VirtualTV plugin

pünktchen

eeeeeesy
On 12/17/2021 at 5:51 PM, pünktchen said:

This should work:

Set the days to download and hours to suspend guide data.

Delete the VirtualTVGuide.txt under the plugins\configuration folder.

Restart Emby and do a guide refresh.

after the 48 hours my guide didnt populate. it just show no programming info

pünktchen
19 hours ago, eeeeeesy said:

after the 48 hours my guide didnt populate. it just show no programming info

What is the modified date of the "VirtualTVGuideRefresh" file? Does it correspond to your last guide refresh time after the 48 hours have past?

eeeeeesy
59 minutes ago, pünktchen said:

What is the modified date of the "VirtualTVGuideRefresh" file? Does it correspond to your last guide refresh time after the 48 hours have past?

i dont know because i recently deleted it again after setting it to 100 hours this time so that i can have guide data for a few days so that my family can watch while we are at my dads for christmas.

Mookdog

If anyone has time can someone possibly put together a quick guide on how to get VirtualTV to work with apps like tivimate. Would like to set it up for my mom

Thanks

Mook

eeeeeesy
On 12/25/2021 at 10:18 AM, pünktchen said:

after i set the guide to 100 hours, its been 4 days and the guide is losing guide data today but the virtual tv guide refresh is still dated for 4 days agoimage.png.a104e0e647e399ddb8ac3dc95b0c3a4e.png

pünktchen
2 hours ago, eeeeeesy said:

after i set the guide to 100 hours, its been 4 days and the guide is losing guide data today but the virtual tv guide refresh is still dated for 4 days agoimage.png.a104e0e647e399ddb8ac3dc95b0c3a4e.png

So the next guide refresh that is executed after 12/28/2021 6:16 PM should create new guide data and also a new timestamp for the file.

eeeeeesy
On 12/28/2021 at 3:16 PM, pünktchen said:

So the next guide refresh that is executed after 12/28/2021 6:16 PM should create new guide data and also a new timestamp for the file.

oh so i should have waited until 6:16pm. but i was running out of guide data in the epg at lunch time.

pünktchen

Probably because the days to download guide data setting didn't take affect, was still 3 days. Each time you change that setting, you have to restart Emby.

demhinds

Hey @pünktchen - thank you for all of your efforts on this. This plugin is very cool and having read through most of this thread; you clearly have the patience of a saint.

I played around with VTV a while back and decided to disable it and optimize all of my files and then come back to it. All of my channels now contain either only MP4/AAC with bitrate that maxes out at around 3/4 mbps (with the goal of quick and easy playback), or only HEVC/AAC programming and I have the playback method set to Continuous Playback Live (Roku person here, because I didn't do my research, apparently), MP4/AAC container, with a max 3 items in queue and a delay to live agent of 4 seconds.

Two questions: It seems as though I am still unable to get playlist method to work on the Roku devices, it sounds like this is an issue that won't persist for much longer, yes? At least for those users of the Emby beta app?

Additionally, I am having an odd issue, if you'd like to call it that. On both my MP4 and HEVC channels, they seem to want to transcode no matter what. The reason given on Emby is "audio channels not supported" - however the items that would be in queue are all 2-channel audio. That is not to say that every item that would ever be in queue is 2-channel, however the majority of it is. I don't really care about this, except that it takes my nice little 3mbps file and bloats it up to a 6+mbps file. I've tried both checking and unchecking "convert multi-channel to stereo" to no avail. Any ideas? I am sure I am just missing something.

Thank you again, man. This has been an awful lot of fun to put together and play around with.

pünktchen
3 hours ago, demhinds said:

It seems as though I am still unable to get playlist method to work on the Roku devices, it sounds like this is an issue that won't persist for much longer, yes? At least for those users of the Emby beta app?

Beside a small issue, the paylist method did already work in one of the Roku beta apps. Another app beta that should fix the issue, instead broke playback completely. I don't know the current situation. But maybe @crfloyd0932 or @kanipek can say a word.

3 hours ago, demhinds said:

On both my MP4 and HEVC channels, they seem to want to transcode no matter what.

I don't know if the Roku app allows direct playback of a mp4 live tv stream (Android does it, if you set the option and if you don't need timeshifting) or if the app always requests hls from the Emby server. If the latter, than the problem is the hevc codec. Emby server doesn't support hevc over hls, so it will be transcoded to h.264. The error reason "audio channels not supported" is just wrong. A ffmpeg transcoding log will show more.

