Live TV DVR recording problem

spidermunky

spidermunky

Hi,

Wasn't sure where to post this.  Issue relates to Live TV recording and playback via synology installation of Emby Server - I need some help

Server version 4.3.0.30

Issue description:

• DVR set to record a live tv program between 8:30pm and 9:30pm GMT (electoral debate)
  • At around 9pm I select to watch the program, choosing to watch from the beginning. So, channel is continuing to record while I watch the already recorded portion of the show.
  • Everything is fine for around 16 mins, then the stream begins to freeze regularly about every 10 seconds, each freeze lasts about 5-10 seconds.
  • I try backing out the stream, then when i go back in via the guide it just sits at the start of the program and is frozen.
  • I try accessing the show as a recording, same problem
  • Time passes, it's now 9:30pm so the recording has about finished.
  • I try accessing the recording.  This time it plays. I forward to the 16min mark, but after a short while the recording is all messed up.  Voices out of sync with the images, clipping in the sound, bad screen artifacts all over the place. Basically unwatchable.

This has happened before - hence why i'd like help in understanding whats going on. I can see errors in the log file around 9pm, but not sure what they indicate. Any help appreciated. Log attached.

embyserver-63711320551.txt

I experienced similar behaviour a few days ago.

My scenario yestoday was as follows:

Started recording a show at 8.30pm

Started to watch it at 8.50pm - the recording length showed 20 minutes

As each ad segment was encountered I was able skip over it

On reaching the 20 minute position it was impossible to continue.

After waiting until the show had finished it was only possible to wath the 20 minute segment

Looking at the file in Windows it was shown as 1 hour and 3 minutes (1 hour show + 3 minutes padding)

The next day I started watching the recording and it showed only 20 minute recording

When I got to the 20 minute mark the remaining time suddenly changed to - 1:59:59

I was able to continue watching to the end.

This is happening in the Android Mobile app and Emby Theater for Windows.

Using the Emby Web App I get the same scenario as posted above and when it gets to the 20 minute mark playback just stops.

Basically now I just wait till the next day to watch any recorded TV.

Hope this helps.

I can provide clean logs doing another test recording if needed.

spidermunky

Hi - thanks for adding to the discussion. The issue sounds quite similar to mine then - with the exception that my recording was corrupted by sound and visual artefacts.

Is anyone from the development community available to comment?  It would be good to identify the issue and log it as something to be addressed in a later code release - assuming it is not something already under review.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the slow respnse.

I've just tested my scenario again since todays server update to version 13.

The only app that successfully allows playing of in progress recordings is Emby Theater.

On the sever itself and android app and android tv playing stops as soon as It reaches the current time of the recording from the firts app to attempt playing.

• 2 weeks later...

Just checking in again:

I'm still experiencing this problem even with the latest Beta.

Still working OK using Emby Theater (3.0.6)

Just checking in again:

I'm still experiencing this problem even with the latest Beta.

Still working OK using Emby Theater (3.0.6)

But don't you use next pvr for recording? So that means what you're saying has no relation to this topic, right?

Sorry Luke if I've been posting in the wrong forum. There are several similar posts relating to watching in progress recordings but I just couldn't see them today.

Please remove or move my posts to a more appropriate forum.

Yes I am using NextPVR.

byusinger84

I have this happening with my set up too (ServerWMC and latest stable of Emby). If I pause the stream (direct streaming, btw...no transcoding) for about 30 seconds and then hit play, it's as smooth as butter. I wonder if the client or the server isn't buffering enough. That said, the work around by just pausing for about 30 seconds make it usable, at least. 

• 3 weeks later...
reneboulard

I have exactly the same problem.

Using emby 4.4.028 beta on a windows system with a I5 and SSD. and  HDHomerunQuatro

Playing a tv show while it is recording is fine until you reach the time in the recording you started to watch, then the recording is corrupted at about 3 min interval thereafter and seeking become more unstable and eventualy fail.

I have had this problem since at least version 4.4.0.0 and moved to the beta to see if it was fixed.

Been watching more TV at home in the last week, considering the quarantine.  So it would be nice to be able to use this feature.

Thank you for your help.

I have exactly the same problem.

Using emby 4.4.028 beta on a windows system with a I5 and SSD. and  HDHomerunQuatro

Playing a tv show while it is recording is fine until you reach the time in the recording you started to watch, then the recording is corrupted at about 3 min interval thereafter and seeking become more unstable and eventualy fail.

I have had this problem since at least version 4.4.0.0 and moved to the beta to see if it was fixed.

Been watching more TV at home in the last week, considering the quarantine.  So it would be nice to be able to use this feature.

Thank you for your help.

We'll help you in your topic: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/83977-live-tv-viewing-while-recording-pixelation-every-3-min

Thanks.