how do I get the Android app to play passthrough audio

ltworf13

ltworf13

I have an egreat A10 Android box which can play DTS-HD 7.1 TrueDH and Atmos. where do i go in the Emby app to make it passthrough to my receiver please and thank you in advance

ltworf13

i went to app settings then playback settings. there's nothing for auto audio. only Max Streaming bitrate. when i go into a file it shows audio type for example DTS but when i play it it's not doing passthrough and it's not in DTS. Do i need to go to my NAS xpynology EMBY Server settings to make that change

FrostByte

If you click on "Max Streaming Bitrate" it brings up a menu and Auto is at the very top.

If you scroll down further in Playback Settings though you should see options for DTS and DTS-HD passthrough  - check those

You can also set "Audio Output" to Auto which is right above the DTS settings

Edited by FrostByte

ltworf13

"Max Streaming Bitrate" is set to Auto

Playback doesn't show options for DTS and DTS-HD passthrough. Unless you mean the option "Use external Player for Videos" which I now have selected. However, i the a popup message about seting up the server librarywith the network path, which I believe I have unless I'm misunderstanding this. it also says something about path substitution, which I'm not familiar with. Tried a file it pops up with play with the external but it fails to play so I obviously have it set wrong.

ALSO, than :Dk you very much for helping me on Christmas day, very much appreciated 

FrostByte

They are above the "Use External Player for Videos" option on mine.  Not sure why yours isn't showing the check boxes for DTS or the "Audio Output" setting. 

Does your Android box have settings for the allowed audio formats?  My Shield auto detected that my soundbar supports DTS so it could be that the app only shows me the DTS checkboxes because the Shield already detected DTS was supported

Is your DTS being transcoded by the server then?  As far as I know there is nothing on the server to allow DTS passthrough except you can turn off audio transcoding, but that may result in no sound if you turned it off

If the DTS options don't show, that means your system does not report support for DTS.  That isn't surprising on an off-brand box because support for those requires licensing. 

• Like 1

ltworf13

i uninstalled and reinstalled still doesn't show those options. However after reinstall I can now use the use external player and the boxes internal player works so I now get the full DTS-HD, TrueHD 7.1 Atmos sound. It's just odd that I can't get the apps setting to play passthrough like you all have. I'm thinking maybe it has to do with the Android version. I'm trying to figure out which Android version my box has but it's not showing in the setup info.

Also the Emby app shows that my trial ends January 8. Does the Emby app cost money after a while and how much?

Also the Emby app shows that my trial ends January 8. Does the Emby app cost money after a while and how much?

Hi.  From the app description on the store:

This app is free and will function for browsing your collection.  For library playback, you need to either unlock the app with a small in-app purchase or have an active Emby Premiere membership  Some other features, such as Live TV are only available with Premiere.

The only device I know of that supports TrueHD and DTS-HD passthru within an Android app is the Nvidia Shield.

FrostByte

is there a big difference between the Nvidia Shield 4k Pro or the Nvidia TV?

I almost got the tube until I read on the nVidia forums that it is only running in 32-bit mode because of the lower amount of RAM

is there a big difference between the Nvidia Shield 4k Pro or the Nvidia TV?

I got one of the tube versions for testing and I turned it into my main box.  I think it is the best value in devices out there.  The one gig less of RAM is not an issue for me (just using Emby, Netflix and YouTube).  The "box" performs at least as well as my 1st gen Shield it replaced and the remote is 100 times better.

FrostByte

and the remote is 100 times better.

I do like the remote.  Not being a Netflix user though I've remapped that silly button to Emby/Disney+ -- just need a little masking tape now

• 7 months later...
On 29/12/2019 at 18:09, ebr said:

I got one of the tube versions for testing and I turned it into my main box.  I think it is the best value in devices out there.  The one gig less of RAM is not an issue for me (just using Emby, Netflix and YouTube).  The "box" performs at least as well as my 1st gen Shield it replaced and the remote is 100 times better.

Hello ebr, I have a Emby premiere subscription for almost 2 years now and I have always had troubles with your clients.. Emby for Apple -> no atmos passthrough (not your fault) and no refresh rate switching until recently, and even with the new player not everything can be played. Emby for Android TV -> no optical passthrough (I don't even know if its working now)

I thought that I could fix it all with a Shield TV (tube).. but no matter what settings I change I only get Linear PCM in my receiver (Sony dn1080) using the Emby app. So please help me out here, is there some hidden setting or FW or Emby beta version to make it work???? Thanks in advance.

30 minutes ago, c_g_f said:

I thought that I could fix it all with a Shield TV (tube).. but no matter what settings I change I only get Linear PCM in my receiver (Sony dn1080) using the Emby app. So please help me out here, is there some hidden setting or FW or Emby beta version to make it work???? Thanks in advance.

Hello again, it turned out to be the settings on the Sony DN1080 receiver (which I find very odd). A long time ago I had disabled CEC (which would also disable earc) on the receiver because everytime I turned on the TV (and the receiver because of CEC) after 30 secs the receiver would launch its HOME overlay and I would have to manually select my source (S902 box with Kody and embycon) which was the most annoying thing. By disabling CEC on the receiver I could still control the box with the TV remote (LG B7) and since the box was directly connected to the receiver I would still get atmos passthrough. The thing is, sometimes I use Emby for LG to watch TV shows and I just use the TV speakers.. then for movies I use also the receiver. It wasn't such a big deal having to turn them both on and control de volume with the receiver remote... also just for music I would not have wanted the tv to be on..

I have enabled CEC and auto standby on the 3 devices now (tv, receiver and shield) and when I put the shield to sleep the tv and receiver turn off... and they turn back on when I wake the shield tv... AND most importantly the stupid receiver doesn't launch the HOME overlay anymore after 30 seconds. I am very happy.. at last.

But I don't understand why passthrough wouldn't work with CEC (or earc) disabled since the receiver is getting the signal from the shield directly and not from the tv through arc or earc.

Anyway, I hope this will help somebody.. sorry for the first ranting :)

• Like 1