VirtualTV plugin

pünktchen

Svennie

THANK YOU :)

It works now. Taken in the first channel genre horror. Works without problems.
Second channel with the same settings but genre action but no EPG is generated here and the same film is always played, which is alphabetically the first in my collection.

pünktchen

Did you know that everytime you make changes to the channel content/rules you have to refresh the guide? Without any EPG there should be no playback at all, except maybe the 60 seconds black video intro.

Svennie

I do that with every change!

No black video is played, but the same film from the beginning.

I can PM you with logs if you want.

F1nchy

OK, so I found why my channel logos weren't working, they were in folders where the folder names/paths had spaces. Once I moved them into a folder within the emby-server folder and made sure there were no spaces they show fine, ie;

C:\Users\F1nchy\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\virtualTV-channel-logos

Before I had them in a OneDrive folder that was "VirtualTV and DizqueTV Channel logos" so it clearly didn't like the spaces.

Edited by F1nchy

pünktchen

Interesting. Of course that isn't intentional! I'll try to fix it in an update.

• Thanks 1

Just set up the plugin for the first time.  It was super simple (much easier than PseudoTV Live) and works great, thank you for creating this!

My only question is regarding TV show ordering.  I'm using MixedContent with the "Random Movies, Ordered interleaved Episodes" for my channels.  It pretty much does what I want, except after a guide refresh, every TV show starts from the beginning, starting from episode one.  Since the guide refresh gets triggered daily, this means that for most channels, they only play the same early episodes every day.

Is there a setting I can use to avoid this behavior? If not, I suggest altering the behavior of "Ordered Episodes" sorting to not reset every series back to episode one after every refresh. If it could keep track of where it was previously, that would be great, but even picking a random point in the series and starting there would help I think.

Thanks again!

PuffyToesToo
1 hour ago, 104084485 said:

My only question is regarding TV show ordering.  I'm using MixedContent with the "Random Movies, Ordered interleaved Episodes" for my channels.  It pretty much does what I want, except after a guide refresh, every TV show starts from the beginning, starting from episode one.  Since the guide refresh gets triggered daily, this means that for most channels, they only play the same early episodes every day.

Is there a setting I can use to avoid this behavior? If not, I suggest altering the behavior of "Ordered Episodes" sorting to not reset every series back to episode one after every refresh. If it could keep track of where it was previously, that would be great, but even picking a random point in the series and starting there would help I think.

Thanks again!

I have had some success by changing the refresh schedule for the channel to weekly, and making sure my DVR settings to download "X days" ( I chose 7) of guide data at one time.  I also set the number of items in playback option to match the average number of items it would take to fill those number of days. Maybe this will help you as well. 

pünktchen
15 minutes ago, PuffyToesToo said:

I also set the number of items in playback option to match the average number of items it would take to fill those number of days.

That doesn't make sense! The number of items to queue under playback options is only for Continous playback and only affects how long you can watch something in Continous Playback mode before the stream stops by itself. It has no affect on the guide data! That's why i told you to decrease your number. It will increase your start times, because i query the database for every video mediainfo before playback starts.

crusher11
On 6/28/2021 at 1:12 AM, crusher11 said:

Four of my channels have no program data available. Clicking on it nets me an infinite loading screen, which I guess is not wholly unexpected. 

I still haven't updated to the version that will wipe the logos though. 

This just happened again, although only two channels this time. Refreshing the guide data doesn't resolve it. 

Is there an easy way to back up my logos? 

Edited by crusher11

pünktchen
1 hour ago, crusher11 said:

Is there an easy way to back up my logos?

C'mon, are you really asking me how copy images in a file explorer? Copy them elsewhere, refresh the guide, move them back and refresh the guide again. That's all!

• Haha 1

crusher11

I meant "are they stored somewhere I can find them, or are they in randomly-named metadata folders?" 

pünktchen

You've pointed the plugin to your channel logo image files, so you're the only one who should know where they are. You have to make a backup of your original files!

Edited by pünktchen
  • Haha 1

crusher11

No?

When I point Emby's image editor at a file, it loads the image into one of its own folders somewhere. It doesn't just keep referring to the original location I pointed it to.

You can even point it to URLs of online images, and it will download them into its metadata.

I no longer have the original image files. I would need to extract them from Emby's metadata location. 

pünktchen

No you are just wrong! Emby has used the original file location in case it was a local file, that's why Emby has deleted your original images. I've clearly written: Make a backup! And that has to be done before making any other action of course.

crusher11

For anyone else who's curious, it's in metadata\livetv, but with randomly-generated folder names for each channel.

pünktchen
28 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

it's in metadata\livetv, but with randomly-generated folder names for each channel.

This is true for the current plugin version, image urls and maybe if one sets the channel images with the help of the metadata image editor. It is NOT true for previous plugin versions, provided you have used the plugin the intended way and set the local images in the plugin config. There the original image file paths of the plugin where stored in the database. That's why the very first guide refresh with the new plugin version will delete those original images!

So please stop to spread misinformation as you obviously don't know all the details.

VicMoore

Good morning Punktchen...

I have a question.  I was looking at the virtualTV.xml file and everything is in it. If I write a jQuery frontend that modifies that file will your code read the file and work OK?  I enjoy programming and thought it might be an interesting project.  I would of course share the code.

Vic

pünktchen

The xml is only read at Emby start or at the save action. I wouldn't recommend to directly edit that file. Instead you should use Emby's PluginService api endpoints. First you get the plugin id. With this id you get the current plugin config as a json object. You can than edit that json and post it back to update the config.

crusher11
43 minutes ago, pünktchen said:

This is true for the current plugin version, image urls and maybe if one sets the channel images with the help of the metadata image editor. It is NOT true for previous plugin versions, provided you have used the plugin the intended way and set the local images in the plugin config. There the original image file paths of the plugin where stored in the database. That's why the very first guide refresh with the new plugin version will delete those original images!

So please stop to spread misinformation as you obviously don't know all the details.

Why would I set logos in the plugin, instead of using Emby's built-in image editor? That makes no sense, especially given the plugin only allows one logo per channel and not the light/dark variations that Emby itself does.

VicMoore

Thanks for the info. I will use the plugin service API.  I have never used it before so it will be a learning experience. I love to learn.

Vic

crusher11

I've got a channel, "NBL Rewind" (channel 2) set to play episodes from the show "NBL" starting in season 1979 and going through to season 2006.

It's currently showing an episode from the show "Other Basketball", after which is scheduled two episodes of "NBA", then an episode of "AFL". The first episode of "NBL" isn't for over 12 hours, and is from season 2013.

I also have "Wrestling Network" (channel 7), set to play random movies from my wrestling folders. The channel has no content.

embyserver.txt

Edited by crusher11

pünktchen

I need screenshots of the channel rules and logs with debug logging enabled as a starting point.