VirtualTV plugin

pünktchen

AaronClarke

Hi,

I have been using your plugin for quite some time now and I love it. 

I have created some genre specific movie channels for use with the account we use for the living room.

One of these though is a horror channel. Unfortunately, my wife does not like the idea that the kids could potentially put the TV on and see this channel during the day. 

Is there anyway that this channel could be configured to only start showing programs after a certain time once the kids are in bed?

Cheers

pünktchen
57 minutes ago, AaronClarke said:

Is there anyway that this channel could be configured to only start showing programs after a certain time once the kids are in bed?

Not in the plugin, but with default Emby functionality you can achieve something similar. You could tag the tv channels and restrict the kids with the access control options of the profile.

AaronClarke

The kids profiles are already restricted in this way for when they connected using their own devices. I have a specific account that is used by everyone for watching TV in the Living room so Ideally would need to be able to to set a channel to only broadcast say between 9pm and 5am

• 1 month later...
sirmiketr

Hiya,

I was wondering if you could help me with the Genre filtering, i'm trying to filter out any animation/family for a specific channel.

image.thumb.png.1fa1e94f91e008e592d2493e52081c01.png

I've been trying this way but I still get the genres:
!Animation || !Comedy

What would be the most optimal way to filter out multiple genres?

pünktchen
On 2/26/2023 at 6:59 PM, sirmiketr said:

I've been trying this way but I still get the genres:
!Animation || !Comedy

That's the correct syntax. Make sure you have "*All channel rules have to be TRUE" enabled.

JeremyG

Duuuude!  Just found this plugin.  This is the best, thanks so much!    

Do you have a "Donate" link?

JeremyG

I was all excited for this but unfortunately it doesnt work on Roku Emby app.   Viritual channel plays fine on PC, and but if I try on Roku the whole Emby app crashes out to Roku menu.  :(

roaku
15 minutes ago, JeremyG said:

I was all excited for this but unfortunately it doesnt work on Roku Emby app.   Viritual channel plays fine on PC, and but if I try on Roku the whole Emby app crashes out to Roku menu.  :(

It does work on Roku, but Rokus are pretty finicky about track orders, codecs, subtitles, embedded images, etc.

These media issues generally cause the Roku Emby app to crash when in the playlist playback mode.

The primary Roku Emby app developer was going to take a look at potential improvements on this awhile back. I'm not sure if any progress has been made.

• Like 1

andrewds
1 hour ago, JeremyG said:

Hey @JeremyG. I use Roku exclusively for Emby and I had the same issue at first. I am not able to get Continuous playback to work with Roku, but I settled on Playlist (Archive) and I've had no issues. FWIW most of my library is HEVC/AAC (though I do have some H264 here and there) and I'm using Emby server on Windows with hardware accelerated transcoding.

Tremas

I have also been using Roku successfully with this plug for a few years. I use playlist (live) as it's my preferred method. It has worked on channels with 4k movies at the high end and tiny music videos on the low end without issue. As mentioned previously, the more you have to process the stream (subtitles, transcoding, etc.) the more finicky Roku can be, but if it plays well through the Roku without the plugin in should work well.

First, make sure you are running the latest Roku ap. I know there was an issue in the past with it crashing on this plugin because I reported it at the time. This was fixed several releases back. If you're still having problems in on the latest Roku release, please report the problem in the Roku topic forum and the team will be happy to assist you.

matt_ttam123

Thanks so much for making this plugin I only found out about this today!

I seem to be having issues with Continous (Live) where it wont actually start the stream even though I can transcode videos fine, if it matters at all I'm running Emby in an Unraid docker container. I tested on two devices my PC and an AppleTV same outcome for both the video doesnt play.

I then tried changing it to Playlist (Live) which works fine on my PC streaming through the web browser but I still am unable to stream via the AppleTV :( appreciate any help on this

pünktchen
38 minutes ago, matt_ttam123 said:

I seem to be having issues with Continous (Live) where it wont actually start the stream even though I can transcode videos fine, if it matters at all I'm running Emby in an Unraid docker container.

Do you have some special portmapping for your container where the host port to access the Emby webinterface is not the same as the Emby server port inside your docker container?

PuffyToesToo
On 3/4/2023 at 5:10 PM, JeremyG said:

Can you post a screenshot of the channel settings etc? Maybe someone can help. Lots of us are using it with Roku. 

egadgetkids

OP is outdated and screenshots do not match the latest version.  Some of the newer fields and options are not shown/explained, etc.

