VirtualTV plugin

pünktchen

CBers

You are asking questions. How should i know? I don't have all platform devices. I do not even use any of the official apps for watching live tv. I can say it has to be on for the Android Mobile app. For Android TV it depends somehow on the app setting "Direct stream live tv" if you get sound or not.

OK, thanks.

jachin99

"If you like my plugin but want a better playback experience, just ping @Luke and as for ReadAtNativeFramerate, CopyAllCodecs and Auto RestartLiveTV"

Ping @@Luke for the three improvements listed above

shorty1483

@@pünktchen @@jachin99 @@CBers @@Luke @@ebr @@softworkz

It should be possible to navigate the plugin TV-like as it is right now, but with the benefits of accessing the files locally. It's nothing else than resuming playback of a local file when entering a channel.

I know, if ever, this is a longer turn on the dev team roadmap of priorities, but for a better user performance, the plugin should be tied much closer into the core component direction with possible exceptions regarding TV channel vs. local playback. The fact that @@pünktchen has to squeeze the plugin playback capabilities into the really tight but needed specifications of the TV streaming part is ridiculous on the long term.

Edited by shorty1483

shorty1483

You are asking questions. How should i know? I don't have all platform devices. I do not even use any of the official apps for watching live tv. I can say it has to be on for the Android Mobile app. For Android TV it depends somehow on the app setting "Direct stream live tv" if you get sound or not.

OK, thanks.

BTW when streaming for LiveTV is activated in ATV app, playback works (I got no sound for anything other than 2ch or AC3 audio but this could be due to my ATV device).

Edited by shorty1483

CBers

I have posted in the ATV beta thread to see if @@ebr has any idea why my content transcodes, or fails.

pünktchen

I did suggest that, but pünktchen said that it wasn't possible.

Yes, currently it's not possible with the server. That's what i'm talking about with Luke in an internal discussion.
  • Like 1

Dibbes

Funnily enough the plugin started working on 4.4.0.6 Beta Server. Not everything, a lot of playing errors for some reason and stream not starting, but often enough to make it more or less usable... nice!

pünktchen

Okay guys, new version 0.6.5 in the starting post and also probably the last version where i try to workaround Emby's playback faults:

Choose your weapon!

Under the transcoding options is a new drop down for selecting how "Single Playback" mode should act.

EmbyDirectStream is the option that was always there.

EmbyDirectStream (TS container, AAC) is a workaround for playback problems with Android apps. It's very fast, but keep an eye on your transcoding folder. Emby, not my plugin creates really really big files in this mode.

Both Emby options are using Emby's own ffmpeg streaming api.

FFmpegDirectStream is my custom implementation of ffmpeg. It's not so fast, but with this i can even direct play 4K HEVC HDR files with True-HD Atmos in the Android TV app :P

• Like 4

Dibbes

Nice work! Playback and starting times have really improved on Shield 2019. Is there any way to get subtitles working though?

pünktchen

Nice work! Playback and starting times have really improved on Shield 2019. Is there any way to get subtitles working though?

Internal subtitles should always be available, but i haven't really tested this. At least i could select them with FFmpegDirectStream last night.

Dibbes

I can select them, but they don't display... on the bar it also says the CC and language (for example CC Eng) and I can change language, but displaying is a nogo...

WilhelmStroker

This latest version has fixed continuous play for me on my Roku, and with the experimental transcoding option, streams start without issue on my android tablet too. This is great stuff!

• Like 1

pünktchen

I can select them, but they don't display... on the bar it also says the CC and language (for example CC Eng) and I can change language, but displaying is a nogo...

Which playback options in the plugin do you use?

Dibbes

Which playback options in the plugin do you use?

I kept is fairly standard. 

<ApiKey>APIKEY here</ApiKey>
  <ExportFolder>D:\EmbyVirtualTV</ExportFolder>
  <ExportPassword />
  <EnableLogging>false</EnableLogging>
  <AutoMarkWatched>90</AutoMarkWatched>
  <VirtualChannels>
    <VirtualChannel>
      <Id>VirtualTV0</Id>
      <Active>true</Active>
      <Name>The 90s Thriller & Action Channel</Name>
      <Number>1</Number>
      <Logo />
      <Primetime>20:15</Primetime>
      <ContinousPlayback>false</ContinousPlayback>
      <ExportChannel>true</ExportChannel>
      <UserName>LiveTVUser</UserName>
      <ChannelType>Movies</ChannelType>
      <Folders>
        <string>\\nirvana\Movies</string>
      </Folders>
      <WatchedState>Watched & Unwatched</WatchedState>
      <ReleasedAfter>1989</ReleasedAfter>
      <ReleasedBefore>2000</ReleasedBefore>
      <Tags>
        <string />
      </Tags>
      <Genres>
        <string>Thriller</string>
        <string>Action</string>
        <string>War</string>
      </Genres>
      <Actors>
        <string />
      </Actors>
      <Directors>
        <string />
      </Directors>
      <Studios>
        <string />
      </Studios>
      <AllConditions>true</AllConditions>
    </VirtualChannel>
  <SinglePlayback>FFmpegDirectStream</SinglePlayback>
  <VideoContainer>mkv</VideoContainer>
  <VideoCodec>h264</VideoCodec>
  <VideoResolution>Full HD</VideoResolution>
  <VideoFramerate>24</VideoFramerate>
  <VideoBitrate>100</VideoBitrate>
  <AudioCodec>ac3</AudioCodec>
  <ContinousPlaybackItemLimit>10</ContinousPlaybackItemLimit>
</PluginConfiguration>

