How is Traffic Viewed by my ISP?

quackpipe

quackpipe

How does my ISP see my outgoing network traffic?  Do they see the actual music titles? Movie titles? and Podcast titles? Or is it just file type information that they see. I have about 15 users. 5 of them are in my house, 7 of them are scattered around the country and a few are in different corners of the world.  I'm probably streaming about 10-15 hrs a day to various users mostly HD content. I don't have an SSL cert setup yet and wondering if I should if my ISP is snooping on my data.  

Thanks!

darkassassin07

As long as you have setup HTTPS for your remote access, your ISP and anyone/anything else monitoring that data transmission can see X client is connected to Y server, and roughly how much data is being sent back/fourth. The actual data itself is encrypted between client/server, so they can't see what exactly is being sent/received, just roughly how much data there is.

Edited by darkassassin07

quackpipe

Thank you both. To enable HTTPS I need to do that whole SSL cert setup, right?

My buddy just got Plex and apparently it’s just a checkbox to enable ssl on that system.

Happy2Play

With Emby you have to setup your ssl configuration as it is your server.  Where the other guys, you are login into their server not yours.

quackpipe

Last question if anyone has experience setting this up, will I need to forward that secure port (8920) to my router? Similar to how i setup 8096?

• 1 month later...
quackpipe

Another question.

When I sign in from https://emby.media/ "sign in" button my browser says it's "Not Secure" But when I'm signing in from my subdomain i've created the SSL certificate is recognized and it's secure.

Does traffic routed from emby.media not call the SSL certificate? What about traffic from the IOS or android apps? I thought I turned all remote access requires a secure connection.  

Does any of this make sense?

quackpipe

Boom, Thanks Luke. 

Q-Droid, I still need 8096 locally, right?

EDIT:

Oh wait, but I can remove the routing on my network.  Got it.

Edited by quackpipe