Optimum storage format (for transcoding)?

MyMediaAtHome

MyMediaAtHome

Video files come in many formats (MKV, MP4, etc) but which is the best one to for Emby use?
I use Kodi to play locally and that works great with everything I throw at it.
So my question is mostly about streaming it to a remote location, when bandwidth is an issue.
I know Emby transcodes when needed; but which file format is lightest on resources when Emby needs to stream/transcode it?

If I understood correctly, whatever the format is the subs need to be stored as seperate .srt files.

If you prepare you media in a format that all devices can use, such as MP4 container, using H.264 video with a stereo AAC audio track then you won't need a powerful server normally because all Emby apps can use that format directly. If however you don't prepare your media ahead of time like this or if you don't have adequate bandwidth between the client and server to play the media AS IS then the Emby Server will assist you by transcoding (converting) your media on the fly in real-time.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/System-requirements

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

This is client dependent.

Use mp4 with h.264 Video and AAC Audio to avoid transcoding in most cases. Otherwise the stress on the server will be dependent on the container, codec and client. There is no straight answer.

Frankly I prefer to overcome this with hardware that can do the job so I don't have gimped files for local playback on my HT.

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel

Assuming you don't care abut having your server transcode and you are working with your own discs that are DVD or blu-ray:

• The easiest option is direct disc rips to MKV.  Don't change a thing.
  • The next easiest option is direct rips to MKV but convert VC1 blu-rays to h264 at the same bit rate.  Most things won't handle VC1 well so this can be worthwhile.
  • From there I might consider pre-converting mpeg2 to h264, again at the same bit rate

MyMediaAtHome

Assuming you don't care abut having your server transcode and you are working with your own discs that are DVD or blu-ray:

I have no problem with transcoding my stuff once. It's not like I'm putting a dozen new titles online daily. Far from. The transcoding doesn't even have to be done by Emby. I have Aimersoft Video Converter Ultimate which can convert to about any format. I'll likely do the transcoding on my main PC because that has better specs than my HTPC. I don't care if it's busy for hours as my PCs are on 24/7 anyway.

My question was about after that one time conversion.

To simplify my question. If I would transcode the same movie at the same resolution and bitrate to mkv, mp4 or wmv, which would put least strain on my media server?

I know just the basics of file formats, so excuse me if I say something wrong.

If I pick .mkv which coded should I use? h264?

Does it matter most things don't handle VC1 well? I mean when Emby streams to a remote low bandwidth device it transcodes to whatever format it deems best?

I must add I only have 3Mbyte/s upstream so streaming high bitrate material in Direct View format likely isn't going to happen.

Locally I'm watching on Kodi and I yet have to find a format that it doesn't play.

Another thing I might add is that I don't have a fancy 4K or 8k tv. I have a Sony Bravia 1080.

So, not trying to start a codec/bitrate war here, I think storing in 1080 is the best way to go in my situation because:

• My TV can't handle more than 1080.
  • 1080 takes up less disk space that 4k.
  • 1080 is more likely to be send as Direct View by Emby. And that means virtually no processing power needed.
  • If 1080 needs to be transcoded to say 720 or whatever a phone uses it's lighter on resources that transcoding from 4k?

Perhaps worthwhile mentioning, I'm in the process of buying a Ryzen 5 2400G, GTX 1660 PC

Deathsquirrel

Well if you don't mind transcoding once I would either just do plain rips, perhaps reencoding VC1 if you care, or convert everything to a basic standard that works well on the majority of your playback devices.  That's going to likely mean h264 in an MKV container.  Sound doesn't much matter as transcoding sound has very little system impact.  Strictly speaking though, AAC has the widest device support since it's apple-friendly and most everything supports it.

Honestly I don't think it's worth the effort if you're just serving your media to your house.  Controlling the playback devices is easier than reencoding everything IMO.  I just use playback options that can handle my media.

MyMediaAtHome

Honestly I don't think it's worth the effort if you're just serving your media to your house.

For my house I use Kodi. I like Kodi and likely keep using it.

The reason I'm using Emby is because I also want to stream outside of my house

RanmaCanada

To simplify things just buy devices that can direct play your content, period.  Doing multiple transcodes does nothing than ensure the quality of your experience is potato.  If you like kodi, then just install and use kodi on any devices that you are using outside your house, including your phone (if you use android).  Again, the basis of transcoding is client dependent.  If you're using Apple devices, sorry can't help you.