VirtualTV plugin

pünktchen

pünktchen

Did some testing and i can assure you subtitles are working in general with FFmpegDirectStream.

Tried Browser, Android Mobile, Emby Theater and Kodi. All working. The only app where it didn't worked was - you can guess - Android TV! I've set it to always show subtitles but this was just ignored. After activating via OSD the stream stoped with an error. Man, i really begin to hate this app. It has the most potential but makes the most problems. And this was always the case with live tv as long as i remember...

• Like 2

pünktchen

1. Select/unselect individual folders within a library via check-box.

The first level folders (not libraries) should be presented the same way as you'll find under your Emby user access settings.

For further subfolders definitally a no.

2. Add a "Condition" for runtime. I.e., <30 minutes, >31 minutes, >60 minutes, etc.

Maybe. I put it on my list.
  • Like 1

Scott D

The first level folders (not libraries) should be presented the same way as you'll find under your Emby user access settings.

For further subfolders definitally a no.

Maybe. I put it on my list.

No, no and hell no!  This makes me laugh.  At least you know what direction you want to take things, and what would just be a pain in the backside to accomplish.

Keep up the great work.  Everything you have done is greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

Dibbes

Did some testing and i can assure you subtitles are working in general with FFmpegDirectStream.

Tried Browser, Android Mobile, Emby Theater and Kodi. All working. The only app where it didn't worked was - you can guess - Android TV! I've set it to always show subtitles but this was just ignored. After activating via OSD the stream stoped with an error. Man, i really begin to hate this app. It has the most potential but makes the most problems. And this was always the case with live tv as long as i remember...

I'm new to Android TV, coming from Apple TV, and am still getting the feeling for it. I switched because of the Emby app, mainly... in comparison Android TV is light-years ahead, including Live-TV... I tried your plugin on the Apple TV and switched the box off immediately again...  :)

By the way, have you given any thought to Music-videos and maybe plain Music as well? Although plain music could/should be a separate plugin, maybe... Using Emby as your own personal radio-Station would be brilliant!!! I'd almost get rid of AirSonic for it... 

Edited by Dibbes

Jdiesel

I'm new to Android TV, coming from Apple TV, and am still getting the feeling for it. I switched because of the Emby app, mainly... in comparison Android TV is light-years ahead, including Live-TV... I tried your plugin on the Apple TV and switched the box off immediately again...  :)

By the way, have you given any thought to Music-videos and maybe plain Music as well? Although plain music could/should be a separate plugin, maybe... Using Emby as your own personal radio-Station would be brilliant!!! I'd almost get rid of AirSonic for it... 

I'm not sure how well either would fit into the existing guide as they are so short in length. Music and music videos would be excellent when used with something like a smart playlist where you pick a few parameters, much like the VirtualTV plugin, and have Emby generate a random and dynamic playlist. I have been dying for smart playlist or smart views for years now.

• Like 1

Dibbes

I'm not sure how well either would fit into the existing guide as they are so short in length. Music and music videos would be excellent when used with something like a smart playlist where you pick a few parameters, much like the VirtualTV plugin, and have Emby generate a random and dynamic playlist. I have been dying for smart playlist or smart views for years now.

Not sure how the guide is generated, nor do I know if customization in granularity is possible... not even sure if you should use a guide for it (or the live-tv protocol), or just display it as a playlist, like a music album is displayed now... Either way, this plugin seems to be doing exactly that, auto-generating dynamic play-lists...

Edited by Dibbes

pünktchen

@@Dibbes

For music videos - didn't i say no new features for 4 weeks [emoji6]

For playlists - when i've fond out how to dynamically create the number of channels in the plugin config page until the mid of the year and Emby hasn't come up with it's own smart playlists until then, then i will fork the VirtualTV plugin to a SmartPlaylist plugin.

• Like 2

Dibbes

@@Dibbes

For music videos - didn't i say no new features for 4 weeks [emoji6]

For playlists - when i've fond out how to dynamically create the number of channels in the plugin config page until the mid of the year and Emby hasn't come up with it's own smart playlists until then, then i will fork the VirtualTV plugin to a SmartPlaylist plugin.

It's just that January already seems like it's been going on for 4 months... lol

Jeez!! With the Holidays, a failed Emby Server to rebuild along with a failure of my Router causing me to have to completely re-do my network settings on top of my generally busy schedule I still haven't even got to play with this plugin.. Or @@chef 's either.

CBers

@@pünktchen

I have set up a couple of VirtualTV channels, one each for a specific show.

I tried choosing choosing the show folder from the options, but I could only choose library.

So I added TAGS to the shows I want to create a channel for and then added that TAG to the VirtualTV channel in the plugin.

This works fine and creates the channels as required.

Are the episodes chosen in a random order, or consecutive ?

Could there be an option to choose ?

Thanks.

