Kodi MediaImport Project

LongMan

horstepipe

Hey

for users who only rely on Kodi + Emby for Kodi, are there any benefits when using this instead? How is adding of new content being handled (when Kodi was not running while new content has been added to Emby server)? Does this also rely on the Kodi companion server plugin?

Edited by horstepipe

LongMan

@@horstepipe,

Keep in mind that MediaImport is more than just getting Emby content into Kodi. it predates Emby for Kodi.

With regards to offline devices and startup sync, it will be more less the same as Emby for Kodi. And yes it would depend on server plugin. I think you understand that the server plugin is saving server events, hence any Emby client that is not relying on a dynamic link to Emby libraries will probably need that plugin. Once the server start storing this info, the plugin would no longer be needed.

In addition, as he encounters shortcomings in Kodi as it applies to imported items, he is adding features to Kodi's core to enable it to handle it more efficiently and elegantly. This will also be to the benefit of Emby for Kodi and EmbyCon. In some cases they already have. So a win win situation.

In response to a similar question, I wrote the post linked below.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/75926-what-endpoint-to-update-a-users-watched-position/?p=817206

Hope that helps.

If you have further questions, please ask away.

Cheers,

LongMan

Edited by LongMan
  • Like 1

blublub

My understanding is that both are features that have not yet been merged. Hopefully soon there will be a version with both.

Ah crap. So I can't test the Kodi HDR builds and media importer together. Edited by blublub

I want to test this but I can't find the repro? When I go to install from repro I can't find a mediaimport repro?

Edit: Found it in github...

Edit2: Would love to see music as import also... ;-)

Edited by bgx

horstepipe

Isn’t working on this project the perfect opportunity to add an audio book database with resume points to Kodi? :-)

*duck*

Edited by horstepipe

LongMan

Audio Book Database would be amazing. Unfortunately, it is out of the scope of this project.

There is  some support for audiobooks https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/11147 and https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/15227.

If a database for audio-books is implemented, then it would be possible to add it to media Import.

MediaImport is progressing nicely. Let's see how it goes.

Cheers,

LongMan

xnappo

Just confirming this works fine now with the MySQL change.  Would consider switching to this on my 'real' systems if it gets included in Kodi 19 (I don't mess with non-release versions with the family systems, they are happy as is..)

LongMan
Just confirming this works fine now with the MySQL change.

Thanks for the feedback.

Would consider switching to this on my 'real' systems if it gets included in Kodi 19 (I don't mess with non-release versions with the family systems, they are happy as is..)

There is steady progress, so let's see how it goes. It is close to parity on videos. Transcoding is probably the last major item.

hstamas

Does this do any sort of polling for newly added content? I leave my instance of Kodi running 24/7 and in testing I have to exit out of a library view and then enter back in for it to update with new content. Emby for Kodi seems to do this dynamically.

Correction, I actually seem to have to quit Kodi and restart it for it to see new content.

Edited by hstamas

jachin99

I want to run this build, and the stable build on the same PC so that I can test changes in my current configuration, and test future builds.  I installed the kodi media import project in a separate folder from my standard kodi install but kodi media import still appears to load my addons from the appdata folder.  Can move the location of the files stored in appdata so each instance of Kodi loads different sets of userdata and addons?

jachin99

Just use a portable install: Kodi.exe -p

So if I understand correctly I launch it from the command line using the -p flag?  Will changes like skin, additional addons, etc. be saved or will I start fresh each time?  Thanks. 

hstamas

So if I understand correctly I launch it from the command line using the -p flag?  Will changes like skin, additional addons, etc. be saved or will I start fresh each time?  Thanks. 

Easiest way is to install as usual but put it in a non-default location. Then create a shortcut to the exe adding the -p flag to the properties of the shortcut. As long as you keep launching this instance of Kodi from the shortcut all your customizations stay intact and separate from your native install.

https://www.redmondpie.com/want-multiple-kodi-portable-mode-installations-on-pc-or-usb-drive-heres-how-to-do-it/

Edited by hstamas

raptorjr

I apologize for a dumb question, but I don't understand how to install the Addon. I removed Kodi from my Windows 10 and installed this special version, but can't find the addon to install? Only change I see is the Media Sources in Settings.

RadicalRat

I apologize for a dumb question, but I don't understand how to install the Addon. I removed Kodi from my Windows 10 and installed this special version, but can't find the addon to install? Only change I see is the Media Sources in Settings.

I had the same issue.  I went to Settings -> Add-ons -> My Add-ons -> All.  Found Media Import Repository was disabled.  Once enabled you can go to Install from Repository -> Media Import Repository -> Media importer and install "Emby Media Importer"

• Like 1

raptorjr

I had the same issue.  I went to Settings -> Add-ons -> My Add-ons -> All.  Found Media Import Repository was disabled.  Once enabled you can go to Install from Repository -> Media Import Repository -> Media importer and install "Emby Media Importer"

Thank you. That was the problem. Maybe should be enabled by default or added to the first post.

• Like 1

raptorjr

So now I have started to test on my Windows 10 laptop. My first question is that it seems that if you exit a playback(series), after just a few seconds, the episode is marked as watched? Is this the place to report bugs or where is the best place?

My other question is that if this works acceptable good I would like to install it to my RPi. But how often are the Milhouse builds updated? Is there any possibility that this will be a part of the official Milhouse builds anytime soon? I don't mind testing things and supplying bug reports and logs, but if it take a long time to get response or the bug fixed, then I just need to wait for thing to get a little more stable. A crash here and there are no problem, but if a bug stops me from using Kodi for a few weeks it is not as fun to be in the front and test.