Reccomended GPU for HW Decoding

frdb

Hi,

I've started to accrue 4K content and am looking to move from CPU Transcoding to GPU.  I am using Ubuntu 18.04 inside a VM and intend to purchase a discrete GPU to pass through.

All of my 4K content, and most of my HD and SD content are stored in HEVC but I also use H264 in MP4 & MKV containers (although I'm sure the container doesn't matter).

I'm looking for a GPU thats beefy enough to run 3-4 4K transcodes simultaniously (if this isn't too much to ask), I usually use AMD for GPU's but thats for gaming and image manipulation so am open to anything that will work happily with Ubuntu and will provide the power I need, reading through the Wiki tells me that Nvidia and AMD will work.

Which GPU do you think is 'best' for my requrements?

Thanks for your help

Fred.

I'm sure AMD Radeon makes very fine cards for your purpose but I'm not familiar with them and prefer Nvidia. The GTX 1060 6Gb will do what you need when "patched". It hits a sweet spot for value and performance.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

sfatula

I second Nvidia, consumer products limited to 2 simultaneous but as pointed out above, you can patch and get a lot more than 2. I have a 2060 and it's very fast.

Thanks for your replies, I will seek out a 1060 card. Is there a huge difference between 3GB and 6GB options. I see the 6GB has more CUDA cores, will this matter for transcoding?

Thanks

Thanks for your replies, I will seek out a 1060 card. Is there a huge difference between 3GB and 6GB options. I see the 6GB has more CUDA cores, will this matter for transcoding?

Thanks

Simply, "Yes".

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk