Artist name incorrect on imported M3U and WPL playlists

simardd

When I import my MP3 music library, many of the songs from the imported playlists have an incorrect artist.  I seem to have a lot of tracks that show Aretha Franklin as the artist.  I know this is likely due to having a lot of artists in a single folder, but that's how I want my collection to be organized.  Can any thing be done about this?

post-553157-0-11872300-1577665969_thumb.jpg

post-553157-0-71559200-1577665987_thumb.jpg

Hi there, are the music files tagged correctly with embedded information? We don't use artist names from playlist files, rather we get those from the tracks themselves.

I should clarify that this issue is not related to the import of the playlists.  I see the same thing when browsing individual songs in the library.

post-553157-0-33123000-1577705008_thumb.jpg

simardd

I have done further testing on this.  I installed another instance of Emby server on Windows 10 to experiment.  When I build the library from the local C: drive, the artist names all work.  If I build the library on a mapped network drive, some artist names are wrong (a lot of Aretha Franklin) or just blank.

How do we take this to the next step?  I would really like to figure this out.

Hi Luke, Good to have you back.

I have tried to create something that can be reproduced.  The issue remains that sometimes the metadata that Emby extracts from the ID3 tags is incorrect as far as the Artist name goes.  Sometimes the artist name is missing, other times it puts an incorrect artist name.  This has nothing to do with playlists.  If I add a library containing the 5 songs that I am sharing, then display the library and select Songs, only 10cc at Cat Stevens tracks display the artist name.  The other 3 tracks have no artist name.

Here's how I create the library:

-Click on Add Media Library

-Content type = Music

-Display name = Music

-Click Add Folder

-Folder name = C:\EmbyMusic

-Preferred metadata download language = English

-Country = Canada

-Preferred image download language = English

-MusicAlbum metadata downloaders = unselect MusicBrainz, unselect TheAudioDB

-MusicArtist metadata downloaders = unselect MusicBrainz, unselect TheAudioDB

-Click OK

-Click on Home

-Click on Music library

-Click on Songs

I get 3 out of 5 songs with no Artist.

I have repeated this multiple times with the same results.

EmbyMusic.zip

Edited by simardd

PenkethBoy

Just tried your zip in a test Music library with the beta server

Disabled all the metadata downloaders as well

and... (ignore that i have blue links)

5e18b05a1ede1_Annotation20200110170951.j

TIP - the folder that contains the music files is considered to be the "Album" - Hence "Guardians of the Galaxy"

Artist and Album Artist tabs in the test Library were populated with the Artists from the mp3 ID Tags

Only thing i did differently was not set my country to Canada

The only other thing I can think of if this is environmental is that I am running Emby server in Windows on VMWare workstation.  I can't see how that could make any difference though.  I'm going to try installing it on my Windows 10 laptop for comparison.

This seems to be an intermittent issue.  I put Emby server on my Windows laptop and created a music library with the same 5 songs.  Everything looked great, so I thought this could be something to do with running on VMWare.  So I created a new library of my music collection (8,754 songs) on the laptop C: drive.  I'm back to seeing a lot of songs with Aretha Franklin as the Artist.  I'm not seeing any with missing Artist, but I haven't checked all 8,754 songs. 

I'm just about to give up on this.  There is something going wrong in the Emby server but I can't narrow down how or why it is happening.

PenkethBoy

more likely its your metadata in the mp3 etc files than emby or more people would be having your issue

A suggestion

show use some screen shots of folder structure

what settings do you have for the music library

do any of the album folders have existing nfo's

show us some screenshots of mp3tag - extended tag screen for some problematic files

a large proportion of people who have problems with Music metadata have dodgy tags, non supported directory structure etc - this might be what you have - but you need to provide more info

Luke,

I have not customized any of the music library settings.  The metadata is what was collected from the tags when the library was created.

PenkethBoy,

The folder structure is mostly song tracks sorted by genre.

post-553157-0-97651900-1578691436_thumb.jpg

The music library settings were specified in an earlier post:

Here's how I create the library:

-Click on Add Media Library

-Content type = Music

-Display name = Music

-Click Add Folder

-Folder name = C:\EmbyMusic

-Preferred metadata download language = English

-Country = Canada

-Preferred image download language = English

-MusicAlbum metadata downloaders = unselect MusicBrainz, unselect TheAudioDB

-MusicArtist metadata downloaders = unselect MusicBrainz, unselect TheAudioDB

There are no nfo files.

Here is some information on one of the problematic files:

You can see the track Escape (The Pina Colada Song) tagged as Aretha Franklin.

post-553157-0-05009200-1578692033_thumb.jpg

That's what Emby put in its library:

post-553157-0-30454900-1578692148_thumb.jpg

Here is how that file looks in mp3tag:

post-553157-0-18430400-1578692195_thumb.jpg

You can see that it has an Artist tag of "Rupert Holmes".

PenkethBoy

I think your folder structure is part of the problem

and emby is getting confused with all the various folders that are "not" albums - check the wiKI on music naming for examples

a simpler folder structure might solve your problems and/or tag your songs with MusicBrainz Picard app - and have the MBz metadata plugin enabled for the library

Yes you will have to do some work moving things around potentially but it will end up being a permanent fix if success full

I too had initial problems with Emby and my music when i first used it - but amending the tags with Picard and using a supported naming structure solved all those

For any compilation albums - i put these in a Various Artists folder - fully Tagged by MusicBrainz Picard and have no issues

I understand what you're saying about folder structure.  However, I have been trying to switch my music library from Plex to Emby for the same reason.  I don't see why the assumption would be made that the folder names would be significant in any way.

I did review the wiki on music file naming.  One of the options mentioned is to have all the songs in a single folder.  I did that and still have the same issue.

Honestly, I don't understand why there wouldn't be a simple way to create a library from a generic MP3 collection that only uses the ID3 tags.  Maybe this would be an enhancement request?

PenkethBoy

If plex is also having problems recognising your music then you probably need to consider re organising and checking your ID3 Tags - yes a pain - but if two completely different apps - which are both capable of reading various complex data structures are struggling - then......

Anyway

Emby - currently needs you to have a supported folder structure - for music to be recognised "correctly" - i.e. the folder name containing the songs is assumed to be the album name - could have been a different requirement but its what currently is done.

and also have accurate id3 tags - or ones that ffprobe can read

If you dont want to conform to those requirements - then you are going to have issues similar to those you are having

I accept there might be something else going on - but going to be very difficult to see what that might be without adjusting to Emby's folder requirements etc

Hope you get it sorted eventually