Book server/reader incorporation : suggestion

lexisdude

I agree. There would be bloat integrating all of Kooder-Reader.

I thought perhaps the reader(s) (w/multiple format support) could be found from the Kooder-Reader project. The GitHub seems fairly well organized. I see the project uses pdfjs-dist (from a quick inspection). I didn't find the utility for mobirender yet.

Bibi might not be as format-supportive, but the license might make it easier to include.

This might not be the end-all that people would like, but as I said, EMBY's Library system is already pretty awesome. I appreciate that you have other areas to focus on. I think concentrating on viewers only (vs meta-editing and sorting) would be a major win. Other features could come later (but will we ever truly be satisfied 😉 )

• 4 weeks later...

+1 for this, since the movie and tv library is stable enough, it would be great to go to this section as well (basic e-reader is fine too, as long you can read without problem)

currently i'm using this https://github.com/janeczku/calibre-web (and can be used via opds as well for other apps to grab the book)

but the problem is, this one kinda dont have progress tracking, it would be great addition for emby if you can manage to achieve this, and also it would be big plus, since AFAIK

currently for cross multi platform e-reader (epub) is only pocketreader atm, and only that alone that has progress sync, across ios and android (CMIIW), and it has quite issue as well in ipad 😢

• 2 months later...
shannonlong
On 12/14/2019 at 4:27 PM, Luke said:

Hi, yes hopefully we'll be able to do this in the not too distant future. Thanks

Hi a couple years on from this comment, Is this something you still plan on doing?

10 hours ago, shannonlong said:

Hi a couple years on from this comment, Is this something you still plan on doing?

Hi, yes it is.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Staatsfeind
Hello Emby,

First of all, I'm excited for you. I have searched and tested many programs

- Live TV
- Series
- movies
- music
- eBooks

play. Everything works GREAT except for the eBook Reader!

I have tested many programs but EMBY IS THE BEST! Keep it up!

Now some questions for you about the eBook Reader.

1. All functions work fine. How much does it cost you to program the eBook Reader? Maybe you can collect donations in this way and you would stand out significantly from the competition.
2. Which programming language does the programmer have to know to program a plugin. You could outsource it and have a user program the plugin externally.

You must implement the function as soon as possible. That would make it the PERFECT program. It's enough just that you can read it, without all the frills.

It's also a win for you if you offer something like this and the competition doesn't. I mean, all other functions work yes.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
nweishar

Really hoping this functionality comes soon. Its the biggest glaring whole in my media server currently. Thanks for the ongoing development/support guys!

• Thanks 1

Gswim1036

Just to keep this  topic going, I too have been waiting for years for the ability to view PDF/EPUB via my emby without just downloading the file. It seems from viewing forum feeds that there is definitely enough support for this project.  Emby is the best and believe this would make it a complete media server.  TKS

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
sydlexius

I'd love to see something like this, but for my use case this is a challenging puzzle to crack.  The first is the metadata issue.  There is no single authoritative source for ebooks, comics, manga, etc.  There are third party tools such as Comicrack and Calibre that are quite good at what they do...the former even does a great job at prepping Comics to be used with other solutions (Komga, etc.).  Calibre can be very good at what it does, however it doesn't want to play nice with other solutions (without tweaking).  Neither are the easiest to automate.  None of these solutions leverage APIs that developers could leverage their own API Keys with.

If the developers could somehow address these issues, then the remaining challenges will be comparably easier (there are existing book readers they could leverage, and synchronizing notes, state, and bookmarks is probably not horrific).

My current solutions are less than ideal.  For comics, I use Tachiyomi that syncs up with Komga, which gets its metadata by way of Comicrack.  For ebooks I'm currently using Moon Reader+ that syncs state to gdrive and pulls books from Calibre-Web, which gets its metadata via Calibre.  All of this is high touch, convoluted, and has mediocre usability.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Riezel
On 6/13/2023 at 6:54 AM, sydlexius said:

I'd love to see something like this, but for my use case this is a challenging puzzle to crack.  The first is the metadata issue.  There is no single authoritative source for ebooks, comics, manga, etc.  There are third party tools such as Comicrack and Calibre that are quite good at what they do...the former even does a great job at prepping Comics to be used with other solutions (Komga, etc.).  Calibre can be very good at what it does, however it doesn't want to play nice with other solutions (without tweaking).  Neither are the easiest to automate.  None of these solutions leverage APIs that developers could leverage their own API Keys with.

If the developers could somehow address these issues, then the remaining challenges will be comparably easier (there are existing book readers they could leverage, and synchronizing notes, state, and bookmarks is probably not horrific).

My current solutions are less than ideal.  For comics, I use Tachiyomi that syncs up with Komga, which gets its metadata by way of Comicrack.  For ebooks I'm currently using Moon Reader+ that syncs state to gdrive and pulls books from Calibre-Web, which gets its metadata via Calibre.  All of this is high touch, convoluted, and has mediocre usability.

i was used to this kind of solution as well (minus komga) but since i'm using ipad atm it's bothersome due moon reader+ not available there, as per metadata ones, i think it's fine with calibre (for novel) and export it (with files that embed metadata on the files) there goes for meta data issue 

what i would like to see first is just the reader function, its fine without metadata as per early version, since technically you can go download from emby server (few past month i checked), it just simply download them, without getting the actual file exported into our device (probably encrypted like the video files), since we cant even read them on the fly, but if they implement it for reader only, it's fine as it is, even without meta data problem fixed (for early version)

also side note, i'm using pocket reader for cross platform novel read (apple / android), but recently i changed them into calibre-web now 🤣

• 1 month later...
Guest EmbyEbookReader

Need comic book (cbz, cbr) reader functionality built in, this has been requested since 10 years ago, people went to the moon in less time than that.  Ridiculous 

cjlong45
10 hours ago, EmbyEbookReader said:

Need comic book (cbz, cbr) reader functionality built in, this has been requested since 10 years ago, people went to the moon in less time than that.  Ridiculous 

we will go to mars before they implement this unfortunately

JuJuJurassic

Greetings Earthling, this is your Martian developer. We are still waiting and subcontracting it to our  Neptune developers.

• Haha 1

chrypox

Hello, like many others, I would be interested in the possibility of reading Ebooks via Emby, which would allow me to use a single application for Videos, Music, Audio Book and Ebook.

I'm not a programmer, so I don't know how it could be done, but I saw on some messages that some people knew something about it, so I take the liberty of putting some clues because already existing systems.

Recherche de livres sur le Web avec Google

Récupérer les informations du livre à partir de l'ISBN

12 API de livres essentiels pour 2023

Developer Center / API / Livres API

Let's hope it helps and moves the project forward.

Edited by chrypox
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Dearly beloved, I am a loyal user of Emby, which I have been using for years on my Terramaster nas with great satisfaction.
Recently, however, I started to include an audiobook section and realized that Emby handles them as if they were actually records of music.
So I would like to propose to the authors of this magnificent software to devise a dedicated audiobook management and a book management based on the characteristics of a book rather than a disc.

Sort of like Calibre does, for instance. And it would be important to be able to use a specialized metadata search engine on books when making the association, like GoodReads, Anobii and the like (Calibre and its plugins can be a great source of inspiration).

Your first promise to implement these features was in 2019. It would be nice if you put together a team of programmers dedicated to this project, which would make Emby definitely superior to Plex ;)

Thanks

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1