27 replies to this topic

#21 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3321 posts
  • Local time: 01:17 PM

Posted 12 December 2019 - 05:42 PM

Ordered the Elements.. basically $110 plus tax!

I'll report back on the contents.

I can still use the $10 Bestbuy GC for something else.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

#22 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 13578 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 05:43 PM

I love how you are spending a bunch of money :D
  • Sammy likes this

#23 lightsout OFFLINE  

lightsout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 06:00 PM

Smokin' deal!!! Let the spending continue!  :D

Edited by lightsout, 12 December 2019 - 06:00 PM.

• Sammy and Doofus like this

#24 Q-Droid OFFLINE  

Q-Droid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • Local time: 04:17 PM

Posted 12 December 2019 - 07:22 PM

Depend on the Seagate drive

shingled magnetic recording (SMR) was only in some USB and Drives that lable as Archive HDD there meant for long team storage only as in write once.

two-dimensional magnetic recording (TDMR) is found in the Barracudas and Ironwolves and other line under 12TB

heat-assisted magnetic recording (HAMR) 12TB and higher

This is true (TDMR,HAMR) for the pro and enterprise models. But their higher capacity desktop and external models that run at lower RPMs, including Barracuda, have been using SMR. It's getting harder to find Seagate docs with this info and they've shifted to stating TGMR as the recording tech. If you find older datasheets for the same models they do include mention of SMR. 

Edited by Q-Droid, 12 December 2019 - 07:36 PM.

#25 SHSPVR OFFLINE  

SHSPVR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 748 posts
  • Local time: 03:17 PM
  • LocationVinita, Oklahoma

Posted 12 December 2019 - 07:43 PM

This is true (TMDR,HAMR) for the pro and enterprise models. But their higher capacity desktop and external models that run at lower RPMs, including Barracuda, have been using SMR. It's getting harder to find Seagate docs with this info and they've shifted to stating TGMR as the recording tech. If you find older datasheets for the same models they do include mention of SMR. 

Unless there a reason for high speed 7200rpm drive which mainly games loading there really need even a stock 5400rpm drive can easy push 16 HD steam of 8mb/sec at ocen.

It not hard if no where to look see page 6

https://www.seagate..../100805918g.pdf

As long time seagate user all way to 80's all one has to do call them and ask and I usually run them for 5 years 24/7 then update them make old one's as backup storage drive in fact I have upgrade to 8TB as I still got a few more to go on emby server

#26 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3321 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 09:18 PM

According to CPUID's Hardware monitor the drive inside is a western digital wd8emaz-00wjta0. I still haven't cracked the case.

Question, I want to move the contents of four 2Tb drives to this drive but the 2TB drives are in a Pool using DrivePool which Emby's libraries are pointed to. If I take them out of the pool, how will Emby find the contents? I do plan on putting this drive back into the pool when the transfers are complete.

Additional note, this pool exists on my old i5 4690k but the contents, once transferred to the 8Tb drive will be in the pool on my new Rizen 3700x. Issues?

#27 lightsout OFFLINE  

lightsout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 01:22 PM

According to CPUID's Hardware monitor the drive inside is a western digital wd8emaz-00wjta0. I still haven't cracked the case.

Question, I want to move the contents of four 2Tb drives to this drive but the 2TB drives are in a Pool using DrivePool which Emby's libraries are pointed to. If I take them out of the pool, how will Emby find the contents? I do plan on putting this drive back into the pool when the transfers are complete.

Additional note, this pool exists on my old i5 4690k but the contents, once transferred to the 8Tb drive will be in the pool on my new Rizen 3700x. Issues?

Just copy it over and point Emby to the new share. Should be pretty straight forward.

#28 Dibbes OFFLINE  

Dibbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1042 posts
  • Local time: 10:17 PM
  • LocationMadrid, Spain

Posted 23 January 2020 - 08:26 AM

Maybe interesting for people who'd like to see how reliable harddrives are:

https://www.backblaz...-stats-q3-2019/

Backblaze has been releasing this for years. I work in datacenters and found this to be pretty accurate, closely mirroring what I'm seeing as well...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users