Kodi MediaImport Project

LongMan

hstamas

Does this do any sort of polling for newly added content? I leave my instance of Kodi running 24/7 and in testing I have to exit out of a library view and then enter back in for it to update with new content. Emby for Kodi seems to do this dynamically.

Correction, I actually seem to have to quit Kodi and restart it for it to see new content.

Any feedback on this? I like the idea of using a built in solution for getting Emby content into Kodi but not being able to see new content without restarting isn’t going to work for me.

thanks all

LongMan

@@hstamas,

The expectation is that the experience will be more or less the same as with Emby for Kodi while allowing content from multiple servers. If the client is online, new content should be showing up immediately with the current build. If you are not seeing that, please help us by posting a debug log.

With regards to sync after returning online, most of that is already implemented here, he is just waiting for some info to complete it. So all things being equal, fast sync will be in the next build.

Please continue to provide feedback. we appreciate it

Cheers,

LongMan

hstamas

@@hstamas,

The expectation is that the experience will be more or less the same as with Emby for Kodi while allowing content from multiple servers. If the client is online, new content should be showing up immediately with the current build. If you are not seeing that, please help us by posting a debug log.

With regards to sync after returning online, most of that is already implemented here, he is just waiting for some info to complete it. So all things being equal, fast sync will be in the next build.

Please continue to provide feedback. we appreciate it

Cheers,

LongMan

Yeah Im definitely not seeing immediate syncing of new content what so ever. This was on a test machine Windows VM that I have since deleted. Any idea when the Mac build will be available again so I can test properly and get you some logs?

blublub

Any time line on when this will become a real addon that I can use in any v19 build and not only the linked installers in post 1?

ntilagoa

@@sualfred

I didn't try this yet but I am curious to test it.

How will this work with embuary ? Already test it?

And about mixed content.? (At the moment embuary work great with mixed content and emby for Kodi)

Thank you

rapteev

Hi

I want to try this.

If I import media from 2 different emby servers how the mediaimport handles movies or tv shows that are duplicated on the 2 servers?

Thanks

LongMan
If I import media from 2 different emby servers how the mediaimport handles movies or tv shows that are duplicated on the 2 servers?

Hi,

Right now, they will appear as duplicates in the library.

There is a Kodi PR to handle multiple versions of movies but it hasn't been merged yet. That author said he will work on duplicate episodes once the movie one is merged.

It should be noted that a single tv show imported from multiple servers will show as one show in Kodi. That's a part of the MediaImport logic. However, like movies, episodes would show as duplicates. The handling of duplicate episodes is not considered a part of MediaImport and will have be taken care of separately.

Montellese have given it serious thought and has worked out how he would implement it and for the most part, actually did in a branch in his fork. He was considering the multiple edge cases when he stopped. However,  his focus right now is on getting MediaImport up to par.

We would really appreciate your feedback. Give it a spin and let us know what you think.

Cheers,

LongMan

Edited by LongMan

rapteev

Hi

I give this a try on a nvidia shield tv.

I have 2 media servers. 1 local running emby on a Windows server 2016, other on a remote machine running Plex on Linux.

Importing from local emby server seems to work ok( still importing as I write this) but comparing to emby for kodi is much slower importing my library.

I also try adding the Plex remote server , but that do not work. I go to media sources, add provider, Plex and put my IP address and port and it just gives an error and do not connect. Is this already working?

Thank you

LongMan

Yes, it is slower than Emby for Kodi. Emby for Kodi bypass the sanity checks for writing to the database. Montellese is aware of this and will be looking into parallelizing the tasks wherever he can to improve efficiency.

With regards to Plex, I haven't tried it myself but it should be working. Could you post a log here if you registered on the Kodi forum.  Let's keep Emby here.

Cheers,

LongMan

Edited by LongMan

• 2 weeks later...
blublub

It's still FULL full Kodir builds, so no. To work with the unofficial HDR Versions one would make a build containing media importer and HDR code - or mediaimporter as a plug in

• 3 weeks later...
LongMan

New Builds posted in first post.

• Rebased to current Kodi Master.
  • Incremental Sync (Fast Sync),
  • Emby Connect and more ...

Cheers,

LongMan

Edited by LongMan
  • Like 2

horstepipe

I am not sure if Jenkins does tvOS builds. I will ask when he is doing the next build.

Hey

Sorry I don’t want to push you, but maybe you just forgot to ask?

Thanks for the fast sync update. Now I‘m able to test :-)

horstepipe

Thank you very much @@LongMan

is there a list of things which do not work yet (regarding Emby)?
I will test all kind of database operations (like renaming seasons, add/remove movies to collections etc.) as these where common issues with Emby for Kodi which all had to be fixed over the time. So I don't want to report things you're already aware of :-)

LongMan

These are the documented issues. And as you can see most are included now. Transcoding being major one left.

However, you are able to do more rigorous testing than most of us. So, don't be shy. Afterall the aim is to make it as robust as possible.

If you can, put the results in the Kodi forum, that way Montellese will see them in case i am out.

Happy testing,

LongMan

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
neik

I am not quite sure I got it right:

Is this something similar to Emby4Kodi and EmbyCon?

Edited by neik

TeamB

There are two main ways for Kodi to display items:

- From its internal DB (Syncing)

- As a list of ListItems generated by an add-on (Dynamic)

There are advantages and disadvantages with both of there when dealing with external sources.

From its internal DB (Syncing)

Pros

• Fast, as fast as it is ever going to get
  • All local data
  • Other add-ons can use the data

Cons

• Can be problematic to sync data to and from external sources
  • Data can get out of sync
  • Large data changes or constantly changing data on the external source will cause lots of sync time
  • Getting syncing correct is not trivial

As a list of ListItems generated by an add-on (Dynamic)

Pros

• Data is directly loaded form external source when it is needed (like a web page)
  • Data should always be the latest from the external source
  • Changes on the external source show up immediately on next request

Cons

• Add-on (Python) data processing is not as fast or local DB and c++ code
  • External source query speed becomes part of the delay in displaying items
  • Other add-ons can not access items

So with that in mind the different add-ons use different approaches:

Emby for Kodi :- uses a combination of the above, both DB syncing and can also do dynamic

EmbyCon :- uses only dynamic, no DB syncing at all

Kodi MediaImport :- uses only syncing

Going forward (the future)

Emby for Kodi :- Stable and working, has not been updated in a few month, currently will not work with Kodi 19 Matrix (Python 3)

EmbyCon :- Stable and working, I maintain it, works with Kodi 19 Matrix

Kodi MediaImport :- Not stable or released yet, active development from Kodi team member, Only Kodi 19 Matrix support

So when will Kodi 19 Matrix be released?

My guess is 12 months from now.

• Like 5