Cannot disable captions

oneduality

• 2 years later...
JayG7800

I appear to be having this issue with the Roku app, as well (it's not present when using the Android app).

- Pressing * on the remote, the Roku states Closed Captioning is off

- Emby - Playback settings - Burn in SSA subtitles is off

- When playing a live TV station, I can press the down arrow, select the CC icon and shut off CC, but I have to do this every time I change shows or channels.  The options under CC are: Off (None), and Und (Default EIA_608).  Selecting the first option does shut them off temporarily.  

Stats for Nerds says:

Stream MPEGTS (15.384 Mbps) -> HLS (15.384 31fps) converting to a compatible container

Video 1080i MPEG2VIDEO -> Direct Play (15Mbs)

Audio English AC3 5.1 -> Directl Play (384 Kbs)

Emby for Roku - 4.0.71

Emby Server for Windows - 4.7.11.0 

----- Edit -----

It looks like I may have been able to solve this by logging into Emby via the web UI in the affected user account, and disabling subtitles there.  So, this seems to potentially be a bug with the settings options in the Roku client itself?

Edited by JayG7800

The issue is the captions are marked as default. When playing these will appear by default unless you have modified your user account using the web UI.

To have them only appear when necessary you would need to use "Smart" on your user account via the web UI ...OR... just disable them altogether then you have to manually enable when you want them.

See here:

Edited by speechles