• Thanks 1

crfloyd0932

As of last night it looked like the current released version seemed to be working properly, and the issue with the guide data that I had seen previously seemed to be fixed as well. I'll have to see what the release version I got updated to was. 

• Like 1

demhinds

What I did was keep the separate MP4 and HEVC channels, set the intermediary file to TS/X264 with a one second delay to the live engine and everything is working wonderfully. Now most items are direct streaming with very little increase in bit rate. Sometimes it kicks into a transcoded stream but even there the bit rates are staying nice and low. 

demhinds
10 hours ago, crfloyd0932 said:

As of last night it looked like the current released version seemed to be working properly, and the issue with the guide data that I had seen previously seemed to be fixed as well. I'll have to see what the release version I got updated to was. 

You're using playlist method successfully on Roku? I'll have to give it another shot, if so. I sorta don't want to mess with anything now that it's working so well, though haha. 

crfloyd0932
5 hours ago, demhinds said:

You're using playlist method successfully on Roku? I'll have to give it another shot, if so. I sorta don't want to mess with anything now that it's working so well, though haha. 

correct, Actually I've been using that since the beginning, the guide data was off by an hour, so when you would tune to a channel, it was the show that was supposed to be on before the one in the guide. 

• Like 1

pünktchen

but the guide data is only populated when i set Suspend creation of new program data for X hours to 0. your hack to set it to 48 hours and delete the tvguiderefresh text file then restart emby server and refresh the guide doesnt work for me

@eeeeeesy did the timestamp of the VirtualTVGuideRefresh file change after 48 hours or not?

hstamas

Needed to reinstall the plug-in and now I can’t choose which directories to use for my channels. See screenshot. Looks like a web page glitch but I’ve tried in both safari and chrome on a Mac and  apc.

4CEFFA99-96F9-455A-BDFD-213B93C78369.jpeg

pünktchen
45 minutes ago, eeeeeesy said:

no it did not

What's the OS where you have Emby installed?

pünktchen
2 minutes ago, hstamas said:

Needed to reinstall the plug-in and now I can’t choose which directories to use for my channels. See screenshot. Looks like a web page glitch but I’ve tried in both safari and chrome on a Mac and  apc.

Looks like an access problem. Check your api key.

hstamas
3 hours ago, pünktchen said:

Looks like an access problem. Check your api key.

That was it. I’m an idiot and copied the wrong key. Thanks!

hstamas

Having a playback issue.
I’m on a Sony Tv with built in AndroidTV and running Emby for AndroifTV. Luke had me install the regular Android app to troubleshoot some audio out issues I’m having. Now all of the sudden all my tv channels just show a black screen. Emby server reports direct playing (I use playlist mode) for a split second then switches over to transcoding with no progress advancement.

If I change to continuous playback I do get a picture but I much prefer playback mode.

literally nothing changed except for installing the regular Android app which I have since deleted.

ive gone so far as to remove VirtualTV and start from scratch but the problem remains. Black screen when using playback mode.

any thoughts?

pünktchen
1 hour ago, hstamas said:

Black screen when using playback mode.

For just one minute and then it stops completely?

hstamas
28 minutes ago, pünktchen said:

For just one minute and then it stops completely?

It’s black for as long as I let it sit there. It never really “stops’. Playback never starts but the Emby client thinks it playing as the progress bar advances but Emby server just says ‘transcoding” and shows no progress. It’s the weirdest thing. I have a memory of it happening to me once before way back when but I can’t remember what I did to fix it.

Why would playlist mode need to transcode all of the sudden anyway. None of my media has ever needed to transcode and before this glitch happened it never has. Playback has been instant.

Edited by hstamas

pünktchen

Yes, there were similar reports in the past when both Android apps are used on the same device. It's either a wrong session id that is reported in Emby or a problem with wrong/unclosed websockets. It doesn't happen on every device and i don't have a real solution, only suggestions. 

Log out from the Emby app you're not using. Make sure the "other" app isn't running in the background. Restart the Android device. Delete the device (app) you're not using from Emby's device list. Restart Emby server.

kanipek
On 1/5/2022 at 6:56 PM, pünktchen said:

can say a word.

Sorry for the late reply. I am out of town ATM. I will try and get one of my family to try this out. Last I knew on January 4th playlist method was working.