VirtualTV plugin

pünktchen

Sammy

So I finally got the chance to install and check this out. I followed the instructions in the first post but when I refresh my guide it sits on 0% and doesn't look to be updating.

NM.. Looks to have created the channel in the guide. I'll play with this and see if my wife finds it / them!

Nice work.

Edited by Sammy

Sammy

Just wondering why it's transcoding for Content that plays directstream otherwise.

NM again..

It is right here:

Single Playback Mode:

Select the option that works best for you in "Non Continous Playback" mode


If "Continous Playback" is active, every item in the program queue will be concatenated into one big video file
To achieve this every video input file has to share some common features: same video and audio codec, same framerate. 
With the following settings you can control if a input video has to be transcoded to gain the common features.

I had to set it to Direct Stream as I'm not using it on the beta server but stable. Is this to mean that it will Direct Play on the next server release? I suppose I'll try it out on my beta server too.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Edited by Sammy

Spaceboy

Just wondering why it's transcoding for Content that plays directstream otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

if there’s one show in the entire list of shows you have added to the channel that will not direct play, none of it will direct play. The files are concatenated and the least quality is applied to everything. It’s the only way he can guarantee sequential play
  • Like 1

pünktchen

I had to set it to Direct Stream as I'm not using it on the beta server but stable. Is this to mean that it will Direct Play on the next server release? I suppose I'll try it out on my beta server too.

The EmbyDirectPlay (Beta) option will indeed direct play the videos, even in the current stable server. But it is far far away from usable. It only works in a browser and the video starts from the beginning instead of the current time. It is only for testing, to get some feedback for Luke.
  • Like 1

Sammy

The EmbyDirectPlay (Beta) option will indeed direct play the videos, even in the current stable server. But it is far far away from usable. It only works in a browser and the video starts from the beginning instead of the current time. It is only for testing, to get some feedback for Luke.

I'm in.. I'll give it a try on my beta server even though it works somewhat on the stable server.

pünktchen

if there’s one show in the entire list of shows you have added to the channel that will not direct play, none of it will direct play. The files are concatenated and the least quality is applied to everything. It’s the only way he can guarantee sequential play

I have to correct you here. Only the videos that do not fullfill the requirements get transcodes. So in the best case, every video will be direct streamed.
  • Like 1

pünktchen

Any chance of being able to insert commercials/bumpers between shows and movies?

Why should somebody want commercials? I'll have to think about it.
  • Like 1

imatroublemaker

Why should somebody want commercials? I'll have to think about it.

It adds to the experience of watching your curated "live" tv. I personally have an archive of thousands of toy/food/game ads from the 90s. But, even beyond commercials, I also think it would be useful for channel bumpers. 

Emby has a "cinematic intros" function that can queue videos from a folder to play prior to content from your library. That might be a place to look for functionality. 

Also, side note. How many TVShows per channel? I feel like i tagged about 20 shows, but am only seeing episodes from about 8 of them. 

Edited by imatroublemaker
  • Like 1

imatroublemaker

There's no limit for shows per channel.

Very odd. Something about the algorithm is selecting the same shows then. I was using Tags to make the channels, would I have better luck basing it on other classifiers? 

imatroublemaker

Is Tags the only active condition?

Yeah, I am basically using the tags to make channels with a specific selection of shows since we can't use playlists. I come from PseudoTV, so I am trying to adapt all that content. 

I make a tag for channel 1 which is "LOL" and then tag those shows with it. Is there a better way to achieve this? 

I mean honestly, I just tried to make channels using specifically shows that weren't showing up...and they don't show up in a playlist by themselves. They all work fine in Emby and I don't have Continuous Playback turned on. 

Edited by imatroublemaker

imatroublemaker

Do the episodes of the missing shows have a runtime?

That was one of my first thoughts too, but no they have normal runtimes on the show and episode level. They are just normal sitcoms like the other shows on the channel. I've had this issue with some other shows as well, so it must be something I'm overlooking or just a bug. 

Thanks by the way for trying to help me with all this, the plugin is really cool and I know its pretty hard to maintain. 

imatroublemaker

Probably a bug. I'll prepare a build with excessive logging and pm you tomorrow.

Gotcha. Ill clear my config so we can start fresh. 

Spaceboy

with the latest beta all virtual tv channels are just green for me. audio works fine but just green video. on Android TV and web client

pünktchen

with the latest beta all virtual tv channels are just green for me. audio works fine but just green video. on Android TV and web client

Only did some quick tests with the beta server, but all is fine here. With Single and Continous Playback mode.

Spaceboy

Only did some quick tests with the beta server, but all is fine here. With Single and Continous Playback mode.

apologies, after a restart everything is normal agsin

imatroublemaker

I got mine running and its been awesome. One suggestion I might make is to add the ability to select a "starting season" for ordered group channels. The main reason being when you remove a channel and bring it back, it starts back at the first seasons. It would be nice to be able to make them all start in their 2nd season if available or even a randomized STARTING point and then it goes in order from there. 

jachin99

Any chance at adding support for .strm files?  In my case they can't be opened with emby directly but I'm wondering if they will work via the export function in Kodi.  This way I can put netflix shows, etc. into my guide.  Thanks.  

pünktchen

Any chance at adding support for .strm files? In my case they can't be opened with emby directly but I'm wondering if they will work via the export function in Kodi. This way I can put netflix shows, etc. into my guide. Thanks.

Kodi plugin paths won't work, because i have to open the videos with Emby's ffmpeg.