VirtualTV plugin

pünktchen

Dibbes

generally channels 1-100 are general, 100-200 are movies, 200-300 are sport, 300-400 are news etc. selecting the group for sport would immediately jump you to channel 200 in the guide.

This will work if you only have channels from one country and the IPTV provider groups this properly, but if you use streams from multiple countries or multiple sources, the order in which channels are presented, is a mess and (AFAIK) not configurable unless you manually modify the M3U's

Edited by Dibbes

Spaceboy

Agreed but then you are asking for channel management as well as channel grouping and that is adding significant time to the length of development. I think most people using iptv are also using xteve and have therefore configured their m3us as I suggest. For now I think emby should just utilise channel grouping already available rather than trying to configure it.

Dibbes

Agreed but then you are asking for channel management as well as channel grouping

You're going to have to explain that to me... I think I don't understand the difference then...

I'm not asking for a way to modify the M3U files from within Emby... just the ability to create collections based on channels, and, as a much extended feature, a guide per collection... 

Spaceboy

You're going to have to explain that to me... I think I don't understand the difference then...

I'm not asking for a way to modify the M3U files from within Emby... just the ability to create collections based on channels, and, as a much extended feature, a guide per collection... 

channel grouping is purely about how the channels are displayed in the guide using existing channel data.

channel management is about how channel line ups are edited within emby

Dibbes

channel grouping is purely about how the channels are displayed in the guide using existing channel data.

channel management is about how channel line ups are edited within emby

but then, how am I asking for management?

I mean, if you create a collection and derive a guide from the collection, you can basically do this from the main guide and just hiding the channels that are not a member of that collection... TBH in this scenario I don't even see the need for channel numbers besides sorting order...

Spaceboy

but then, how am I asking for management?

I mean, if you create a collection and derive a guide from the collection, you can basically do this from the main guide and just hiding the channels that are not a member of that collection... TBH in this scenario I don't even see the need for channel numbers besides sorting order...

you said:

"The basic version similar to the way the Tune-in plugin with works, but then configurable, so being able to add channels to that group"

Dibbes

you said:

"The basic version similar to the way the Tune-in plugin with works, but then configurable, so being able to add channels to that group"

Yes, I see now what you mean... I guess I should have phrased that differently:

"The basic implementation in a tab which would be similar to the way the Tune-in plugin displays radio stations, but then configurable, so being able to add channels to the groups/collections"

Spaceboy

Yes, I see now what you mean... I guess I should have phrased that differently:

"The basic implementation in a tab which would be similar to the way the Tune-in plugin displays radio stations, but then configurable, so being able to add channels to the groups/collections"

we should probably be doing this in the right thread :) https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/39637-live-tv-channel-groups/

i see, you are initially thinking about this in a collections display method, i certainly prefer the filtered or jump to guide approach

• Like 1

Dibbes

we should probably be doing this in the right thread :) https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/39637-live-tv-channel-groups/

i see, you are initially thinking about this in a collections display method, i certainly prefer the filtered or jump to guide approach

@@softworkz so then, what's your take on this?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
pünktchen

No. Channel conditions and layout changes to the config screen are on hold now. I'm waiting for some very important things with the smartplaylist plugin and then i will drop my own channel rules and give you just a dropdown list to select a playlist. This will make it much easier for me to start working on unlimited channels.

Spaceboy

Is there a possibility to include the tv show episode title in the osd when in play?

pünktchen

Is there a possibility to include the tv show episode title in the osd when in play?

Isn't there a episode title for you if you look at the program details screen? If so, then you're asking in the wrong thread. I have no influence on the osd design.

Spaceboy

Isn't there a episode title for you if you look at the program details screen? If so, then you're asking in the wrong thread. I have no influence on the osd design.

there is. i can see it in the guide before i start playback and also by navigating to the details screen marked by the i indicator on the OSD. but if i were watching the same episode from the series out of virtual tv i would get shown the series and episode name on the OSD without having to open the detail screen. For some reason the year of the show is shown on the OSD and that isnt normally shown for a tv program, so i thought perhaps you had some control over this. Perhaps my question is, for tv series, is it possible to show the episode name as "Series - Episode"? whereas now it just seems to be "Series".

one thing thats more important, on some channels i see reasonably regular picture breakup. its difficult to describe it, it only flashes up for a fraction of a second but its not there in the playback if i watch the same episode outside of virtual tv

hstamas

No. Channel conditions and layout changes to the config screen are on hold now. I'm waiting for some very important things with the smartplaylist plugin and then i will drop my own channel rules and give you just a dropdown list to select a playlist. This will make it much easier for me to start working on unlimited channels.

Will your incorporation of the smart playlist plugin fundamentally change how the virtual tv plugin plays back media? After playing with things for weeks I eventually had to give up on the idea of this plugin because of all the ffmpeg issues I was having. 

pünktchen

...For some reason the year of the show is shown on the OSD and that isnt normal...

Either your guide data has no production year or Emby's inbuild live tv doesn't import it.

...Perhaps my question is, for tv series, is it possible to show the episode name as "Series - Episode"?...

No, i wont do such stupid things because it will look ugly in the guide and in screens where the epidode title is already present. Your problem is specific to the AndroidTV app. If you look at the web app, there's a simple and clean osd that holds all the informations. But hey, in the AndroidTV osd you get two times the channel number [emoji6] It's all about consistency. You really should report it to ebr.

