Book server/reader incorporation : suggestion

lexisdude

• 3 weeks later...
negativzeroe

@@Luke is this planned for v4? This is really the last thing I'm waiting on for premiere because I recall lifetime only supports current and next full version number and didn't want it to happen to land in v6. That would be a spot of bad luck.

We'll get to book support as soon as we can, but you can probably guess, supporting our existing media formats comes first.

• 1 month later...
miniliQuid

Had added my vote cause I really think ebooks should get some love as well :D

Surprised me it gets so few upvotes though :(

Edited by miniliQuid
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

Dibbes

Had added my vote cause I really think ebooks should get some love as well :D

Surprised me it gets so few upvotes though :(

That is mainly because there have been lots of topics for this... do a quick search and you'll find a whole list... Same goes for Audiobooks...

Edited by Dibbes

miniliQuid

That is mainly because there have been lots of topics for this... do a quick search and you'll find a whole list... Same goes for Audiobooks...

Managed to find a few yeah, but picked this one to add my vote to as it already had the most votes (from the ones I found that is).

• 10 months later...

Emby definitely needs booker reader functionality, cataloging books without the ability to read them within the app is just pointless. I would like to see this added when possible

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

K1ng_Lear

I would love this feature, too. 

On the other hand I run my Calibre in a docker container on my Syno and this is very convenient.

• 4 weeks later...
Jbbrack03

I've also been using Ubooquity to KOreader on my Kindle. So it's really only running as OPDS library. It would be really cool if Emby could host OPDS and also have some sort of sync function. If this gets implemented, I could also move away from running multiple servers. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
tfarrell
On 2/29/2020 at 3:00 PM, Dibbes said:

I would think the fact that there are lots of topics on this would be indicative that users care about this issue.

• Like 1

Just now, tfarrell said:

I would think the fact that there are lots of topics on this would be indicative that users care about this issue.

Hi, we agree, it's just that right now there are more users who care about video, audio, photos and live tv, so that's where we are currently keeping our focus on.

tfarrell
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Hi, we agree, it's just that right now there are more users who care about video, audio, photos and live tv, so that's where we are currently keeping our focus on.

I certainly agree that audio and video are more important than ebooks, given that audio and video are what Emby is all about.

That said, audio and video work perfectly for me and for many users, so if I were the project manager my thought would be that this is a good time to give a little love to other functionality. (Honestly, I don't care about live TV. I don't use it and don't intend to. I don't know if I'm odd in that regard or not, but when I turn on the TV I am far more likely to watch Emby than CNN.) The 3 areas of functionality I see that aren't entirely up to snuff from my perspective are books, video games, and remote use of Emby. I'm not quite sure how video games would work and I'm not sure Emby can do much about remote use given that Emby doesn't control the Internet router or firewall, so that leaves books. (I suspect Photos could use a little love too, but it works and I haven't paid a lot of attention to how it could be improved.) 

I am presently trying to group many ebooks into a collection with the related videos.

In Calibre it's very easy for me to search the books, they're grouped as a "Series" of the collection name I am filling, so I can search on the series name in Calibre and I get them all. Emby doesn't integrate with Calibre, so when I search for them in Emby I don't get most of the books, because Emby only looks at the title, so I have to search up each book separately in Emby and add it to the collection.

Another problem I am having is that Emby is pointed at my Calibre collection, and in cases where Calibre has more than one format of the book (most of my ebooks, because Calibre does conversions and I've changed reader devices several times over the years) Emby doesn't recognize that the ebooks have a cover image (even though it's in the folder with the name "cover.jpg") so either I have to manually add the cover to the books or delete formats I'm not using at the moment. I see this as a bug.

Also while Emby allows you to group videos (for example) together when you have more than one copy of the same video (for example, The Avengers in 720p, 1080p, and 3D could be listed as one item with one poster), when you have more than one version of an ebook, all versions are listed separately and you can't group them. As I have up to 5 different versions of some books (and most of my ebooks are in multiple formats), my ebook collection looks very cluttered (and mostly without covers, although mostly they're there) in Emby. 

Here's my perspective: When I am at the TV, I choose to use Emby. When I am sitting at my server (which, being a normal person, is my desktop), I find the video or audio in the file structure and watch it with VLC, find the photo and open it with Windows Photos, and use Calibre for my ebooks. I would like Emby to be good enough that when I'm at my server I don't find it easier to go into the file system, find the file, and use a specialized program on it.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
JuJuJurassic

Any update on this? Given there are a few freebie reading solutions emby could link into.

I can visualise a scenario such as.....get up, put the news on the emby tune in plug in, it finishes, so you then put some music on, via emby and read the paper on your tablet, via emby.

Then emby would be a complete solution.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JuJuJurassic said:

Any update on this? Given there are a few freebie reading solutions emby could link into.

I can visualise a scenario such as.....get up, put the news on the emby tune in plug in, it finishes, so you then put some music on, via emby and read the paper on your tablet, via emby.

Then emby would be a complete solution.

Hi, not yet, sorry.

Guest EmbyEbookReader

Hi, there are alot of Emby users waiting for years for Ebook reader and comic book (PDF, CBZ, CBR) functionality... this is way overdue... "Sorry not yet" is really EXTREMELY LAME SOUNDING lame at this point (years after the feature was requested).  When is this getting released.  Who is working on it , what is the timeline, what release version number will have it? , I am willing to PAY or CONTRIBUTE for this software functionality.  I am willing to work as a ALPHA OR BETA TESTER.  come on guys.

JuJuJurassic

Hey Luke, want some pocket money 🙂

Actually is there a way of people like "EmbyEbookReader" getting in contact with some Dev's and asking them to create a plug in?

thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Music100

I support the suggestions to build this feature into EMBY.  It would be very valuable. 

With most music albums offered in a digital format along with digital PDF booklets, it would be nice to have a program that could both play the music and display the booklet about the music right there on the same page (rather than have to download the PDF booklet from a separate EMBY PDF library).

And books, of course.

Getting a reader function implemented has an additional perk for the developers since it could give EMBY a competitive edge on similar media servers.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I think Emby is 90% there. We can already browse a library of books (as has been mentioned); we only lack the integrated reader for playback.

Any thought to:

Option 1. Integrating opensource readers. 

Option 2. Integrating a general "play with" feature to allow us to link our own apps/programs to play unrecognized formats. This would remove the management (for Emby developers) to integrate new formats. (If this is already possible, sorry, I missed it.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Uuugh said:

I think Emby is 90% there. We can already browse a library of books (as has been mentioned); we only lack the integrated reader for playback.

Any thought to:

Option 1. Integrating opensource readers. 

Option 2. Integrating a general "play with" feature to allow us to link our own apps/programs to play unrecognized formats. This would remove the management (for Emby developers) to integrate new formats. (If this is already possible, sorry, I missed it.)

Yea koodo looks interesting. But actually that's an entire application, so embedding just the reader might not be possible.

• Like 1