next episode of what have you. It's counter-human-nature to wait several seconds at each step.