Cannot disable captions

oneduality

oneduality

This was an issue in the past, it went away for months and now it's back..

Every time I play a video  the captions turn on again.. I turn them off, they come right back in the next video.. it's extremely annoying.

It only does this in the Emby app, every other app is fine.. I use PlayOn, Youtube, Hulu, Amazon, Shudder.. etc.. no issues at all

How can this be fixed? I'd be hard pressed to blame the Roku .. Captions are set to off in settings.. Subtitles are set to "Off" in my profile on Emby but then they always turn back on and when I hit the * button to turn them off it's set to "Always on"

It might be possible the Roku firmware is turning these ON if you first play the item and the subtitles are marked as default. You should be able to push down and bring up the OSD of the video player as the item plays. Use the subtitlte icon to change subtitles. Turn them off on the video player should turn them permanently off for that item afterwards. They should also be "off" if they show as OFF on the items detail screen. But it is possible that during start of the item a default flag might cause the Roku to always show them. Turning them off during video playback should always turn them off.

Edited by speechles

I am having the same issue and it is compounded by the fact that when I press down while watching a video the subtitle option is not shown.  I have to back out of the video to select subtitles.  even when I select to turn them off they still show.  All of this is a recent behavior

I'm running 4.3.1 on the server. 

I am having the same issue and it is compounded by the fact that when I press down while watching a video the subtitle option is not shown.  I have to back out of the video to select subtitles.  even when I select to turn them off they still show.  All of this is a recent behavior

I'm running 4.3.1 on the server. 

What exactly happens when you press down? What version of the Roku app are you running?

What exactly happens when you press down? What version of the Roku app are you running?

It depends on what I'm watching, but it's a usually a gear icon and the 'i' information icon.  I no longer see the audio or subtitle selection icons.  ver 3.0 build 155

It depends on what I'm watching, but it's a usually a gear icon and the 'i' information icon.  I no longer see the audio or subtitle selection icons.  ver 3.0 build 155

Hi.  Do you see those selections on the web app for that same item?  What about in the media info for the item?

Hi.  Do you see those selections on the web app for that same item?  What about in the media info for the item?

Yes I can see them in the web app.  Again if I back out of the video on roku the captioning and audio options are there.  However when I change the captioning option there is no effect during video playback.  I've tried this across multiple files. 

This was not an issue until I recently updated emby server. 

Yes I can see them in the web app.  Again if I back out of the video on roku the captioning and audio options are there.  However when I change the captioning option there is no effect during video playback.  I've tried this across multiple files. 

This was not an issue until I recently updated emby server. 

Hi.  Can we look at the details for a specific example?  Thanks.

How to Report a Problem

This is what I see when I press down:

5e0e68a206d4d_1.jpg

I have to back out of the video and this is the only way I can select subtitles or audio:

5e0e68b651d64_2.jpg

Hi.  Can you please provide the media info from the bottom of the detail page on the web app for this particular item?

Thanks.

Hi.  Can you please provide the media info from the bottom of the detail page on the web app for this particular item?

Thanks.

5e0fc4d0021f8_3.jpg

Hi.  That is the stats display in the Roku app.

Please bring up this same item in the web app and scroll to the bottom of the detail page and show us the information under "Media Info" there.

Thanks.

Hi.  That is the stats display in the Roku app.

Please bring up this same item in the web app and scroll to the bottom of the detail page and show us the information under "Media Info" there.

Thanks.

5e102126d1a6a_browser.jpg

Hi.  Before playing that item, you were on its detail screen (most likely).  At the bottom of the page is something like the below.  That is what I'd like to see.  Thanks.

Media Info
Video
Title1080p HEVC
CodecHEVC
ProfileMain 10
Level120
Resolution1920x800
HeaderAspectRatio2.40:1
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.976
Bitrate2,290 kbps
HeaderPixelFormatyuv420p10le
HeaderReferenceFrames1
Audio
TitleAAC 7.1 (Default)
CodecAAC
ProfileHE-AAC
Layout7.1
Channels8 ch
Bitrate320 kbps
HeaderSampleRate48,000 Hz
DefaultYes
Subtitle
TitleEnglish English
LanguageEnglish
CodecSUBRIP
DefaultYes
ForcedNo
ExternalNo
Subtitle
TitleHebrew Hebrew
LanguageHebrew
CodecSUBRIP
DefaultNo
ForcedYes
ExternalNo
Subtitle
TitleEnglish (SRT)
LanguageEnglish
CodecSRT
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalYes
Subtitle
TitleSpanish (SSA)
LanguageSpanish
CodecSSA
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalYes
Subtitle
TitleFrench (SRT)
LanguageFrench
CodecSRT
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalYes
Containermkv
Path\\MEDIASERVER\Movies\HD\War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)\War.for.the.Planet.of.the.Apes.2017.REPACK.1080p.10bit.BluRay.8CH.x265.HEVC-PSA-repost.mkv
Size2297MB

5e110ff5aee77_4.jpg

Hi.  Before playing that item, you were on its detail screen (most likely).  At the bottom of the page is something like the below.  That is what I'd like to see.  Thanks.