It would also help to clarify the process of setting up the EPG.  I figured it out eventually, but it doesn't mention the need to set it up in the original post.

egadgetkids
6 minutes ago, egadgetkids said:

OP is outdated and screenshots do not match the latest version.  Some of the newer fields and options are not shown/explained, etc.

It would also help to clarify the process of setting up the EPG.  I figured it out eventually, but it doesn't mention the need to set it up in the original post.

Q: I just need to know what the different playback methods do...

GrimReaper
29 minutes ago, egadgetkids said:

Are you referring to exporting channels? 

22 minutes ago, egadgetkids said:

Q: I just need to know what the different playback methods do...

Thought that was covered in the OP:

On 12/27/2019 at 7:33 PM, pünktchen said:

The plugin has two general playback modes: "continous" and "playlist" playback.

you can also choose between "live", which bahaves like real live tv or "archive", which plays the videos from the start.

In "continous" mode multiple videos are queued and concatenated to one big file with the help of ffmpeg. To make this happen every video in the queue has to have some common features (video and audio codec). That's why it often happens that the video also has to be transcoded by ffmpeg.

For transcoding the plugin relies on Emby's internal transcoding engine. If there's a problem, not uncommon with hardware acceleration enabled, the plugin also has a problem. Nothing i can do about it.

The availability of subtitle tracks is mostly dependant of the Emby user playback settings. In continous playback mode only one (the default) subtitle track can be used and this one has to be burnded into the video (transcoding takes place).

In "playlist" playback mode the videos are pushed as a playlist to the Emby clients. It's like you would play your videos directly from your libraries. This way you get all the features you are used to. Audio and subtitle selection, pause, skipping around and similar things.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

egadgetkids
1 hour ago, GrimReaper said:

Are you referring to exporting channels?

I suspect some won't realize that you have to create an EPG for Virtual TV, then locate the XML file it creates.

Edited by egadgetkids

GrimReaper
Just now, egadgetkids said:

I suspect some won't realize that you have to create an EPG for Virtual TV, then locate the XML file it creates.

I'm still not following, create it for what? To use with external app? Else there's no need if using within Emby only. 

egadgetkids

Thought that was covered in the OP:

On 12/27/2019 at 3:33 PM, pünktchen said:

The plugin has two general playback modes: "continous" and "playlist" playback.

Wow thanks!  I must have totally spaced that out...  Not sure how I missed it.

egadgetkids

For simplicity sake, if I want to include only a few shows in a channel, can I point to my media folder (say, TV...), then add the show titles in the "Always Include" field, and then put an asterisk in the "Always Exclude" field?  Or is there a different/better way?

Speaking of better ways, I'd encourage dev to look at ErsatzTV.  While their setup process is relatively nonsensical, the method of selecting shows and navigating that particular process is really handy...

egadgetkids
3 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

I'm still not following, create it for what? To use with external app? Else there's no need if using within Emby only. 

Ah thanks, maybe I'm missing something.  I didn't find my new test channel in the Guide, so I created an XML guide for Virtual TV.  It did appear wayyyy down at the bottom of the list (below my PlutoTV channels, etc), so maybe it was there all along?  I need to go back and test... this is Day 1 with this plugin and I'm still orienting myself.

GrimReaper
12 minutes ago, egadgetkids said:

For simplicity sake, if I want to include only a few shows in a channel, can I point to my media folder (say, TV...), then add the show titles in the "Always Include" field, and then put an asterisk in the "Always Exclude" field?  Or is there a different/better way?

There is. "Always..." fields are practically overrides only and you need to set at least one channel rule - in your example would be easiest to add "Release date equal or newer:" 1900 or similar. Or you could tag all those shows and add a Tag rule. 

10 minutes ago, egadgetkids said:

I didn't find my new test channel in the Guide, so I created an XML guide for Virtual TV.  It did appear wayyyy down at the bottom of the list (below my PlutoTV channels, etc), so maybe it was there all along?

It likely was. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo

matt_ttam123
8 hours ago, pünktchen said:

Do you have some special portmapping for your container where the host port to access the Emby webinterface is not the same as the Emby server port inside your docker container?

Nope the ports are the same for both and the docker container is in host mode too super strange right 😅

egadgetkids

There is. "Always..." fields are practically overrides only and you need to set at least one channel rule - in your example would be easiest to add "Release date equal or newer:" 1900 or similar. Or you could tag all those shows and add a Tag rule. 

Quirky, glad you brought this up. I think I'll try "Release Date equal or newer than" 1900.  Good idea :D

Edited by egadgetkids