Client is Shield 2019 with Server 4.4.0.6 Beta

pünktchen

Only as a test, while playing something that has subtitles in your channel, go to your transcoding folder. There should be a "VirtualTV0_yyyymmddhhmmss.mkv". Play this in VLC and check the subtitles.

Dibbes

In VLC I can select them... I know .srt's are not played (which I hope can be resolved), but internal should be displayed, right?

on a side note, shouldn't the transcode files be deleted when the stream stops? I have files from this morning in there still

Edited by Dibbes

pünktchen

In VLC I can select them... I know .srt's are not played (which I hope can be resolved), but internal should be displayed, right?

I think so, but i don't havy any clue why it doesn't work. There's no inside in the inner working of the Emby apps.

on a side note, shouldn't the transcode files be deleted when the stream stops? I have files from this morning in there still

Yes they should be deleted after about 20 seconds after a normal playback stop.

Search in your Emby log for "[VirtualTV] Cancel stream". This follows a killing of ffmpeg and 20 seconds later "[VirtualTV] Delete orphaned transcoding files".

Dibbes

Yes they should be deleted after about 20 seconds after a normal playback stop.

Search in your Emby log for "[VirtualTV] Cancel stream". This follows a killing of ffmpeg and 20 seconds later "[VirtualTV] Delete orphaned transcoding files".

Found out the reason for this. I shut down the Shield without stopping the Emby app first. This means it never sent a cancel stream...

• Like 1

CBers

Okay guys, new version 0.6.5 in the starting post and also probably the last version where i try to workaround Emby's playback faults:

Choose your weapon!

Under the transcoding options is a new drop down for selecting how "Single Playback" mode should act.

EmbyDirectStream is the option that was always there.

EmbyDirectStream (TS container, AAC) is a workaround for playback problems with Android apps. It's very fast, but keep an eye on your transcoding folder. Emby, not my plugin creates really really big files in this mode.

Both Emby options are using Emby's own ffmpeg streaming api.

FFmpegDirectStream is my custom implementation of ffmpeg. It's not so fast, but with this i can even direct play 4K HEVC HDR files with True-HD Atmos in the Android TV app :P

Updated to v0.6.5 and for me, FFmpegDirectStream is the better option, as I get 4K HDR and Atmos Direct Streaming.

EmbyDirectStream (TS) also works, but I don't get Atmos.

• Like 1

CBers

I didn't see any subtitles working when I was testing earlier on my Shield, although the stream says they're there, but there is this in the ffmpeg_VitrualTV log.

ffmpeg version 4.3.0-emby_2020_01_01-g5abbb1430d+4863 Copyright (c) 2000-2019 the FFmpeg developers and softworkz for Emby LLC
built with gcc 9.2.0 (Rev2, Built by MSYS2 project)
Execution Date: 2020-01-14 13:57:14
[matroska,webm @ 000001725ffbd2c0] Could not find codec parameters for stream 3 (Subtitle: hdmv_pgs_subtitle (pgssub)): unspecified size
Consider increasing the value for the 'analyzeduration' and 'probesize' options
[matroska,webm @ 000001725ffbd2c0] Could not find codec parameters for stream 4 (Subtitle: hdmv_pgs_subtitle (pgssub)): unspecified size
[matroska,webm @ 000001725ffbd2c0] Could not find codec parameters for stream 5 (Subtitle: hdmv_pgs_subtitle (pgssub)): unspecified size
[matroska,webm @ 000001725ffbd2c0] Could not find codec parameters for stream 6 (Subtitle: hdmv_pgs_subtitle (pgssub)): unspecified size
Guessed Channel Layout for Input Stream #0.2 : 7.1
Input #0, matroska,webm, from '\\MediaServer\Videos\Movies\Men in Black International (2019)\Men in Black International (2019) - 4K.mkv':

Not sure if it's related.

Full log attached for reference.

ffmpeg-VirtualTV1_20200114135714.txt

pünktchen

I will increase those two options a little bit. The tricky thing is to find values that will work in most cases but do not slow down the starting that much.

But sometimes even with both values at a maximum ffmpeg will not be satisfied.

Edited by pünktchen
  • Like 1

Scott D

Great job on this plugin.  It is fantastic solution to "what to watch overload".  

Hopefully, you will consider and add these to the "future additions" roadmap:

1.  Select/unselect individual folders within a library via check-box.

2.  Add a "Condition" for runtime.  I.e., <30 minutes, >31 minutes, >60 minutes, etc. 

Keep up the great work.

• Like 1