Question about ExoPlayer

aahmyu

Hello,

Yesterday ExoPlayer released a new version that fixes SSA overlapping texts and supports positions.

https://github.com/google/ExoPlayer/blob/release-v2/RELEASENOTES.md#2110-2019-12-11

Just wondering if we the android tv app will get updated soon with this version.

If this feature works correctly there will be no reason to transcode this kind of subtitle.

Regards

• Like 2

Hi.  We will check it out but it looks like that still doesn't support full formatting so won't completely negate the need for burn in in all cases.

Indeed it doesn't completely fix the formatting issue. But it is an improvement and will fix the overlapping texts which is the biggest reason for me to transcode anyway.

Hi.  Since they have made breaking changes to their interfaces in this version, I will need to wait for Amazon to catch up with their port.  Usually that only takes a few weeks.

Thanks.

Hi. Since they have made breaking changes to their interfaces in this version, I will need to wait for Amazon to catch up with their port. Usually that only takes a few weeks.

Thanks.

No worries, and thanks for getting back to me :)

Hi, Will this update fix so ass subtitles doesn't cause transcoding? :huh: The reason for using ass subtitles is that I like to have a grey background on my subtitles.

Hi, Will this update fix so ass subtitles doesn't cause transcoding? :huh: The reason for using ass subtitles is that I like to have a grey background on my subtitles.

Hi.  They don't cause transcoding now unless you enable the option in the app to force them to.

But, as I pointed out earlier, this change only relates to position - not any other formatting.

O that's too bad, is there any plans of implementing full support for ass subtitles in the android tv client?(yes i have checked the box because I want to keep the ass styling, I cant see the subtitles if there isn't a grey background.)

Hi.  They don't cause transcoding now unless you enable the option in the app to force them to.

But, as I pointed out earlier, this change only relates to position - not any other formatting.