Media Info
Video
Title1080p HEVC
CodecHEVC
ProfileMain 10
Level120
Resolution1920x800
HeaderAspectRatio2.40:1
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.976
Bitrate2,290 kbps
HeaderPixelFormatyuv420p10le
HeaderReferenceFrames1
Audio
TitleAAC 7.1 (Default)
CodecAAC
ProfileHE-AAC
Layout7.1
Channels8 ch
Bitrate320 kbps
HeaderSampleRate48,000 Hz
DefaultYes
Subtitle
TitleEnglish English
LanguageEnglish
CodecSUBRIP
DefaultYes
ForcedNo
ExternalNo
Subtitle
TitleHebrew Hebrew
LanguageHebrew
CodecSUBRIP
DefaultNo
ForcedYes
ExternalNo
Subtitle
TitleEnglish (SRT)
LanguageEnglish
CodecSRT
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalYes
Subtitle
TitleSpanish (SSA)
LanguageSpanish
CodecSSA
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalYes
Subtitle
TitleFrench (SRT)
LanguageFrench
CodecSRT
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalYes
Containermkv
Path\\MEDIASERVER\Movies\HD\War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)\War.for.the.Planet.of.the.Apes.2017.REPACK.1080p.10bit.BluRay.8CH.x265.HEVC-PSA-repost.mkv
Size2297MB

oneduality

Glad this has gotten attention.. I brought this up before but it faded.. and sorry for lack of response but I've been sick :(

I hope this can be resolved.. Emby seems to be the only app I have that disobeys the setting to turn CC off.. it's quite frustrating

And like I said I've tried it on Roku, Web and iPhone ( sorry, i don't have android ) .. for me it only happens on Roku..  the thing is.. it ONLY happens with this app .. it also happens on the beta .. I don't know what the software assumes, or if it chooses a default based on whatever.. but it would be nice if it just obeyed the option to disable cc :) .. it doesn't .. I'm clearly not the only one with the problem.. it's been an issue for me for a couple of years.. I reported it before.. but I know it's low priority, we have seen issues and requests 5 years or so old.. :/ .. I paid! .. help  =)

Edited by oneduality

Glad this has gotten attention.. I brought this up before but it faded.. and sorry for lack of response but I've been sick :(

I hope this can be resolved.. Emby seems to be the only app I have that disobeys the setting to turn CC off.. it's quite frustrating

And like I said I've tried it on Roku, Web and iPhone ( sorry, i don't have android ) .. for me it only happens on Roku..  the thing is.. it ONLY happens with this app .. it also happens on the beta .. I don't know what the software assumes, or if it chooses a default based on whatever.. but it would be nice if it just obeyed the option to disable cc :) .. it doesn't .. I'm clearly not the only one with the problem.. it's been an issue for me for a couple of years.. I reported it before.. but I know it's low priority, we have seen issues and requests 5 years or so old.. :/ .. I paid! .. help  =)

What is your subtitle handling for the user set to in user settings on the server?

Emby is the only Roku app you will use that will have intelligent subtitle handling.  All the others just use a global setting.

oneduality

Mine is set to "Default", it isn't set to "Smart"

It's just annoying that when I'm watching a tv series, I select "Off" and then in the next episode there they are again. 

I'd rather only have them on when I want them on which seems like that would be the better "Default"

"Smart" would even be a better default, at least then it would only load if the language didn't match my own.. But that's not what "Default" says it does.

It would be great if I could set what the default was via the control panel since I can't seem to find any way to do that currently.. I won't be able to test it any time soon, but all I know is that for the longest time this never happened and then it began being a thing that would happen randomly.. then it seemed like it wouldn't happen again for quite some time.

Ok so you simply set them to off for one episode, and then you expected it to apply to the next episode. It doesn't quite work that way. 

I'd rather only have them on when I want them on which seems like that would be the better "Default"

"Smart" would even be a better default, at least then it would only load if the language didn't match my own.. But that's not what "Default" says it does.

Why not just pick smart then?

oneduality

Ok so you simply set them to off for one episode, and then you expected it to apply to the next episode. It doesn't quite work that way. 

Why not just pick smart then?

I wasn't aware of the option.. like I said, I never had this problem until one day and then even still it seemed random.. When I brought this up before, none of this was mentioned.. but now I turned it off all together.

Why can't I as admin set the default in the control panel? seems it would be a good option to have a "default" profile setup.

Any way.. we'll see.. Thank you for the good help @Chief Bottle Washer

I never had this problem until one day and then even still it seemed random.. 

I suspect what happened was a situation where an audio track wasn't labeled properly with its language.  So the system thought you needed subs.

Hopefully, "Smart" gets you what you want.  If not, you can set it to "off" and only turn them on when needed.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

That is very strange.  Can you please try the beta version of the app and see if it shows the "CC" option during playback?

I finally got a chance to install the beta version on Roku and the CC icon appears in the lower left of the screen.  I verified it does not appear at all while playing a video in the non beta version.