DS118 + LG OLED B9 + 4k HDR content transcoding issue

fisha
Go to solution Solved by rbjtech,

Hi all!

I have a Synology DS118 NAS and an LG B9 Oled TV. Emby works fine, but I can't play 4k contents with it. It always tries to transcode, but obviosly my NAS doesn't have enough power for this. I tried to set every network bandwith to the maximum in the client, but the result is the same: NAS killed by this overhelming task. Meanwhile the built in player plays this video fine. What is the problem? How can I avoid transcoding?

Logs attached.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Fisha

Video details:

Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration : 54 min 28 s
Bit rate : 43.9 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.221
Stream size : 16.7 GiB (95%)
Title : MPEG-H HEVC Video / 43921 kbps / 2160p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / Main 10 @ Level 5.1 @ High / 10 bits / HDR10 / BT.2020
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : PQ
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries : Display P3
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 4000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level : 1962 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level : 227 cd/m2

ffmpeg-transcode-4cfe4797-1ef2-4631-9690-623863927556_1.txt

Hi, the best thing to do would be to play with an emby app that can direct play this file without transcoding.

What devices would you like to play from?

• Solution
rbjtech

I assume from the log you are trying to play internal PGS subtitles - if yes, THIS is what is forcing the transcode.

You'll need to get external .SRT subtitles - name it exactly the same as the video file with a .srt extension - and then choose 'External/SRT' subs from the playback menu.

The LG App plays 4K HDR perfectly using Directplay if you use external SRT files (native support). 

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

Jeez. You are a god. Thank you very much. It works.

I assume from the log you are trying to play internal PGS subtitles - if yes, THIS is what is forcing the transcode.

You'll need to get external .SRT subtitles - name it exactly the same as the video file with a .srt extension - and then choose 'External/SRT' subs from the playback menu.

The LG App plays 4K HDR perfectly using Directplay if you use external SRT files (native support). 

• Like 1

In the interests of self service, the stats feature inside the video player will tell you why it's transcoding.

Thank you. I will observe it next time.

In the interests of self service, the stats feature inside the video player will tell you why it's transcoding.

Is it possible to develop a never transcode flag? Using emby on an entry level NAS transcode is never an option. An error message would be much more useful instead of killing my Synology every time I make a wrong click... :(

Edited by fisha

FrostByte

Is it possible to develop a never transcode flag? Using emby on an entry level NAS transcode is never an option. An error message would be much more useful instead of killing my Synology every time I make a wrong click... :(

You can turn off most of the transcoding on the server

I almost always remux my videos before adding to Emby, remove any image based subtitle streams. For things I care most about, I'll also usually mux the .srt subtitles into the container. I use SubEdit to convert the image based subtitles to .srt, it's not perfect, and it takes some time, but it works. This is obviously more involved than just downloading the .srt file and putting it into the directory with the video file.