...one thing thats more important, on some channels i see reasonably regular picture breakup. its difficult to describe it, it only flashes up for a fraction of a second but its not there in the playback if i watch the same episode outside of virtual tv

There could be many reasons for it and i don't know how to debug or solve it. It could be Exoplayer, it could be timestamp errors in case of continous playback because i don't concat the videos so strict that it normally has to be done. I really don't know. Sorry! Edited by pünktchen
  • Like 1

pünktchen

Will your incorporation of the smart playlist plugin fundamentally change how the virtual tv plugin plays back media? After playing with things for weeks I eventually had to give up on the idea of this plugin because of all the ffmpeg issues I was having.

It won't change the playback. This is up to Luke.

Spaceboy

Either your guide data has no production year or Emby's inbuild live tv doesn't import it.

i'm going to go with the 2nd. its a fairly unimportant bt of information so i'm not too bothered about that...

No, i wont do such stupid things because it will look ugly in the guide and in screens where the epidode title is already present. Your problem is specific to the AndroidTV app. If you look at the web app, there's a simple and clean osd that holds all the informations. But hey, in the AndroidTV osd you get two times the channel number [emoji6] It's all about consistency. You really should report it to ebr.

@@ebr, punktchen has identified an inconsistency in the android tv OSD as compared to the web app. please could you fix it?

There could be many reasons for it and i don't know how to debug or solve it. It could be Exoplayer, it could be timestamp errors in case of continous playback because i don't concat the videos so strict that it normally has to be done. I really don't know. Sorry!

ok, i guess its not going to help at all to let you know that i see it regularly in hd content but not at all in sd content?

Dibbes

I actually think that is a great idea, to combine the two plugins or extend the function of one with the other... Looking forward to trying it  :)

Spaceboy

All of a sudden having an issue whereby despite a user having access to a library, when selecting the user through the virtual tv plugin no folders are shown for that media type. hopefully this is fairly self explanatory but i can provide screenshots if necessary. this is sending me round the bend as everything was working fine until i tried to add a 5th channel yesterday and now nothing works.

some other users that have access to the same libraries and folders can be used to select the folders through the plugin. tried removing everything, clearing cache, restarting editing the xml directly. nothing seems to work

pünktchen

Is this a new user? Sometimes it helps to change the users library access settings, save it and then change it back to the previous state. Otherwise please pm me the server log where you selected that user in the plugin and of course the name of the user.

• Like 1

Spaceboy

Is this a new user? Sometimes it helps to change the users library access settings, save it and then change it back to the previous state. Otherwise please pm me the server log where you selected that user in the plugin and of course the name of the user.

no, its the same user i've always been using. server log on its way. please save me from tears of frustration :)

• 1 month later...
wmilun

Hello. I am very interested in using VirtualTV plugin for my Emby server running in a jail on my FreeNAS server. I am able to configure a channel for Single Playback, to the points where it shows up on the guide with a schedule, but when I attempt to play the "channel" it sits there loading infinitely (As shown in screenshot). I have attached the error in the emby log.

2020-04-13 22:51:42.423 Info LiveTvManager: Opening channel stream from VirtualTV, external channel Id: VirtualTV0
2020-04-13 22:51:42.424 Error HttpServer: Error processing request
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.3.1.0
	Command line: /usr/local/lib/emby-server/system/EmbyServer.exe -os freebsd -ffmpeg /usr/local/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /usr/local/bin/ffprobe -programdata /var/db/emby-server -updatepackage emby-server-freebsd_{version}_amd64.txz -noautorunwebapp
	Operating system: Unix 11.3.7.0
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	User Interactive: False
	Mono: 5.10.1.57 (5.10.1.57 Thu Apr  9 02:10:25 UTC 2020)
	Runtime: file:///usr/local/lib/mono/4.5/mscorlib.dll
	Processor count: 4
	Program data path: /var/db/emby-server
	Application directory: /usr/local/lib/emby-server/system
	System.MissingMethodException: System.MissingMethodException: void System.Net.ServicePointManager.CloseConnectionGroups(string)
	  at System.Net.Http.HttpMessageHandler.Dispose () [0x00000] in <27bbdd4ceaf04a95b172ee502d76a725>:0 
	  at System.Net.Http.HttpMessageInvoker.Dispose (System.Boolean disposing) [0x0001e] in <27bbdd4ceaf04a95b172ee502d76a725>:0 
	  at System.Net.Http.HttpClient.Dispose (System.Boolean disposing) [0x0002c] in <27bbdd4ceaf04a95b172ee502d76a725>:0 
	  at System.Net.Http.HttpMessageInvoker.Dispose () [0x00000] in <27bbdd4ceaf04a95b172ee502d76a725>:0 
	  at VirtualTV.Services.StreamingService+<RequestPlaybackInfo>d__20.MoveNext () [0x00271] in <8db711ee08a24d649ee7e80e93d46ca9>:0 
	Source: System.Net.Http
	TargetSite: Void Dispose()

Config: post-464397-0-45308800-1586833713_thumb.png

Stuck Loading: post-464397-0-25019000-1586833855_thumb.png

pünktchen

@@wmilun obviously the mono framework is missing a basic method that is called by a function i'm using. I'm working on it.

• Like 1