Drobo b1200i

pir8radio

pir8radio

Well, I know a lot of people HATE Drobo's lol, but I have had and used one since their first gen1 came out..   I (knock on wood) can say I have never had a major issue with any of them.. I do rotate/replace my drives on a pretty regular schedule.   My emby server currently uses a Drobo Pro 8 bay iscsi to my server, and I'm running out of some space..   Now that the Drobo b1200i  is end of life they come up now and then on ebay for decent prices..   I found one and picked it up on ebay for $500  not bad considering new they ran $3,000-10,000 bucks.  Ordered up a bunch of 6TB SaS drives to start it off and hope to start migrating from my drobo pro this weekend..    iscsi performance is way better on this model, and it has replaceable and redundant parts.    Pretty excited to get some movies on it, and have more bandwidth to my array!

Spec Sheet

5e01529c30a5e_0000274drobob1200i.png        5e0152a6697d8_StorageReviewDroboB1200iRe

Edited by pir8radio

pir8radio

So it uses a form of drive pooling, or is it a striped pool? A kind of mix pool and RAID?

It's their proprietary "raid", which is why most people don't like drobo.   I would say it is probably most like raid 6 using two parity drives, with the exception of expansion and drive replacement, if i have 6 1tb drives in it, I have 3.63Tb of storage, and can loose any two of the 6 drives.   But I can pull any of the drives (one at a time) and put in a larger drive in its spot. Once at least two drives are replaced you have the benefit of the larger drives.

Here is their online calculator:  https://www.drobo.com/storage-products/capacity-calculator/

Edited by pir8radio

pir8radio

None of my Drobo's do the apps, I think its only the 5 drive ones...  Mine are iscsi.

But got the new guy installed and migrating all of my media from the 8 drive to the 12 drive.    Not pretty, but it works well!

5e06e567728f0_80685085_1409371125905331_

• Like 1

pir8radio

@@Luke Unrelated. But how can I change my drive letter in the libraries without having Emby rescan the entire library? Like all of my media was on drive D: now I have an exact copy on G: I want to change Emby from D to G without redoing everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pir8radio

There currently isn't an easy way.

Any hackery? Maybe manually editing db or xml? I don’t store the art in the movie folder so I think it will try to re-download all of that right?

Happy2Play

Any hackery? Maybe manually editing db or xml? I don’t store the art in the movie folder so I think it will try to re-download all of that right?

The library.db path column in MediaItems table for the items, possibly some entries in the Images column also, and the path in the options.xml for the library in the /root/default folder.

Edited by Happy2Play

pir8radio

The library.db path column in MediaItems table for the items, possibly some entries in the Images column also, and the path in the options.xml for the library in the /root/default folder.

Per item. Humm. Lol sounds like a rebuild might be better like Luke said lol. I was hoping it would be a little easier.

Thx guys!!

Edited by pir8radio

Happy2Play

Per item. Humm. Lol sounds like a rebuild might be better like Luke said lol. I was hoping it would be a little easier.

Thx guys!!

Well a replace path would cover all items with the same path.

Similar to this.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/63573-36051-metadata-people-empty/?p=631143

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

pir8radio

Well, I ended up getting everything moved over, went quicker than I thought...  Almost took longer to rescan the library lol.       But emby is running on the new ARRAY!  HOORAY!     

Pretty happy with the drobo array throughput, I ended up using two 1GB/s connections to/from the array/server and enabled MPIO and I'm getting a little under 2GB/s, with overhead I think thats pretty good for spinning drives on a "home" setup.

I have about the same internet throughput, so theoretically I should be able to move from drive to internet about 400 Streams of HD (5 Mbps netflix quality), 100 streams of HD video (at 15 Mbps video quality) or about 40 4k streams (at 35 Mbps) not transcoding. 

5e0a9956b5e69_Screenshotfrom201912301841

Edited by pir8radio