Nginx office raid

darkassassin07

darkassassin07

So I came across This just now....

It seems the russian company Rambler is claiming copyright ownership over nginxs source code, and has managed to get the russian police to raid their offices.

Not certain what this means for those of us that use nginx, but I figured I'd share.

/edit:

Here's an article with more details in English:

https://m.habr.com/en/post/479968/

Notably:

"The rights to the Nginx web server belong to Rambler Internet Holding. Nginx is a proprietary creation Igor Sysoev has developed as part of his employment with Rambler since the early 2000s, so any use of the program without the permission of the Rambler Group is a violation of an exclusive right.

Rambler Group's press office for Kommersant"

Edited by darkassassin07

mastrmind11

@@pir8radio, do you know if this affects the ones using nginx as reverse proxy in any way?

i mean, if you have it installed, it's not like they can uninstall it from your box.  if they un-foss'd it, as long as you're not a commercial entity they won't be able to come after you.  so, in short, this will have zero effect on us.

• Like 1

mastrmind11

so don't update.  it works great in its current state, I see no reason to ever update it unless maybe TSL is cracked, but then we have bigger issues than our personal media servers.

darkassassin07

While it's not currently an issue for already-running systems, future installs and updates are going to become problematic.

I don't plan on making any major changes to my own setup for the time being, but I'll definitely want to keep an eye on this and possibly look into alternatives later down the road.

Emby/plex + nginx have been my first explorations into running a server, aside from srcds (gmod) like a decade ago. I've heard a little about Apache, but I'll get there when I get there.

Edited by darkassassin07

Spaceboy

I disagree because this just sounds like a attempt at a scam by the Russians to me.

The installation files will continue to be available elsewhere.

The legal situation will be resolved soon.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

pir8radio

yea I'm with Spaceboy, nginx is embedded everywhere...   Cloudflare, most major web sites.  This probably spawned from the fact that Nginx just became the top web server this year, most people are switching from others to nginx.   https://news.netcraft.com/archives/category/web-server-survey/

5df57ecfdf57c_Untitled.png