PCM Option?

JXL2112

Anyway to have a PCM option for lossless files....sound quality is important to me so keeping the bits intact would be nice. Transcoding to mp3 or aac is still throwing bits away and degrades the sound quality.

I purposely ripped my CD's to flac for a reason.

Hi, does Roku support pcm?

I converted an album to wav format and played it with audio transcoding disabled and it worked....so yes I would say Roku supports PCM. 

The problem with transcoding to wav on the fly is that the output would be very large and the roku player would probably wait until it has downloaded the full thing before it starts playing.

If your Roku is properly reporting support for LPCM, then we should already be direct playing wav in the app.

Can I please see an ffmpeg log generated from playback of one of these?

If your Roku is properly reporting support for LPCM, then we should already be direct playing wav in the app.

Can I please see an ffmpeg log generated from playback of one of these?

Flac files don't direct play for whatever reason so they get transcoded to aac or mp3 which degrades the sound quality. The request was to have PCM option for lossless files so there would be no loss of sound quality.

Flac files don't direct play for whatever reason so they get transcoded to aac or mp3 which degrades the sound quality. The request was to have PCM option for lossless files so there would be no loss of sound quality.

Ah, okay.  I agree with Luke that doing that may not provide a very good experience either.

Ah, okay.  I agree with Luke that doing that may not provide a very good experience either.

My old media server did everything to PCM and I never had a problem. It would be a "nice" option for those of us who want better sound quality and have decent media servers that transcode fast. Have the feature disabled by default and a warning or notice to end users that it may slow transcoding. 

Guest asrequested

What's interesting here, is that PCM is just decoded raw audio, and is how all audio eventually ends. The difficult part is that transporting that much audio data can be a big ask. With HDMI, no issue as it can carry 8 channels of uncompressed audio. The problem can happen with someone using ARC or optical. You can only have 2 channels of uncompressed audio. And there's no way for the app(s)/server to know if those are being used. This can result in no audio. So if there were an option for this, it would probably have to force a stereo output. This could cause issues with movie audio. If this is only for music, then maybe that could be a caveat? The Theater for desktop app has options specifically for music, so maybe that's possible in other apps???

• 2 weeks later...

Is that true?

I just downloaded emby for my music because my DNLA stereo supports only AAC, MP3 and PCM from Media Servers.

Since I have no intention to convert all my files from FLAC to PCM WAV and surely not to MP3, I was full of hope that emby would do the transcoding job from FLAC to PCM on the fly.

Now I read that emby transcodes to MP3? I hope this is just a joke or somthing related to Roku.  :wub:

Edited by NoPCM

Is that true?

I just downloaded emby for my music because my DNLA stereo supports only AAC, MP3 and PCM from Media Servers.

Since I have no intention to convert all my files from FLAC to PCM WAV and surely not to MP3, I was full of hope that emby would do the transcoding job from FLAC to PCM on the fly.

Now I read that emby transcodes to MP3? I hope this is just a joke or somthing related to Roku.  :wub:

Only for the Roku app. Most other apps can just play the original flac directly.