specify a specific trailer/pre-roll before movie/per movie

psybertech

psybertech

OK, I think this could be fun and nothing else really.

It would take a user a lot to actually implement, but in the end, I think it could be great.

The idea is to be able to add a custom picked trailer/clip/intro/whatever in the movie folder, named in a specific way (i.e. movie_name_(1999)-preroll.ext), that would then automatically play at the start of that movie if you enable this 'feature'.

The concept is to find a great trailer for a movie and be able to force it to play before the start of a specific movie. It should auto-add to the queue and can be skipped if really desired.

There are a few reasons/use cases I can think of... a quick way to hit play and see the trailer for the movie you are thinking about and have a chance to decide to continue to watch it or maybe not (less clicks than choosing a trailer which may not be the best random one)... or, just a way to start the movie and get in the mood to see it or even give you a minute or two to get comfy... or show a different kind of intro and set a different mood completely. The sky is the limit really.

You could use a stock old HBO intro, or some fun Netflix or Youtube intro animation, a 'lets all go to the lobby', or a random news or SNL clip about the upcoming movie... or whatever you want... But with time and patience of the user, I just think it could be really fun to have.

And yes, this is different than the random trailers/intros we have already. It would be customized per movie and yes, a lot of user work and not automated. Just a naming convention and a ton of time for the users.

This obviously only impacts local trailers/pre-rolls.  Not a full fledged plugin with youtube or anything.

And, super bonus expanded request... post-roll.... same idea, but have the ability to add a trailer/clip at the end.. think of a trilogy... have a trailer for the next movie start at the end of the movie as a teaser. :)

Anyway... just drinking and thinking....... nothing to see here really.. move along....  :ph34r:

cheers!

j

• Like 1

Hi, you can actually already do this with cinema intros by tags. It might not be as elegant as what you're asking, but it will work and would allow you to use the same pre-roll with multiple videos.

PuffyToesToo

Yes, this is the same as my request for custom intros by library type! I have not had any luck using tags to do this however. Is there a wiki that could help me out?

PuffyToesToo

OK, I was successful in using the tag option to trigger the playing of a specific intro, but with one problem.  

Let's say I have 'Intro 1' for movies under Custom Intros Path. Then under Codec Intros Path I have 'Intro 2' which I've applied for all movies tagged with 'xmas'. Emby plays both of them for xmas movies. What I was hoping for was for 'Intro 2' to be applied to xmas content only, without playing Intro 1.  Am I missing something?

psybertech

Hi, you can actually already do this with cinema intros by tags. It might not be as elegant as what you're asking, but it will work and would allow you to use the same pre-roll with multiple videos.

Wow, thanks!

I've used the codecs intros before but the novelty wore off fast for every movie and I never noticed the tags feature.

But that custom tag option is exactly what I want for the pre-roll!

A quick test with a 'next up on HBO World TV Premiere for Star Wars' worked awesome!

Now to take the time and do it for all Star Wars, Trek, Potter and the MCU to start. :D

Now... post-movie clips?? ;):P

Thanks again!

j

• Like 1

PuffyToesToo

You have to tag all the movies the same way you tag the intro.

Yes, to be more specific - the intro is titled 'Christmas', and the tag value added to those movies is also 'Christmas'. Are you saying I need to add a tag value to the intro itself on top of the actual filename? If so, how can I add a tag value to an intro? I am unaware of anywhere within Emby where I can access the Intros and edit their metadata. Thank you.

Guest asrequested

Yes, to be more specific - the intro is titled 'Christmas', and the tag value added to those movies is also 'Christmas'. Are you saying I need to add a tag value to the intro itself on top of the actual filename? If so, how can I add a tag value to an intro? I am unaware of anywhere within Emby where I can access the Intros and edit their metadata. Thank you.

Yes, you need to tag the intro video, too. You'll either have to use a third party to tag them, or as I have done, create a library for the intros and tag them in that. I actually made a library for my intros to be able to test them in emby players without needing to use cinema mode. Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

psybertech

Since this is moving towards the custom intros with tags convo...

I have been successfull with adding one tag and it will play fine.

I do NOT use the codec intros.

I do NOT use the trailers.

My goal is to use this to only use a tag to call a specific video to be played before.

THAT is working fine using one tag per movie.  :D

However, is there a way to add two or more tags and have them all play?

i.e. If I add tags like:

1-SWESB-TRAILER

2-HBO-INTRO

to one movie, and name my custom video files the same, it will only play one or the other (random choice?).
I can't seem to get ti to play both files.

My goal is to use the alpha/numeric naming to play both in the order shown above.

But so far, no luck.

I take it multiple tags is not supported?

Not a big deal if it isn't, but I figured I'd have to ask.

Thanks!

This is fun! haha

j

PuffyToesToo

Ok, thank you. I assume this is the missing piece of the puzzle for me. I'll give that a go, and thank you for helping me out. :) 

Yes, you need to tag the intro video, too. You'll either have to use a third party to tag them, or as I have done, create a library for the intros and tag them in that. I actually made a library for my intros to be able to test them in emby players without needing to use cinema mode.

I want to document this in the wiki but can't seem to get this to work on my system.

I have both a custom intro and custom codec folder setup.

I move an mp4 to each of those folder and added a tag to it.

I'll modify a movie and put in a custom tag. I've tried "Test1" as well as the actual intro file name.

This doesn't seem to work for me as I keep getting an internet cinema intro playing.

Ideas?

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

It shouldn't stop the cinema trailers. This is just a workaround to play a specific intro with a certain genre of movie. When I enable this, I get a codec intro, a custom intro and trailers. All the tagging does is choose a custom intro.

Playing with this a bit more I did get my custom intro to play but it followed an internet trailer.  So I've got it sort of working now and just need to select proper options.

@@Luke, what would be extremely useful is the ability to not only specify number of cinama intros to play but to order them.  So for example if you only have one selected it could come from: Custom intros path, Codec intros path, local or internet trailers in the order specified.  This way if only 1 intro is set to play it could be a custom one over an normal trailer, etc...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...