Can Emby operate as a DLNA client (renderer)?

123mb

Here's what I'd like to achieve:

Using Emby's browser UI on my phone, I want to select an album and play it on the machine hosting Emby (which has a sound card and external speakers). In other words, I'm only using my phone to select tunes but want them played on the Windows PC hosting Emby.

The way I've been able to do that now is by running an instance of Windows Media Player on the host machine. This makes it visible as a DLNA renderer (client). From my phone, Emby's browser UI recognizes Windows Media Player as a target for casting; I can cast the selected music to Windows Media Player (and the sound emerges from the speakers connected to the host machine).

It works but it's not ideal. To have Windows Media Player operate as a renderer/client, it must run as an application and not a Windows Service. Therefore the host machine needs to have an active user session with an open instance of Windows Media Player. If for whatever reason the app is closed or the user session is logged out, the DLNA renderer ceases to exist and I can no longer cast to it.

Ideally, Emby itself would appear as a DLNA renderer/client for the host machine and I could cast to it. It appears this is not currently possible but maybe I just don't know how to do configure it properly.

If it is truly not possible, then I'm open to suggestions on how to play music on the host machine. Perhaps there's an available Windows DLNA client that can run as a service?

Edited by 123mb

Thanks for your prompt reply.

OK, so at the current moment to solution is to run a DLNA client on Emby's host machine so that Emby can cast to it. The challenge now is to find a DLNA client that can run as a service.