VirtualTV plugin

pünktchen

Dibbes

Some issues I've noticed (this is the first time I'm actually using the browser for this, so I don't know if this is known already)

• In Edge beta, the menu bar at the bottom does not show
  • under Chrome it take a very long time to start playing, we talking 30 seconds upwards
  • under Chrome, when selecting a subtitle (.srt's do not show up, by the way) playback stops and most of the time does not start again. I waited for 5min, just a black screen or immediately get incompatible screen
  • A lot of .mkv's just stop playing after 11 or 12 seconds and do not continue anymore. Stats for Nerds and the dashboard all give those as direct stream. These play fine when using FFMpegDirectstream with the standard settings. The dashboard shows the video is playing though and the ffmpeg process is running
  • Where I had 4 streams earlier, now a second stream gives me hiccups and a third doesn't even start even though these videos play when it's just one stream

I'm sorry, but all in all not a very successful test... I have not been able to watch one movie with this...

I have to say though that it works better on the Shield than in the webpage...

Edited by Dibbes
  • Like 1

CBers

Some issues I've noticed (this is the first time I'm actually using the browser for this, so I don't know if this is known already)

@@Dibbes Was that in a browser on your LAN or remote?

Dibbes

With all the playback problems are you talking about the EmbyDirectPlay mode here?

Yes, sir... You asked to test EmbyDirectPlay, so that's what I did... If you'd like, I can give you access through RDP so you can test yourself

@@Dibbes Was that in a browser on your LAN or remote?

LAN. The laptop was sitting on its dock, which is cabled into the same gigabit switch as the server

CBers

LAN. The laptop was sitting on its dock, which is cabled into the same gigabit switch as the server

I am getting Direct Play remotely, with it starting almost immediately.

5e2811e23b364_Emby5.jpg

The same as if I started the same item via normal playback.

Dibbes

I need to upgrade my hardware one of these days... not sure if the wife gives permission though  ;) 

Either way, I rebooted the whole environment this morning, but no difference... The IE version that comes with Server 2016 is a disaster (to be expected), Edge just misses a bunch of things and Chrome is slow...

• Like 1

Dibbes

@@pünktchen just a question: is it very difficult to take the Channel on the config page (Now Channel 1, Channel 2, etc.) from the Channel Name in the specific channel?

I'd like something like this quick mock-up I suppose:

5e2b6e28991a6_channels.png

Now, with just 20 channels, it's fairly simple to remember which is which, later, if the amount of channels grows, it may be a lot more difficult to find a specific one...

Edited by Dibbes
  • Like 1

pünktchen

Later of course. When all other things are finished i'd like to re-design the config page. I have to do this, when we want unlimited channels. But that means i have to write nearly the whole page in javascript not just pure html and i do not know anything about javascript. So this can take a very long time...

• Like 1

Dibbes

Later of course. When all other things are finished i'd like to re-design the config page. I have to do this, when we want unlimited channels. But that means i have to write nearly the whole page in javascript not just pure html and i do not know anything about javascript. So this can take a very long time...

No stress. Since I don't know anything about that at all, I was just wondering if it was at all possible...

Dibbes

• In Edge beta, the menu bar at the bottom does not show
  • under Chrome it take a very long time to start playing, we talking 30 seconds upwards
  • under Chrome, when selecting a subtitle (.srt's do not show up, by the way) playback stops and most of the time does not start again. I waited for 5min, just a black screen or immediately get incompatible screen
  • A lot of .mkv's just stop playing after 11 or 12 seconds and do not continue anymore. Stats for Nerds and the dashboard all give those as direct stream. These play fine when using FFMpegDirectstream with the standard settings. The dashboard shows the video is playing though and the ffmpeg process is running
  • Where I had 4 streams earlier, now a second stream gives me hiccups and a third doesn't even start even though these videos play when it's just one stream

I'm sorry, but all in all not a very successful test... I have not been able to watch one movie with this...

I have to say though that it works better on the Shield than in the webpage...

With the new server beta, 4.4.0.9, I thought I'd give it another shot:

• Chrome: With a few movies when subtitles are on (only subrips, .srts are not showing) playback stops after 12 or 14 seconds. No matter if transcoding or direct playing. When subtitles are off, it plays correctly.
  • Chrome: Turning subtitle off or on stops playback in about 75% of the cases and playback will not resume. Stopping the video, starting it and trying again, with the same video on the same client, it happens that playback just continues without hiccups or stops again. I have not been able to discern a pattern there.
  • Chrome: Still takes a long time to start. Less than previously, we are still talking about 15sec upwards.
  • Chrome: Clicking Pause, FF, REW or anywhere on the time-line, will halt playing and it will not restart.
  • I made to 3 streams with VTV and two normal plays before the next live stream started to give performance problems
  • MS Edge Dev: No changes

Conclusion: If no subtitles are selected, the video plays properly most of the time. 

Edited by Dibbes

pünktchen

Thanks for all your testing @@Dibbes.

