Emby Theater for Mac

thura10

tigrao
6 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, which screensaver?

The operating system screen saver as set in the macOS system preferences.  On Windows the screen saver and monitor power saving settings are disabled while watching content with Emby Theater.  On macOS these settings are not disabled.  Video playback continues but behind the screen saver.

• 2 weeks later...
peanut369

Hi there,

I have Emby Theatre running perfect on a 2012 MacBook Pro.

But, on my Mac mini 2018 (high spec) connected to a 4k monitor the FPS is really bad.  If I resize the Emby app window to something small then the FPS comes back to normal, but as soon as I enlarge or go full screen then the FPS lags big time again.

Anyone else finding this too?

Thanks

I don't have a Mac but can understand how/why this could happen.  You have a lot more pixels to update in 4K vs 1080 mode.

For those that will be able to help you @peanut369 what version do you have installed?

Are you playing back 1080 or 4K material when this happens?  What kind of FPS do you see between windowed and full screen?

On 8/19/2020 at 1:09 AM, tigrao said:

The operating system screen saver as set in the macOS system preferences.  On Windows the screen saver and monitor power saving settings are disabled while watching content with Emby Theater.  On macOS these settings are not disabled.  Video playback continues but behind the screen saver.

The system screensaver issue is resolved for the next update to the app. Thanks.

sooty234
22 hours ago, peanut369 said:

Hi there,

I have Emby Theatre running perfect on a 2012 MacBook Pro.

But, on my Mac mini 2018 (high spec) connected to a 4k monitor the FPS is really bad.  If I resize the Emby app window to something small then the FPS comes back to normal, but as soon as I enlarge or go full screen then the FPS lags big time again.

Anyone else finding this too?

Thanks

What is the stats for nerds telling you? Post a screenshot of them.

peanut369
43 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

What is the stats for nerds telling you? Post a screenshot of them.

Thanks.  It's just a regular 1080p movie. But it's the whole app itself that lags. 
When windowed, the FPS is indistinguishable from the average 24fps.  But when it's maximized the FPS feels like 5 FPS.  

I'm not sure the nerdy stats will help too much, because it's the complete interface that lags, even when a movie isn't played.  I wonder if it's because it's a native iOS app that's being used on a Mac?

Screenshot 2020-09-02 at 20.50.42 copy.png

sooty234

They aren't using all of the information available to them. What a pity. The stats are useless. But from what you're saying, it's the UI software that's having the problem. The devs will have to look at that. 

4 hours ago, sooty234 said:

They aren't using all of the information available to them. What a pity. The stats are useless. But from what you're saying, it's the UI software that's having the problem. The devs will have to look at that. 

We haven't yet integrated mpv data into stats for nerds with this app, but we'll get there.

peanut369

Hope you dont mind me mentioning just a couple of things I noted.

- The screen dims after say 15-20 minutes (I assume depending on energy saver settings in MacOS) and so you have to move the mouse to wake it back up

- The mouse is visible all the time even in full screen

Thanks again

11 hours ago, peanut369 said:

Hope you dont mind me mentioning just a couple of things I noted.

- The screen dims after say 15-20 minutes (I assume depending on energy saver settings in MacOS) and so you have to move the mouse to wake it back up

- The mouse is visible all the time even in full screen

Thanks again

Thanks for reporting. We'll take a look.

• 2 months later...
jmos1277

Just started playing around with Emby Theater for macOS and have a few questions/comments.

1) I'd like to be able to control Emby Theater with a remote control. Currently, I'm just attempting to use my keyboard.  However, there doesn't currently appear to be any visual indicator as to which item is selected.  In fact, controlling the interface with the keyboard is a bit awkward.  Am I missing a setting somewhere?  Without keyboard support, I don't suspect I'll be able to get a remote working either.

2) On macOS Catalina, I get some really odd (app breaking) behavior when I attempt to browse the settings menus.  When I select the gear icon (with my mouse) and then attempt to edit ANY setting with a drop-down box the app breaks.  For example, if I go to the "Transcoding" setting and select the drop-down box for "Enable hardware acceleration when available", the options ("Yes", "No", "Advanced") continually flash and then immediately disappear.  This goes on forever.  If I click somewhere else on the UI quickly enough I can deselect the box and get it to stop flashing.  Otherwise, it will flash forever.  I've made a short recording and attached to show this odd behavior.  In the video, I'm able to get the menu to disappear by repeatedly clicking in the empty space on the right.

On 11/6/2020 at 8:21 PM, jmos1277 said:

Just started playing around with Emby Theater for macOS and have a few questions/comments.

1) I'd like to be able to control Emby Theater with a remote control. Currently, I'm just attempting to use my keyboard.  However, there doesn't currently appear to be any visual indicator as to which item is selected.  In fact, controlling the interface with the keyboard is a bit awkward.  Am I missing a setting somewhere?  Without keyboard support, I don't suspect I'll be able to get a remote working either.

2) On macOS Catalina, I get some really odd (app breaking) behavior when I attempt to browse the settings menus.  When I select the gear icon (with my mouse) and then attempt to edit ANY setting with a drop-down box the app breaks.  For example, if I go to the "Transcoding" setting and select the drop-down box for "Enable hardware acceleration when available", the options ("Yes", "No", "Advanced") continually flash and then immediately disappear.  This goes on forever.  If I click somewhere else on the UI quickly enough I can deselect the box and get it to stop flashing.  Otherwise, it will flash forever.  I've made a short recording and attached to show this odd behavior.  In the video, I'm able to get the menu to disappear by repeatedly clicking in the empty space on the right.

Screen Recording 2020-11-06 at 8.18.35 PM.mov

Hi, we're looking into this. Thanks for reporting.