Kodi MediaImport Project

LongMan

LongMan

New Updates

Emby MediaImporter 0.0.9

Improvements

• import tags from TagItems (#19)
  • import thumbnails for actors
  • support importing movies and tvshows from mixed libraries (#31)

Bugfixes

• map "primary" artwork to "thumb" for episodes and musicvideos (#16)
  • don't set playcount value if item is unwatched but in progress (#24)
  • don't set the custom "emby" unique ID as the default (#13)

• Like 3

t123thomas

I just  installed this build, on windows 10, but I could not Media Importer in the list of addon,

Build Kodi 19.0 ALPHA 1 Git 2020603-47d39r62
Compile 2020-06-0

Since I couldn't find the addon as  part of default I went to download zip from this location and that didn't work, any suggestions

https://github.com/Montellese/mediaimporter.emby

Edited by t123thomas

LongMan

@@t123thomas

The repo is installed but disabled. Go to Settings>Addons>MyAddons>Add-on repository>Media Import Repository, and enable it. It should the pull the required scripts and you should be good.

The directions are on the wiki https://github.com/Montellese/xbmc/wiki/Emby-or-Jellyfin-Media-Importer

Edited by LongMan

horstepipe

@@LongMan

Hey

I finally started testing this. What I first noticed is the log is full of these

2020-06-10 18:03:23.497 T:12152   ERROR <general>: C:\Users\horstepipe\AppData\Roaming\Kodi18_6_Portable2 Mediaimport\portable_data\addons\script.module.urllib3\lib\urllib3\connectionpool.py:1004: InsecureRequestWarning: Unverified HTTPS request is being made to host 'domain.com'. Adding certificate verification is strongly advised. See: https://urllib3.readthedocs.io/en/latest/advanced-usage.html#ssl-warnings
                                                     InsecureRequestWarning,

My domain got a legit certificate by cloudflare, I'm not getting these errors with Emby for Kodi. Not sure whether this is a Kodi 19 or a Mediaimport Emby addon related problem.

Best regards

Montellese

@@LongMan

Hey

I finally started testing this. What I first noticed is the log is full of these

2020-06-10 18:03:23.497 T:12152   ERROR <general>: C:\Users\horstepipe\AppData\Roaming\Kodi18_6_Portable2 Mediaimport\portable_data\addons\script.module.urllib3\lib\urllib3\connectionpool.py:1004: InsecureRequestWarning: Unverified HTTPS request is being made to host 'domain.com'. Adding certificate verification is strongly advised. See: https://urllib3.readthedocs.io/en/latest/advanced-usage.html#ssl-warnings
                                                     InsecureRequestWarning,

My domain got a legit certificate by cloudflare, I'm not getting these errors with Emby for Kodi. Not sure whether this is a Kodi 19 or a Mediaimport Emby addon related problem.

Best regards

This is because I have explicitly disabled certificate verification until I found the time to properly handle HTTPS. Otherwise it would only work for HTTP.

• Thanks 1

Whilst I knew this work existed I had no idea it had moved along so far. It looks really promising.

Initial question I cannot find an answer from reading (kodi thread is very long).... has any special attention been put on multi-user. I currently use "Emby for Kodi" and whilst it has made valiant efforts the whole multiuser experience in Kodi is far from slick.

TeamB

I think user switching with the sync approach is always going to be problematic, yes you can use Kodi profile but you still need to sync content for each user when they switch, this is one of the reasons if not the main reason I wrote EmbyCon, I wanted all the members of my family to have their own user account and be able to switch between them fast. In EmbyCon there is a way to switch user in seconds however EmbyCon it is not SYNC it is load on demand (dynamic) but it works great for what I wanted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ee57psadz8

I dont want to OT this thread but I have a major interest in this whole topic as I have invested quite considerable effort getting multi device multi user with auth working (primarily so that I can centrally apply parental controls).

I found that EmbyCon needed more CPU grunt than my low end Amlogic players could provide and when the library scaled it often resulted in impractically long delays for the GUI (long enough to make users think it had crashed).

Happy to get into this real time (IRC/discord) or in another thread.

• Like 2

TeamB
57 minutes ago, xe` said:

I found that EmbyCon needed more CPU grunt than my low end Amlogic players could provide and when the library scaled it often resulted in impractically long delays for the GUI (long enough to make users think it had crashed).

