Artifacts with muxed audio on Shield

IceBoosteR

IceBoosteR

Hi there,

I might have an interesting problem which I would like to share with you. Maybe this is a bug or something, I will try to reproduce it in the next days.

Anyhow, so I've 4K video material converted into an MKV file. I've added another audio track to that particular file. While I watch this video with the two audio tracks with VLC, MPC-HD or with the Emby-Web-Browser everything is fine, all audio tracks are working great.

But while trying to watch this on my Shield I got a strange problem. The video is playing fine when using the default track. But when I swtich to the extra audio track which I have added, I do see a lot of artifacts (some green, some grey, around 1/4 of the whole screen) and the video gets kind of unplayable. I mean it's annoying to have those artifacts but the movie really "stucks" and then tries to continue running.

This is apearing on no particular timestamp really, so I thought it might be related to the player.

I've tried to upload a sample, but that would indicate I need to cut the file, where my video-editing-tool starts rendiering that video and it's no longer equal to that source.

@@ebr maybe this is something for you, let me know if I can help you with more information.

Cheers!

Edited by IceBoosteR

IceBoosteR

Hi all,

might be the case what vdatanet is describing.

I will try to upload the relevant data this evening. Tried it also with a different video and also with a different audio and it worked flawlessly. So I can assume that the process of "attaching" an audio track isn't the reason. I will do some more testing, will have a look into the "Stats for Nerds" to go find out any relevant change.

EDIT:

Ok found out the change and tested two individual video sources with different audio tracks. As long as the video and the audio uses "direct play" everything is fine. In that one particular case Emby started to transcode the video because there "are to much audio channels" or something like that. This sound interesting, I have a 5.1 setup but 7.1 sources does play "directly" without any issue.

Looked into the transcoding log (of course attached) this is the audio stream which is not working:

Stream #0:6(ger): Audio: eac3, 48000 Hz, 7.1, fltp

Emby on Shield is running the latest version available, Emby Server is running as docker container:

Application version: 4.3.0.30

Artifact is also attached (what you actually see on the screen). Maybe its interesting to know that the video itself is not "moving any more", so the content is frozen, but the artifacts are changing. Audio continues to play without an issue.

If there is anything else you need to know, lemme know.

Emby transcode log.txt

post-277621-0-42042000-1576186467_thumb.jpg

Edited by IceBoosteR

Guest asrequested

What do you mean?

If it is the issue mentioned above, it's because the remux container doesn't support HEVC. The issue is most prevalent in videos with deep color profiles, but not limited to. So when you test, compare HEVC videos to h264. If the issue exists with h264 then this is likely some other issue.

• Like 1

IceBoosteR

If it is the issue mentioned above, it's because the remux container doesn't support HEVC. The issue is most prevalent in videos with deep color profiles, but not limited to. So when you test, compare HEVC videos to h264. If the issue exists with h264 then this is likely some other issue.

Thank you! Will give it a try. But shouldn't the artifacts also appear on other players as well?

Guest asrequested

Thank you! Will give it a try. But shouldn't the artifacts also appear on other players as well?

Yes, if the same conditions are met. On the shield, the easiest way around this, is to let the app downmix the audio. It will always direct play. But if you're connected to an AVR, then you won't want that.

IceBoosteR

Yes, if the same conditions are met. On the shield, the easiest way around this, is to let the app downmix the audio. It will always direct play. But if you're connected to an AVR, then you won't want that.

Yes, its connected to a Denon AVR.

@@ebr ; @@Luke anything which you also need from my side?

Edited by IceBoosteR

The best thing you can do at this point is choose audio that is compatible with your system or use the "Playback Correction" feature to force the video to transcode.

vdatanet

I think the problem is with cropped videos. Most movies with green artifacts when remuxed are those that didn't trigger HDR in previous versions of Nvidia Shield firmware.

This one remuxes fine (without green artifacts):

5df906c71d1c0_ok.jpg

An this, It doesn't:

5df906e9df54d_non.jpg

Can you post media info of movies with green artifacts when remuxing?

Guest asrequested

And it isn't specific to HDR videos.

Note to Luke.

The info for HDR videos is a little off. Color primaries and color space are the same thing, and bt.2020-ncl/cl is the color matrix. 

5df9ac9c68d60_Annotation20191217193225.j

For the transfer, ffprobe isn't being specific enough (read wrong, in some cases). It might be easier to use PQ, if ffprobe isn't returning the specific profile.

5df9b36bdd813_Annotation20191217205426.j

And I think it would be helpful (if ffprobe will give it), to have the color level of the bit depth, too (L3, L4, L5 etc). These are what I believe is part of the problem with the color distortion and breakup.

• Like 1

vdatanet

For me, the only difference in my previous example is the enconding library.

This one has green artifacts when remuxing (Cropped and Reencoded):

Librería de codificación                 : x265 2.5+17-f8ae7afc1f61:[Windows][GCC 6.2.1]

This one, it doesn't (Full remux):

Librería de codificación                 : ATEME Titan File 3.9.0 (4.9.0.0)

Guest asrequested

It might just be a fluke. I imagine you're using hardware acceleration? Even though the GPU is hardly (if at all) being used, I imagine the implementation might be a little different. I use all software (CPU), and while I haven't tested all of them, I haven't found one that will escape this issue. That includes 4k 10bit SDR HEVC videos. That said, some are definitely worse than others. With 1080 HEVC stuff and lower, it almost always plays correctly. This is why I suspect the color depth is part of the puzzle, bandwidth is probably a factor, too.

• Like 1

We'll be updating our ExoPlayer library in the coming weeks so maybe we'll get some improvement from that.

• Like 2

IceBoosteR

Does your receiver not support the audio, or are you using the ARC?

Even if this question has been asked some days ago and I appreciate the ongoing conversation, I just wanted to reply to that one.

I have a fairly new Denon AVR, the AVX-2500H which supports all of the major sound formats. I think you might direct in the right corner, because I feel that the Shield itself does not support the audio codec to transcoding kicks in.

In my setup everything runs from the Shield via HDMI to the AVR which is going to play the audio and push the picture to my 4K TV. In the past year or so, I have rarely seen transcoding (or even none).

Just wanted to give my inout, without "disturbing" your ongoing chat.

However I did check the color profile, which is basically the same on both samples:

for reference:

Title4K HEVC

CodecHEVC

ProfileMain 10

Level153

Resolution3840x2160

Aspect ratio16:9

AnamorphicNo

InterlacedNo

Framerate23.976

Bitrate46,191 kbps

Video rangeHDR

Colour primariesbt2020

Colour spacebt2020nc

Colour transfersmpte2084

Pixel formatyuv420p10le

IceBoosteR

Ok here you go. I have tried to re-encode the audio track into different formats. I have chosen AAC as that one is working with the shield whithout any problem. I did not found the EAC soundtrack, but with FLAC the same behaviour occurs, thus I am uploading the remux log for the FLAC audio.

Hope it helps.

emby remux log.txt

Guest asrequested

Ok, so this is what was expected. The picture breaking up is because of this.

21:10:13.269 Stream mapping:
21:10:13.269   Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
21:10:13.269   Stream #0:4 -> #0:1 (flac (native) -> ac3 (native))

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/75688-4k-hevc-files-freeze-after-a-few-seconds/

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/75688-4k-hevc-files-freeze-after-a-few-seconds/?p=767887

Edited by Doofus