Emby 4.3.x.x Or Emby 4.4.x.x

soloam

Hello, any one running emby on freenas jail tried to make the update to Emby 4.3.x.x Or Emby 4.4.x.x. I tried and I was not able to play any content, all of them returned a invalid content file. I ended you rolling back to 4.2.x.x. Any one with sucesse? I downloaded with this.

Thank You

PhilWhite

I updated to 4.3.0.30 and ran into the same issue, so I changed settings on my Fire TV to use an external player.

I assume the problem is an ffmpeg mismatch since the newer Emby versions are using ffmpeg 4.3 and current freenas 11.2 has not updated to 4.3 yet as far as I can tell.

Using an external player videos play fine.  I ran into no issues with music play.

How did you update to 4.3.0.30? Hopefully you got it from FreeBSD ports where this will never happen. You should only be using the manual install packages if you are a beta user. These mismatches with FreeBSD libs will happen from time to time and the only fix will be waiting for us to put out an update with a new ffmpeg build.

If you're a stable user you probably will find this process painful so what's why i would install via ports.

makarai

I updated to 4.3.0.30 and ran into the same issue, so I changed settings on my Fire TV to use an external player.

I assume the problem is an ffmpeg mismatch since the newer Emby versions are using ffmpeg 4.3 and current freenas 11.2 has not updated to 4.3 yet as far as I can tell.

Using an external player videos play fine.  I ran into no issues with music play.

@@Luke

There are multiple issues that arose in the last 15 small beta versions. Firstly a train change from quarterly to latest at around 4.3.0.14, now there are requirements used in the 4.4 version that require versions that are not in the ports tree yet, so even further removed from latest. However, this is fine as long as you state in the release notes that the version is currently not compatible with freebsd 11.2 and its latest port tree. Also I am a strong advocate that you leave older betas online and dont take them away from github so its easy to roll back.

Firstly a train change from quarterly to latest at around 4.3.0.14

This is likely the root cause of the playback issue when OP upgraded to 4.3.X.X. I updated my stable jail to the latest 4.3.0.30 from the last 4.2 stable and had to change pkgs from quarterly to latest. 

There's also a new dependency required (x265) so anybody doing the upgrade should be going through the dependencies list to make sure they're all installed. 

PhilWhite

This is likely the root cause of the playback issue when OP upgraded to 4.3.X.X. I updated my stable jail to the latest 4.3.0.30 from the last 4.2 stable and had to change pkgs from quarterly to latest. 

There's also a new dependency required (x265) so anybody doing the upgrade should be going through the dependencies list to make sure they're all installed. 

Very likely.  I am still on quarterly.

Very likely.  I am still on quarterly.

That's your issue. Switch to latest and you should be all set.

There's not really a way to know which you should use after an update. I go through the update process, see if there are any playback issues, if there are I switch pkg versions and force update all the installed pkgs and then test again. 99% of my after-update issues have always been related to quarterly vs latest.

CORRECTION

It state's right in the install instructions

First, make sure your FreeBSD system is configured for latest packages.

Edited by MRobi

PhilWhite

Or wait for quarterly to catch up, which should happen in a few weeks.  I don't watch anything using windows, only with Fire TV and a Shield TV.  I can use another option -- namely, using an external video player to take care of the 'problem.'

raidflex

How are you updating to 4.3, I do not see a pkg for this version even on latest branch. 

Edited by raidflex

raidflex

It's probably not in freebsd ports yet.

That is what I figured, but some people in this thread were able to install it so that is why I was wondering. 

Also I am a strong advocate that you leave older betas online and dont take them away from github so its easy to roll back.

@@makarai I agree, it's just that we run into github limits and it causes a problem with the stable release downloads. If we're going to leave every single beta up forever, we're going to need somewhere else to put them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
PhilWhite

Quarterly packages appear to have caught up and now include ffmpeg 4.4xx, so if you have an instance of emby running in a jail you can simply do a pkg update, pkg upgrade in the jail, and it will upgrade you to 4.3.1 and all seems to work perfectly from what I can tell.

Quarterly packages appear to have caught up and now include ffmpeg 4.4xx, so if you have an instance of emby running in a jail you can simply do a pkg update, pkg upgrade in the jail, and it will upgrade you to 4.3.1 and all seems to work perfectly from what I can tell.

Thanks for the info !

makarai

is 4.4 working fine for you and which version of FreeBSD or FreeNAS are you running Soloam?

not soloam but 4.4 is not working for me i am on the latest stable freenas u7.

We are looking the issues with the beta package. I think it is just the usual, that there are libraries that need to be updated in our ffmpeg build.

makarai

We are looking the issues with the beta package. I think it is just the usual, that there are libraries that need to be updated in our ffmpeg build.

I just tried 4.4.0.7 (updated my not working 4.4.06) and its now playing everything fine