Yep this is the biggest issue with dynamic content, and with low end systems it is not easy or even possible to solve. The only thing I can suggest is using some of the sub list queries to reduce the item per page like using pages or use A-Z or genres when viewing your movie collection.
Most of the time I am looking at TV or Recent added lists that are smaller in size so it is not a big issue for the Raspberry Pi's (3/4) I run Kodi on.

1 hour ago, xe` said:

I dont want to OT this thread

Agree, if you want start a new thread and perhaps there are others our there with use cases and tips about using lower end systems and dynamic content in Kodi.

Just to get back on to my original question. I am keen to discuss multi user within MediaImport and art cache. My experience of running multiple devices with multiple users and an Emby back end is not an especially happy one. I made it work but its not something I would recommend as-is as apart from being fragile it is a pain to setup and maintain.

The dbase goes out of sync often. If you make lots of changes in the backend media filesystem such as deletes, moves and additions between a sync window it often cant keep up, shows break and a new sync is needed.

So this is suggestion 1. Allow for single show/season/movie refreshes. Having to nuke and start again to fix one thing hurts. Obviously ideally problems dont occur in the first place but i think its safe to plan for them.

The second big issue is art cache. Since the removal of art cache path substitution support it is easily possible to fill the entire disk of small devices (RPi/AML etc) with cache because each user needs their own unique copy. I have 5 TV devices a VM and a desktop and 5 users... this means I should have 35 copies of every piece of artwork in my home. The upstream load of this is considerable so I decided to path sub anyway and accept that it makes me unsupported (but I have enough experience to handle support for this).

The way art caching works is going to have to change at some point its just to inefficient both for users and upstream. I dont have any magic bullets ideas here it needs a eureka moment.

Montellese
6 hours ago, xe` said:

So this is suggestion 1. Allow for single show/season/movie refreshes. Having to nuke and start again to fix one thing hurts. Obviously ideally problems dont occur in the first place but i think its safe to plan for them.

This is already (partially) possible. The add-on provides Emby-specific context menu items on imported media items and one of them is "Synchronize". The only missing part is that synchronizing a  TV show only synchronizes the metadata of the TV show and it doesn't synchronize update its seasons and / or episodes as well.

• Like 1

horstepipe
On 6/10/2020 at 11:11 PM, Montellese said:

This is because I have explicitly disabled certificate verification until I found the time to properly handle HTTPS. Otherwise it would only work for HTTP.

Thanks for the info.

Maybe the following problem is related to this issue?

When I startup Emby, "Retreiving media items" takes a very long time (about 30 minutes), even if there are no changes made in my media libraries. Isn't fast sync being utilized, yet? When I start Kodi with Emby for Kodi, it just takes seconds until it's ready. 

Edited by horstepipe

Montellese

I don't use HTTPS with my local Emby test server so I'm not sure. For me "Retrieving media items" usually takes a few seconds thanks to fast sync. You obviously need to have the Kodi Companion plugin installed and the respective setting enabled on the Emby media provider.

horstepipe
5 hours ago, Montellese said:

I don't use HTTPS with my local Emby test server so I'm not sure. For me "Retrieving media items" usually takes a few seconds thanks to fast sync. You obviously need to have the Kodi Companion plugin installed and the respective setting enabled on the Emby media provider.

Yes both is true here. May I pm you a log file?

Montellese
8 minutes ago, blublub said:

Is there now a way to install it just as an addon without the special Kodi build?

No there's a lot of extra stuff in the special Kodi build including the full Python API used by the media importer add-on(s).

Montellese
5 hours ago, Bambu Utila said:

Hi, if i want to try this project out, will this have any effect on my Emby database or data?

If you watch a video in Kodi that was imported from your Emby server Kodi will try to update the playback related metadata (watched / unwatched, playcount, resume position). But this can be disabled in the settings of the defined imports so you could set it up so that your Emby database is completely untouched.

Montellese
2 hours ago, horstepipe said:

Kodi debug or normal log?

Thanks!

Debug log is usually more helpful.

LongMan
1 hour ago, Gee1 said:

is MI actually working with Kodi 19 HDR?

No. Neither have been merged into the master branch. So for now they are separate builds containing each

• 2 weeks later...
blublub

Any chance for an updated build since now Kodi nightlies for windows officially support HDR?

LongMan

Finally HDR is in master. I am happy for you. Your very first post in this thread was about HDR on Windows.

IRC there hasn't been much change if any in MediaImport since the last build. However, it will need a rebase. Hopefully he will find some time to do it soon.

Cheers,

LongMan