Android client

Redshirt

Redshirt any chance that you could make the trailers also be playable by external players ?

As it is now trailers are played by the internal player despite that I have external player set as default.

Firstly, I really appreciate the development that's gone into this and the internal player surprisingly works even better than anything on the play store for me. Always smooth and so far I haven't had any sort of issue with codecs. I do have a problem with it however where if I pause it and then resume, it plays for maybe 20 more seconds then freezes indefinitely and I have to quit the video then resume it.

Also I don't mean any offence but is this app going to get easier on the eyes? At least conform to Android design guidlines more? I've been using this for local playback for a long time and I think it does this exceptionally https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.miz.mizuu&hl=en

But of course, top priority is function. Thanks again :)

Cant please all the people all the time. I really like the interface as does Red (or he wouldn't have made it look like it does).

What about it do you think is not easy on the eye?

Redshirt

I'm probably going to regret asking this, but how exactly am I not following android design guidelines?

Cant please all the people all the time. I really like the interface as does Red (or he wouldn't have made it look like it does).

What about it do you think is not easy on the eye?

I completely get that, I'm not saying it looks terrible but personally I'm just not a fan of the colour choice. (Explained below)

I'm probably going to regret asking this, but how exactly am I not following android design guidelines?

Maybe I'm just not familiar enough with them myself but while I have no gripes with button placement (although I think the play button being much larger and somewhere more central on the screen would be much better) it doesn't look anything like Android's Holo theme, colour wise. I was under the impression that was included in the guidlines but I could be wrong and if so, apologies. If the movies and tv show tab categories on the main screen for example looked like this http://developer.android.com/design/media/app_structure_default_tabs.png as opposed to the current images, the experience would feel more familiar and hence perhaps better.

With regards to the play button, how about making the episode thumbnail/backdrop functional as the play button instead? Or at least place it below the description.

Also, would it be possible to choose when to display posters over backdrops as opposed to the one toggle for everything?

Edited by Raeksis

Redshirt

Thank you for the reply.

There are definitely changes/improvements I would like to make to the UI, Building a fully functional and reliable app has to take precedence. I have to admit that none of the changes you've suggested are on my radar at all. With the exception of perhaps letting a little more of the holo dark theme bleed through.

Thank you for the reply.

There are definitely changes/improvements I would like to make to the UI, Building a fully functional and reliable app has to take precedence. I have to admit that none of the changes you've suggested are on my radar at all. With the exception of perhaps letting a little more of the holo dark theme bleed through.

No problem, that was exactly my thinking. I look forward to seeing some holo :)

EDIT: Just noticed the screenshots here http://mediabrowser.tv/portfolio-type/android/ Are they just mockups?

Edited by Raeksis

Heckler

What does side loading mean?

I've got one of the Tesco Hudl 7" tablets, running 4.2.2

Edited by Heckler

CBers

I've got one of the Tesco Hudl 7" tablets, running 4.2.2

Cool - is it any good - been looking at getting one myself to play with - I already have a Nexus 7 and 10, but I LIKE GADGETS :)

Good day Mark,

I am installing it on my wife Samsung Galaxy S4 now, I wish tho we have easy link to download, typing that link is ...   :)

I will give feedback later today, well done as always.

My best

trusselo

Good day Mark,

I am installing it on my wife Samsung Galaxy S4 now, I wish tho we have easy link to download, typing that link is ...   :)

I will give feedback later today, well done as always.

My best

Abobader - use the share buttons at the bottom of the page, and share by twitter, G+ or email to your phone/wifes phone ect.

then open the web link for this page on the smartphone, and click on the "here" download link.  

**hint: share page 1**

then also save as bookmark, on phone's web browser.

Using Chrome on pc and phone, linked to a single account, can also make it easier.

EDIT: not only can you share a page with the share buttons lined up at the bottom of the page, but you can also share a single post by clicking the icon_share.png button, in the upper right of each post. 

Edited by trusselo
  • Like 1

Good day buddy

Abobader - use the share buttons at the bottom of the page, and share by twitter, G+ or email to your phone/wifes phone ect.

then open the web link for this page on the smartphone, and click on the "here" download link.  

