AAC LC transcoding on Firefox but not on Safari

heimer

Hi,

I recently discovered that the content encoded with AAC LC audio doesn't direct play through Firefox even though it's a very compatible codec. I get No compatible streams are currently available. Please try again later or contact your system administrator for details. Safari works fine, no errors there.

I've attached embyserver and transcoding logs. I'm happy to provide more info if necessary!

macOS Catalina 10.15.1

Firefox 71.0

Safari 13.0.3

Edit: safari works

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-directstream-50cbbcd8-71f8-4db2-b242-36ce01c09f98_1.txt

ffmpeg-directstream-06b86afc-0191-4f8c-8a74-41e30d4cfd2e_1.txt

Edited by Mannerheim

Hi there, did you check the stats feature inside the video player to learn why it wasn't direct playing?

Not possible as it doesn't play at all. But for you I again enabled audio transcoding for my user to take a screenshot of the stats for nerds on firefox.

5df446446c7e9_Screenshot20191214at41534.

Well the answer is it tried to direct play but the Firefox video player raised an error with the file. Then we tried to automatically switch to other methods of playing but those had problems too due to the fact that you've restricted transcoding access.

Well the answer is it tried to direct play but the Firefox video player raised an error with the file. Then we tried to automatically switch to other methods of playing but those had problems too due to the fact that you've restricted transcoding access.

Alright, any ideas why direct playing the file works in Safari? The issue only occurs with Firefox

Happy2Play

They are two different products that builder their browsers in their own way.  Only they can answer that question.

Unfortunately the error codes they give us are very vague. Media decode error is as specific as we get from the browser video player.

They are two different products that builder their browsers in their own way.  Only they can answer that question.

Alright, this is what I was looking for. I'll report this to mozilla.

Happy2Play

I would assume you would get this response.

As a patent-encumbered format, AAC support is somewhat less predictable. For example, Firefox only supports AAC if support is provided by the operating system or an external library.
Due to patent issues, Firefox does not directly support AAC. Instead, Firefox relies upon a platform's native support for AAC. This capability was introduced on each platform in different Firefox releases:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Media/Formats/Audio_codecs

What does html5test.com show in Firefox?