Emby for Kodi: Clarifying 'adding permanent users to session' and what it syncs

Red5ive

Red5ive

This is related to my thread asking about the easiest way to switch/sync profiles in Kodi:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/80520-changing-emby-user-logged-in-easily/&do=findComment&comment=821502

Apologies for posing the same question twice but though this may be worthy of its own thread.

Before I much around with trying to set up 2 different profiles and remote mappings and shortcuts I stumbled upon the 'Permanent users' setting under the 'users added to session' options. I already had my profile logged in 'Steve' so I added my second user 'Hayley' and now when I start Kodi I get the emby for kodi welcome message saying "Welcome Steve, Hayley"

From reading the FAQ I though that this would sync watch status etc with both users but it seems to only do it for the primary 'Steve' account.

Can you clarify if its supposed to sync to both profiles and what does it actually sync, is it just play states or can it sync/merge favorites etc?

Red5ive

Doing some searching I stumbled upon this thread which is similar to what I am trying to achieve:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/65717-feature-request-multiple-users-1-kodi-profile/?hl=%2Buser+%2Bprofile

where @saulfred suggested running embycon alongside emby for kodi.

With the emby for kodi signed in as me (Steve) and embycon signed in with hayley the embuary skin shows separate library nodes and widgets for both users alongside in the same session which is great and with the 'permanent user' setting set in emby for kodi to log in Hayley it should also sync the play states etc between the two if I am correct?

It also means that both sets of users favorites can be seen together:

post-525280-0-31110200-1577035441_thumb.jpg

which is again great but it looks like there is no option to change the labels next to them (emby) and (embycon) that appear next to the widgets.  There is an option under embuary skin settings to hide the embycon label but not to change it.

It would be the final step if I could rename them so they say 'Favourite TV Shows (Hayley)', anyway to do that @saulfred?

feerlessleadr

Doing some searching I stumbled upon this thread which is similar to what I am trying to achieve:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/65717-feature-request-multiple-users-1-kodi-profile/?hl=%2Buser+%2Bprofile

where @saulfred suggested running embycon alongside emby for kodi.

With the emby for kodi signed in as me (Steve) and embycon signed in with hayley the embuary skin shows separate library nodes and widgets for both users alongside in the same session which is great and with the 'permanent user' setting set in emby for kodi to log in Hayley it should also sync the play states etc between the two if I am correct?

It also means that both sets of users favorites can be seen together:

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

which is again great but it looks like there is no option to change the labels next to them (emby) and (embycon) that appear next to the widgets.  There is an option under embuary skin settings to hide the embycon label but not to change it.

It would be the final step if I could rename them so they say 'Favourite TV Shows (Hayley)', anyway to do that @saulfred?

That original request was mine, and I have a similar setup running now. 

While I don't use the favorites widget, what you can do is instead of using the widgets that ship with embuary, you can create a custom widget that points to the favorites 'folder' in each add-on, and then add the custom widget to your homescreen. You'll be able to call the widget whatever you want as well. 

Red5ive

Hi @@feerlessleadr

So with emby4kodi signed in with the main profile and the 'permanent user' set to the other one and embycon setup to login with the other profile it should all sync then?

I was thinking about doing custom widgets for the home screen if the default ones cant be re-named.

What about for the favorites menu heading in the top bar though, don't think we can customize the widgets on that screen? They show the defaults like in my pic above.

Edited by Red5ive

feerlessleadr

Hi @@feerlessleadr

So with emby4kodi signed in with the main profile and the 'permanent user' set to the other one and embycon setup to login with the other profile it should all sync then?

I was thinking about doing custom widgets for the home screen if the default ones cant be re-named.

What about for the favorites menu heading in the top bar though, don't think we can customize the widgets on that screen? They show the defaults like in my pic above.

Yeah, that's my understanding (in regards to your first part). 

Unfortunately, I don't use favorites so I can't answer your second question though. 

sualfred

This is a corner case and setup. I have not added support for a custom the identifier tag and I don't want to "overload" the skin settings so I have to say "no" to this feature. Sorry.

Edited by sualfred

Red5ive

No problem.

I realized this was a niche setup but found the entries I needed to change myself by digging around in the xml files:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/49724-support-thread-embuary-a-emby-kodi-skin/page-88&do=findComment&comment=826299

I realise I will need to re-apply the changes after each upgrade but happy that it looks good cosmetically and will be easier for me and the wife to get all our content alongside each other without having to set up multiple kodi profiles.