Android client

Redshirt

Whenever I try to play a file with no meta data (like a file within a TV Series/Season folder, but not having the correct sXXeXX naming convention), the app will always hang and crash. Is this a known bug or maybe something is wrong at my end? If I use my browser, there seems to be know problem playing it.

Thanks for all the hard work!

Redshirt

Whenever I try to play a file with no meta data (like a file within a TV Series/Season folder, but not having the correct sXXeXX naming convention), the app will always hang and crash. Is this a known bug or maybe something is wrong at my end? If I use my browser, there seems to be know problem playing it.

Thanks for all the hard work!

What beta is that with, out of curiosity. I just played a home movie and it crashed here, It appears it's a bug on my end.

Redshirt

I'm using Beta 14 on a Nexus 7 (2013) and am having the screen freeze when I try to use the A-Z bar to jump to movies in my collection.

If at the beginning I scroll through the movies - no problem.   If I try to jump from the beginning to say "K" the screen freezes and I am no longer able to scroll.  Finally I will get a message asking whether I wish to "wait" or "exit the app"

I've tried waiting several times in a row (around 10 minutes or so) and finally have to exit the app.

The movies play wonderfully, though.  Thanks for all of your hard work.

I'd like to see a client log when that happens. They are in your Mb3AndroidData\Logs folder. You may need to install a file manager on your device to reach them.

yXrq2nXl.png

This is using the beta linked above while trying to play a video which doesn't conform to naming standards on a 2013 nexus 7. It still causes the hanging problem.

FWIW: The web browser and roku app play this file just fine via transcoding.

Edited by speechles

Sure.. here is Automan EP13.xml from within the /metadata folder of season 1.

<Item><EpisodeName>Automan EP13</EpisodeName><SeasonNumber>1</SeasonNumber><Added>10/1/2013 8:27:09 PM</Added><LockData>false</LockData><Type>Episode</Type><RunningTime>45</RunningTime><Runtime>45</Runtime><MediaInfo><Video><Codec>mpeg1video</Codec><FFCodec>mpeg1video</FFCodec><BitRate>1150000</BitRate><Width>352</Width><Height>288</Height><AspectRatio>1958:1467</AspectRatio><FrameRate>25</FrameRate><Default>False</Default><Forced>False</Forced><Duration>45</Duration><DurationSeconds>2698</DurationSeconds></Video><Audio><Codec>mp2</Codec><FFCodec>mp2</FFCodec><BitRate>224000</BitRate><Channels>2</Channels><SamplingRate>44100</SamplingRate><Default>False</Default><Forced>False</Forced></Audio></MediaInfo></Item>

and here is the mediainfo of the same file.

General
Complete name                            : L:\--TV SHOWS\Automan\Season 1\Automan EP13.mpg
Format                                   : CDXA/MPEG-PS
File size                                : 454 MiB
Duration                                 : 45mn 20s
Overall bit rate                         : 1 412 Kbps
Writing library                          : encoded by TMPGEnc (ver. 2.59.47.155)

Video
ID                                       : 224 (0xE0)
Format                                   : MPEG Video
Format version                           : Version 1
Format settings, BVOP                    : Yes
Format settings, Matrix                  : Custom
Format settings, GOP                     : Variable
Duration                                 : 45mn 20s
Bit rate                                 : 1 150 Kbps
Width                                    : 352 pixels
Height                                   : 288 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 4:3
Frame rate                               : 25.000 fps
Standard                                 : PAL
Color space                              : YUV
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.454
Time code of first frame                 : 00:00:00:00
Time code source                         : Group of pictures header
Stream size                              : 373 MiB (82%)
Writing library                          : TMPGEnc 2.59.47.155

Audio
ID                                       : 192 (0xC0)
Format                                   : MPEG Audio
Format version                           : Version 1
Format profile                           : Layer 2
Duration                                 : 44mn 57s
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 224 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Sampling rate                            : 44.1 KHz
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 72.0 MiB (16%)

Ok Red will want the android logs from your device as well (i would have prefered our media info not from the mediainfo program) but i got what i needed from the xml.

You will most likely need a file explorer like es file explorer or similar and access the mb3AndroidData/logs dir and post a link to the log file (use paste2.org or a drop box) please.

Actually, it's crashing before I can ever get to play the video. Soon as I get to what normally should be the "details" screen for the episode (which in this case is blank since of course, its not named correctly). There is no opportunity to ever hit play in reality. If you choose to wait rather than close the app, it will eventually lockup the entire tablet (2013 nexus 7) having to hold power down for a bit to force it off, then power back on. This happens with most shows that aren't named correctly with proper s01e13/1x13 names which are picked up with metadata.