Dibbes

I did the same thing, just playing around... it seems the order is random and changes every time you manually refresh the guide...

Isn't this that @@Luke and @@ebr want to implement with smart playlists, up to the point you can select various shows and maybe some movies and play these in the order those aired? I'd love this option though!

CBers

@@pünktchen Any chance you could include the channel number (CH1002) into the name of the log files.

So it would be something like:

ffpmeg-VirtualTV2_CH1002_20200117084011.txt

Might be useful for diagnostic purposes.

Also, rather than transcoding multiple files together, could you leverage the "Play Next" functionality, so at the end of an item, the next one is played if no user interaction occurs ?

Just a couple of thoughts.

pünktchen

"Watched Only" and "Unwatched & Watched" generates totally random episodes. "Unwatched Only" generates random series with 1 up to 3 consecutive episodes. Sort options are on my to-do list.

Any chance you could include the channel number (CH1002) into the name of the log files.

I could, but i don't like to. It's easier for me to just use the channel index VirtualTV0, VirtualTV1 ...

Also, rather than transcoding multiple files together, could you leverage the "Play Next" functionality, so at the end of an item, the next one is played if no user interaction occurs ?

Not possible with the live tv engine. There's no "Play Next"! For Emby a live stream is an infinite stream.

CBers

"Watched Only" and "Unwatched & Watched" generates totally random episodes. "Unwatched Only" generates random series with 1 up to 3 consecutive episodes. Sort options are on my to-do list.

OK, thanks.

I could, but i don't like to. It's easier for me to just use the channel index VirtualTV0, VirtualTV1 ...

I didn't even realise that - sorry for being so dumb :)

Not possible with the live tv engine. There's no "Play Next"! For Emby a live stream is an infinite stream.

There's no better way of doing this, rather than concatenating the number of items into 1 big transcoded file?

Having continuous playback disabled I get Direct Streaming, but with it enabled, I get a transcoded stream.

Thanks for your replies.

pünktchen

There's no better way of doing this, rather than concatenating the number of items into 1 big transcoded file?

Having continuous playback disabled I get Direct Streaming, but with it enabled, I get a transcoded stream.

Unfortunately that's all i can do now.

I use continuous playback only for tv shows. In my case 90 percent have h264, 24fps and ac3, so it's very rare that something has to be transcoded.

• Like 1

CBers

I use continuous playback only for tv shows. In my case 90 percent have h264, 24fps and ac3, so it's very rare that something has to be transcoded.

OK, I'll have a play with the options.

With the "Max. Video Resolution:" option, What is the difference between HD and Full HD? 720 and 1080 ?

Small spelling mistake in the plugin - missing an "e" in queue:

"If "Continous Playback" is active, every item in the program queu will be concatenated into one big video file"

pünktchen

Correct, HD is only 720.

If you'd like to you, please also check the general wording. English is not my native language.

CBers

If you'd like to you, please also check the general wording. English is not my native language.

I had a quick look at all of the text within the plugin and it all looks fine to me, apart from that missing "e".

• Like 1

CBers

pünktchen - I have been playing with the "Continuous Playback" option, but when the first item finishes, the next item doesn't start.

I have been testing this in the Web Client.

In the channel I created within the TV guide, you can see the next item is "airing", but my Web Client session is stuck at the end of the previous item.

Web Client:

5e219d6d7ae28_Emby1.jpg

TV Guide:

5e219d9d8a986_Emby3.jpg

On Now:

5e219db5f11f9_Emby2.jpg

Dashboard:

5e219ddf36799_Emby4.jpg

What file(s) would you need to try and diagnose this please?

pünktchen

All  :lol:  Emby log and ffmpeg logs from Emby and my plugin.

Please pm me the logs and do not attach it here.

• Like 1

CBers

All  :lol:  Emby log and ffmpeg logs from Emby and my plugin.

Please pm me the logs and do not attach it here.

OK, let me sort them out and I'll PM you.

Might be a little while though.

pünktchen

New version 0.6.6 in the starting post:

Fixed a bug for TVShows that could lead to an infinite guide refresh.

Added some hidden settings for "FFmpegDirectStream" mode. They are only exposed to the VirtualTV.xml config file after hitting save in the web config screen.

Changes to the xml need a restart of Emby.

• Like 1

Dibbes

New version 0.6.6 in the starting post:

Fixed a bug for TVShows that could lead to an infinite guide refresh.

Added some hidden settings for "FFmpegDirectStream" mode. They are only exposed to the VirtualTV.xml config file after hitting save in the web config screen.

Changes to the xml need a restart of Emby.

Not sure why, but I lost the whole config when updating to this version... and can't even do the config anymore... I wonder what I did to break this

EDIT: Funnily enough it still works... the .xml is still there so it still loads the channels in the clients and also when running the Refresh Guide, it completes successfully and logs everything properly in the server log. Just no possibility to make any changes on the config page

Edited by Dibbes