Emby Guide Data vs Schedules Direct?

speedingcheetah
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

speedingcheetah

I just noticed that there is a "Emby Guide Data" option to use as source for Guide.

How does this compare to Schedules Direct?

I deleted S.D and switched to E.G.D. as it seem that is free?? I can't see any differance, or than more tags seem to show up, like NEW and Repeat...

(I've been paying for S.D each year now, had no idea Emby had a free data source option)

Spaceboy

So long as you are from one of the two supported countries emby guide data is fine.

Personally I still use SD as it still seems more reliable to me. I don’t see the issues you mention with tags but I probably use a different way of getting the data into emby from what you do, xmltv.

The biggest issue with emby guide data (and sd when it was the source for emby) is that unless you are using a hdhr the process of mapping channels to data is a horrible experience. And is not able to be backed up so you may find yourself doing it many times.

speedingcheetah

So long as you are from one of the two supported countries emby guide data is fine.

Personally I still use SD as it still seems more reliable to me. I don’t see the issues you mention with tags but I probably use a different way of getting the data into emby from what you do, xmltv.

The biggest issue with emby guide data (and sd when it was the source for emby) is that unless you are using a hdhr the process of mapping channels to data is a horrible experience. And is not able to be backed up so you may find yourself doing it many times.

I saw the XMLTV option, no idea what that is...

I am using a HDHR Prime and in the USA.

For me, E.G.D. seems to be identical to S.D. service.

Spaceboy

I saw the XMLTV option, no idea what that is...

I am using a HDHR Prime and in the USA.

For me, E.G.D. seems to be identical to S.D. service.

well as I say you live in a vanilla world so everything is rosy!

Not everyone is so lucky

speedingcheetah

So far, i see tags i never seen with S.D. as source.....now many things say Repeat where it didn't before. that is handy. (i  did have those tags enabled in the settings before)

The Guide refresh seems to be faster, and the Guide page loads faster a tad even.

Guess i no longer need to pay for S.D. sub anymore.  (which i just did for 1yr a couple months ago.. :wacko:   wish i had seen this option sooner.

Edited by speedingcheetah

Direct integration with Schedules Direct will be going away soon.  You could still use them as a source via xml.

speedingcheetah

Direct integration with Schedules Direct will be going away soon.  You could still use them as a source via xml.

WHy is that?

S.D been very reliable for years and u can go into your S.D. account and tweak the line up, not sure why would need to though?

Is Emby Guide Data a replacement then?  What data source is it pulling from?   Zap2It like S.D?

What is "xml" guide  service?  All i find o that is something to do with "MediaPortal" software.

• 3 months later...
BlueSnake

Will EGD rolled out in other countries like Germany, after the SD integration is cancelled? XMLTV ist not a very good alternative to SD.

Spaceboy

It’s been about 18 months since the direct integration with SD was cancelled. Read into that what you will. For me SD plus epg123 and the xmltv route works perfectly well

BlueSnake

I know that the direct integration of SD was cancelled. The question is when it will stop working.

The statement "Direct integration with Schedules Direct will be going away soon." Was done on december 19, so only a few months ago. So maybe SD will stop working in the near future. That was the reason why I was asking.

Spaceboy

I know that the direct integration of SD was cancelled. The question is when it will stop working.

The statement "Direct integration with Schedules Direct will be going away soon." Was done on december 19, so only a few months ago. So maybe SD will stop working in the near future. That was the reason why I was asking.

well you actually asked whether epg would be rolled out to other countries, specifically Germany, any time soon. I’m saying do not hold your breath