Here's the log file you asked for: http://paste2.org/WJHgX7jj

and wondering: is the beta in this thread, the one found above, purposely not able to spawn an external player for testing internal player strength? Because no matter the setting for this the option to spawn externally is disregarded.. O_o;;?

Other than this, I have occasional problems with my tablet in the portrait orientation. Sometimes the synopsis for the show is at the very bottom get at most 1 line or 2 (the synopsis can be 15 lines possibly) and using the finger to scroll this tiny area is maddeningly difficult.. lol.. It looks so oddly out of place. Again this happens when not all pieces of meta data exist so it may be creating this effect because the size of the placeholders which are never filled in are left empty. But overall this is my defacto streaming method. I was using bubbleupnp primarily, but it lacks a metadata feature and simply browses folders (not so good). Mediabrowser3 can externally spawn thru bubbleupnp which in turn spawns bsplayer for me. This works wonderfully! Once the few bugs are worked out that bring this client up to speed like the roku client seems to be moving at, and you will pwn plex's android app. Which for the most part, imo, it already does. ;D

Edited by speechles

kazz63758

I'd like to see a client log when that happens. They are in your Mb3AndroidData\Logs folder. You may need to install a file manager on your device to reach them.

I tried going through yesterday's logs,  and got totally lost trying to determine which would be pertinent.   So,  I started a new session this morning and was able to duplicate the issue.  But there are only two instances of "wait" or "close" in this session.  I found two logs with today's date:

1st shorter log

2nd (longer) log

Hope this helps.   Again,  thanks for your efforts!

blade005

Redshirt. Any chance that we could have an option at the item level for choosing to use the Internal or an identified External player? I want to use your internal player as much as possible on items that can direct stream or stream copy to minimize server side processor demands. But, I have an extensive collection of items that would require transcoding and would prefer to use MX Player to stream these files. The issue is that once I have drilled down to an item and realize I would need to change the player based on video profile, I have to back all the way out to home screen to make the player adjustment. Would be nice if that option were in the pull down menu at the item level.

CBers

+1 for blade005's request.

Also, could we chose our own icons to display for movies/TV shows etc ??

At the moment they are the default white icons:

Capture745.JPG

In MBC I use the coloured ones:

Capture744.JPG

Might be nice to have the same images.

Just a thought.

TIA.

Edited by CBers

Redshirt, yes! That fixed it entirely!!1!shift!eleven..

Now there is no lockup/freeze what so ever. I can now enter the details page and see info displayed as to encodings used on the video, etc. The only issue is, it still won't play that video. Using internal player or external player. BTW, the issue I had with not spawning the external player correctly has to do with updating over the top, of the old beta. In settings, it has external selected but internal player will spawn. After you swap this back to internal and back to external it then works.

Below is the logfile from your latest beta. This is trying to play that same automan ep13 mpeg it doesn't freeze, it just never actually plays the video. The internal player will seem to wait forever, an external player will spawn and immediately exit.

http://paste2.org/g80X0CUj

BTW: What IRC network/channel do you guys idle on?? All devs have IRC accounts don't they? It would be moar awesome to discuss some of the smaller issues there than create a huge amount of posts in this thread which become then irrelevant once the bugs are fixed. :)

Also, appreciate the work you've done so far. Make sure once you've matured this application for google play you charge for it. I paid for bubbleupnp, I'd pay for this. ;)

5esZtwll.pngemSNOhVl.pngllBeL6jl.png

Here's a few screenshots to show how it looks when it doesn't have the "stars" shown on the series.

Note: The missing eye (viewed) and heart (favorite) in the first screenshot happens when you rotate, soon as it does these two options disappear.

Edited by speechles

Redshirt

Actually, it's crashing before I can ever get to play the video. Soon as I get to what normally should be the "details" screen for the episode (which in this case is blank since of course, its not named correctly). There is no opportunity to ever hit play in reality. If you choose to wait rather than close the app, it will eventually lockup the entire tablet (2013 nexus 7) having to hold power down for a bit to force it off, then power back on. This happens with most shows that aren't named correctly with proper s01e13/1x13 names which are picked up with metadata.

Here's the log file you asked for: http://paste2.org/WJHgX7jj

and wondering: is the beta in this thread, the one found above, purposely not able to spawn an external player for testing internal player strength? Because no matter the setting for this the option to spawn externally is disregarded.. O_o;;?

Other than this, I have occasional problems with my tablet in the portrait orientation. Sometimes the synopsis for the show is at the very bottom get at most 1 line or 2 (the synopsis can be 15 lines possibly) and using the finger to scroll this tiny area is maddeningly difficult.. lol.. It looks so oddly out of place. Again this happens when not all pieces of meta data exist so it may be creating this effect because the size of the placeholders which are never filled in are left empty. But overall this is my defacto streaming method. I was using bubbleupnp primarily, but it lacks a metadata feature and simply browses folders (not so good). Mediabrowser3 can externally spawn thru bubbleupnp which in turn spawns bsplayer for me. This works wonderfully! Once the few bugs are worked out that bring this client up to speed like the roku client seems to be moving at, and you will pwn plex's android app. Which for the most part, imo, it already does. ;D

Please try this build and see if it stops dying when it enters the details page.