**hint: share page 1**

then also save as bookmark, on phone's web browser.

Using Chrome on pc and phone, linked to a single account, can also make it easier.

EDIT: not only can you share a page with the share buttons lined up at the bottom of the page, but you can also share a single post by clicking the icon_share.png button, in the upper right of each post. 

Many thanks, well done!

I am wondering if there will be any d-pad remote support for use on GTV (soon to be android TV?) and/or android stick computers?

It seems that most everything works but the second row where you can go to the library, next up, resume or new.

D-pad support in MX is sketchy for setting settings but it works for pause/play/stop and I know that is not in the control of the MB development team.

Thanks for the fantastic work on this project. It is coming along quite nicely now.

Heckler

Cool - is it any good - been looking at getting one myself to play with - I already have a Nexus 7 and 10, but I LIKE GADGETS :)

Yes, I'm very impressed with it so far. It's running 4.2.2, is nearly vanilla android... it does have a few Tesco apps and the home screen has a [T] in the lower left corner to take you to their stores.

Specs are good, 1.5ghz quad core snapdragon, 1440x900 screen which is very crisp and clear, has good viewing angles. 1gb ram I think, plus 16gb storage... more like 12gb after OS and such. But it does have a micro sd port and I've added an extra 32gb card to make mine 48gb.

Front cam is about 1mp and rear cam is 3mp... there's no flash and the cam is pretty basic but I guess there's probably apps that have more features and functions than the basic one.

The speakers are surprisingly bright and crisp, although suited to higher tones than bassier ones. Wifi is dual band and I get a decent signal to my sky home hub all around the house.

For £119... I can't fault it... Amazon are taking it seriously as they dropped the prices of their kindle fire and fire HD to £99 & £119. I was really considering a nexus 7 but didn't have a spare £200

I know the specs are more early 2013 than current/newer ones... I know that some are going to 2ghz or higher quad core cpu's and tere's talk that next year Samsung will be using an octocore.

But for now I can't fault my choice, it's light enough to use as a book with the kindle app and at night with the screen on night mode it's not too bright to still read. Battery life (not sure on mah size) is decent and light browsing for a few hrs a day and some reading has seen it last me a couple of days with wifi on all the time.

Monkey to Monkey

Side loading

Cheers, will take a look at that... My avatar is actually a gif and his arm moves... but gifs as avatars isn't supported here yet.  :)

Heckler

OK, have now installed and tested with a TV show... f*cking awesome is all I can say.

Is it wrong that I can now watch my shows from anywhere in the house... even in the crapper. Not that I would, because I have never even taken my phone in there... The bathroom is for taking a piss or having a dump, and I DO NOT want fecal molecules floating around and getting on my devices.

Works like a charm, streaming was good... will test it shortly on some HD movies, got one that's really high bandwidth.

• Like 1

Hi Redshirt,

Remember i told you theme mjsic wasnt working for me? It was because the theme.mp3 files were set to hidden. Unhide them and it works fine. :-)

Thanks

Heckler

A little feedback from me.

It refuses to play any movie that is a large filesize.  I tried it with Star Trek (13gb mkv), Apollo 13 (6.5gb mkv) all refused to play at all, just sat there with the rotating circle.  Other files between 3 and 5GB eventually played but constantly stopped and stuttered along. Films under 3gb generally play ok.

All movies were a mix of 720p 1080p and DVD quality.

I realise that this could be a limitation of the wireless network and/or my tablets playback capabilities. I'm running it on a quad core snapdragon 1.5ghz cpu and over wirless N. I am approx 6m from the router and have 3 bars.

Redshirt

Heckler. I'm able to play a movie that is 18GB on my 2013 Nexus 7 and Galaxy S III. I'd like to see the server log as well as the ffmpeg log for your attempt. Also, have you set your wifi bitrate to something high like 10+ MB/s If its too low, it may have trouble streaming. 

Heckler

OK, set it to 10mb/s and tried to play the star trek movie again... Still just sites there.

Maybe it's because the media centre it's located on is also connected via wifi

Edited by Heckler