When you say "direct playing" are you sure about this, i mean is the source a mp4 with h264 and acc and nothing is generated in your transcoding folder?

Also it's very strange but interesting that we get completely different results. For me playback starts instantly and i can pause and skip without problems. I couldn't test subtitles yet.

Dibbes

I cannot swear there's nothing in the transcode folder, as the server is rather busy today (bad weather, I guess). but this is what I'm seeing:

5e2db862ec5bf_stopped11sec.jpg

5e2db878564fe_stopswithsub.jpg

and here the config:

<SinglePlayback>EmbyDirectPlay</SinglePlayback>
  <VideoContainer>mkv</VideoContainer>
  <VideoCodec>h264</VideoCodec>
  <VideoResolution>Full HD</VideoResolution>
  <VideoFramerate>24</VideoFramerate>
  <VideoBitrate>100</VideoBitrate>
  <AudioCodec>ac3</AudioCodec>
  <ContinousPlaybackItemLimit>10</ContinousPlaybackItemLimit>
  <FFmpegDelay>2000</FFmpegDelay>
  <FFmpegProbeSize>100</FFmpegProbeSize>
  <FFmpegAnalyzeDuration>100</FFmpegAnalyzeDuration>
  <FFmpegReadAtNativeFramerate>false</FFmpegReadAtNativeFramerate>

Dibbes

Thanks for all your testing @@Dibbes.

I really like this plugin and would like to see it succeed... I think it has a lot of potential and is quite possibly the most interesting addition to Emby since changing to Server/Client in from MB2 to MB3

Edited by Dibbes
  • Like 1

pünktchen

From your pictures i see the audio gets transcoded...

Btw. the seek problem you are experiencing seems to be a Chrome problem, because i also get this with Chrome but not with Firefox.

Edit: Could you try Firefox for your subtitles?

Edited by pünktchen

Dibbes

Downloaded the latest version of Firefox, it's the same thing. Stops after 12sec:

5e2dd721dfac7_mozilla1.png

Never seen the Picture in Picture thing... is that a Firefox thing?

Also, the Fast Forward has exactly the same issues, the videos start faster though

pünktchen

Mmh, i cannot explain why it's so different for you.

You've said there's a lot of transcoding going on on your machine. Maybe there's some bottleneck like CPU or HDD.

Dibbes

Mmh, i cannot explain why it's so different for you.

You've said there's a lot of transcoding going on on your machine. Maybe there's some bottleneck like CPU or HDD.

This is current with 1 transcode, 2 direct play and a Live stream from your plugin. The D-Drive is a OCZ4 SSD which is only used as transcode drive for Emby. The Emby install is on the C-Drive with the OS. Most (not all) of the media is on Synology boxes.

5e2de8456272b_serverload.png

Edited by Dibbes

pünktchen

The CPU seems to sleep [emoji6]

Is your default setting with subtitles enabled? If so please set it to never. Try to play something in Firefox, count the seconds until playback starts, wait a minute or two and then seek back by 30 seconds.

Dibbes

@@pünktchen Here you go:

Subtitles are now disabled completely 

FireFox: the below movies started at 7sec, 8sec and 11sec respectively. Also the search worked after a few minutes...

5e2e64444ffdf_moviess.png

Chrome: The movies started at 9sec, 11sec and 11sec respectively. Search does not work with either of the Direct Play movies. The movie freezes and does not come back. On the transcoded movie FF and REW work fine.

Edge Dev: where earlier I didn't have a bar at the bottom, I now do. (Don't have the faintest why). The Movies started at 7sec, 10sec and 6sec. For some reason FF and REW did not work for the first movie, it freezes, but it did work for the 2nd and the last.

So it really seems that subtitles are an issue here... I also noticed that changing audio-tracks is not possible...

Edited by Dibbes

pünktchen

FireFox: the below movies started at 7sec, 8sec and 11sec respectively.

Chrome: The movies started at 9sec, 11sec and 11sec respectively.

Edge Dev: where earlier I didn't have a bar at the bottom, I now do. (Don't have the faintest why). The Movies started at 7sec, 10sec and 6sec.

Still way too slow for my feeling. Does it also take that long if you play from the library?

pünktchen

Would you share the embyserver.log with me?

Edit. I don't need all. Just extract the lines from playback start to stop.

Edited by pünktchen

CBers

@@pünktchen Here you go:

Chrome: The movies started at 9sec, 11sec and 11sec respectively. Search does not work with either of the Direct Play movies. The movie freezes and does not come back. On the transcoded movie FF and REW work fine.

FWIW, in Chrome, using both the VirtualTV and straight from my TV library, playing remotely, the same episode starts in around 10s.

I always get a pause of 1-2 seconds immediately after playback starts via VirtualTV, but not when it is Live TV.

pünktchen

FWIW, in Chrome, using both the VirtualTV and straight from my TV library, playing remotely, the same episode starts in around 10s.

I always get a pause of 1-2 seconds immediately after playback starts via VirtualTV, but not when it is Live TV.

I think 10 seconds is okay for a remote stream. More important is you get the same timeframes!