As for the external player issue. I have made no changes to how that behaves and I have been unable to reproduce that issue. When enabled the external player launches just fine here

As for the overview being pushed offscreen. Can you provide a screenshot so I can try and determine which element is misbehaving. I'm not seeing the same behavior on my nexus 7 (2013) but I must not have the right combination of missing meta.

Redshirt

speechles. I don't spend any time in IRC, but I could spend time in this forums chat. Or you could open Github issues for the bugs. Either or

and btw, the disappearing buttons was a nice find, I totally didn't notice that happening

Edited by Redshirt

kamakamadaun

I ran into a file that fails to play. Some ffmpeg issue. I tried running a conversion manually with ffmpeg and it worked fine. Can I do something to find the cause?

The client just hangs forever.

ffmpeg version N-56041-gf974289 Copyright (c) 2000-2013 the FFmpeg developers
built on Sep 4 2013 18:01:17 with gcc 4.7.3 (GCC)
configuration: [cut for length]
libavutil 52. 43.100 / 52. 43.100
libavcodec 55. 31.101 / 55. 31.101
libavformat 55. 16.101 / 55. 16.101
libavdevice 55. 3.100 / 55. 3.100
libavfilter 3. 83.102 / 3. 83.102
libswscale 2. 5.100 / 2. 5.100
libswresample 0. 17.103 / 0. 17.103
libpostproc 52. 3.100 / 52. 3.100
Input #0, matroska,webm, from 'file:\\XXXX.mkv':
Duration: 00:21:26.82, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 2726 kb/s
Stream #0:0(eng): Video: h264 (High), yuv420p, 1278x720, SAR 1:1 DAR 71:40, 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 1k tbn, 59.94 tbc (default)
Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 384 kb/s (default)
[libx264 @ 025aa560] height not divisible by 2 (1280x721)
Output #0, hls, to 'C:\XXXXXXXX\69521609-dbe7-aa47-abb0-4a0832981614.m3u8':
Stream #0:0(eng): Video: h264, yuv420p, 1280x721 [SAR 51191:51200 DAR 71:40], q=-1--1, 872 kb/s, 90k tbn, 30 tbc (default)
Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: aac, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 128 kb/s (default)
Stream mapping:
Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (h264 -> libx264)
Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (ac3 -> libvo_aacenc)
Error while opening encoder for output stream #0:0 - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height

height not divisible by 2 (1280x721)

Is the issue although I thought we had this taken care of in the server I will check it for you.

Edit: Fix submitted for Luke's approval

Edited by Tikuf

shaefurr

So after updating from beta 13 to 14 my remote play stopped working, It will still Browse To, but play just does nothing (this is to a MBC and MBT client). There's nothing in my MB3 android log folder either.

Edited by shaefurr

coolspot

An update to my problem about not being able to use external player after update to beta 14.  After clearing the data on the droid and uninstall/reinstalling mediabrowser, it fixed my issue.

Redshirt

I don't know why it's happening, but toggling it off then on again apparently fixes it. In otherwords for some reason it shows as on but it's actually off.

Redshirt

So after updating from beta 13 to 14 my remote play stopped working, It will still Browse To, but play just does nothing (this is to a MBC and MBT client). There's nothing in my MB3 android log folder either.

This appears to be a server bug, I can't remote play from the web client to MBT either. I've opened a github issue regarding it.

Redshirt

I tried going through yesterday's logs,  and got totally lost trying to determine which would be pertinent.   So,  I started a new session this morning and was able to duplicate the issue.  But there are only two instances of "wait" or "close" in this session.  I found two logs with today's date:

1st shorter log

2nd (longer) log

Hope this helps.   Again,  thanks for your efforts!

Haven't forgotten. I see your error but can't reproduce.... Trying to figure out my next step.

• Like 1

Redshirt

Hey Red,

Not sure if this is a known issue, but the volume controls don't work for me when playing remotely. Strangely, mute works, but volume up and down don't. Let me know if I can provide any more info. Thanks.

I've verified I'm sending the commands. It's likely that the client your communicating doesn't respond to the volume up/down commands. The Android client doesn't yet respond to them if they're received from another client.

blade005

Redshirt. With your new, very nice design layout in Beta 14, are there any plans to support the Specials folder that has been implemented in MB Server and works with the Web Client?  Seems like a logical tab to offer as one of the swipes in the new design layout.  Thanks again for all of your efforts.