Additional Episode Naming Format

Nightreaver

Nightreaver

Hello

I've been using the search but I didn't find anything.

I'd like to request an addition episode naming pattern.

I've recently downloaded some Series which use an "unsual" episode naming, tho for some reason I need to maintain the original file name.

The modification would be a minor one (I hope)

SeriesName.EP01.format.ext

is already recognized by emby and I want to ask to add below samples as well, if possible.

SeriesName.EP.01.format.ext
SeriesName.E001.format.ext

Without this change, Emby shows only last episode per series which is a bit frustrating.

Please consider adding this (soon).

Cheers

Edited by Nightreaver

• 10 months later...
Nightreaver

Hello

I have updated the request by one option.

But I can see it has not been implemented yet, any chances to see this maybe this year? 🙄

Happy2Play

Only way I can see that naming working is if it resides inside a season folder, as there is zero indication of season within naming scheme. 

I guess maybe if Series is set to Absolute Display order.

But if added I would assume with specific restrictions.

crusher11
4 hours ago, Nightreaver said:

Hello

I have updated the request by one option.

But I can see it has not been implemented yet, any chances to see this maybe this year? 🙄

How about getting your media legally? 

• Confused 1

I just tested this one:

SeriesName.EP.01.format.ext

using:

Dexter EP.08.dvd.avi

and I think it already works.

• 1 month later...
Nightreaver

I have updated from 4.4.3.0-1 to 4.5.2.0 and i feels like some of my series "lost" episodes after the update.

^E\d+ (ie. 'E01 - Text') << this was working with 4.4.3.0 and disappeared with update
*.\.EP\.\d+\.    ( Title.Ep.001.Text )
*.\.S\d+\Ep\d+\.   ( Title.S01Ep01.Text )
*.\.[Ee]\d+\.    ( Title.E001.Text )

These still don't work for me.

Are you using beta?

Edited by Nightreaver

4 minutes ago, Nightreaver said:

I have updated from 4.4.3.0-1 to 4.5.2.0 and i feels like some of my series "lost" episodes after the update.

^E\d+ (ie. 'E01 - Text') << this was working with 4.4.3.0 and disappeared with update
*.\.EP\.\d+\.    ( Title.Ep.001.Text )
*.\.S\d+\Ep\d+\.   ( Title.S01Ep01.Text )
*.\.[Ee]\d+\.    ( Title.E001.Text )

These still don't work for me.

Are you using beta?

Hi there, did you consult our TV naming guide to see which of these are supported?

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159110-tv-naming

Nightreaver

Well, you said 

Dexter EP.08.dvd.avi

would work, and it doesnt work for me, its also not listed on your episode naming convention list.

So I been asking if you use a beta? Otherwise how it can work for you even when its not listed ?

Also, how come a series that was working before is not working anymore?

Is there a way to add episode naming formats myself? Maybe you can add that

Happy2Play

Full context would be needed.  Can you provide complete naming and structure of a example.

As Series/Episode will be different then Series/Season X/Episode

Also, how come a series that was working before is not working anymore?

Specific example please

Is there a way to add episode naming formats myself? Maybe you can add that

There are on user options for this.

Nightreaver
Title.S01Ep01.DTS.DL.1080p.x265.ext
Title.Ep01.DTS.DL.1080p.x265.ext
Title.Ep.11.DTS.DL.1080p.x265.ext
Title.E01.DTS.DL.1080p.x265.ext
Title.e001.DTS.DL.1080p.x265.ext ( while it seem to with with E001 )
E01 - SampleText.ext

These are the ones that currently don't work (for me in 4.5.2.0) , and I know for sure some have been working with 4.4.3.0

Overall it seems some are getting recognized some are not, and it doesn't seem to be for a reason - but I will bring that over to another forum.

Happy2Play

Folder context will have to apply in some instances as any item without a season designator will always fail if not in a season folder.  So full context is always needed when you are talking about Series.  There can be a issue when we are talking about Aired, DVD, Absolute order also.

Nightreaver

Hello and thanks for your explanation, tho in my cases it doesn't make sense, because I have similar TVshows with similar naming getting detected in plenty different way since the update. I don't wanna bloat this thread so i opened a new one - 

• 2 months later...
On 11/28/2020 at 10:52 PM, Nightreaver said:

Title.S01Ep01.DTS.DL.1080p.x265.ext
Title.Ep01.DTS.DL.1080p.x265.ext
Title.Ep.11.DTS.DL.1080p.x265.ext
Title.E01.DTS.DL.1080p.x265.ext
Title.e001.DTS.DL.1080p.x265.ext ( while it seem to with with E001 )
E01 - SampleText.ext

These are the ones that currently don't work (for me in 4.5.2.0) , and I know for sure some have been working with 4.4.3.0

Overall it seems some are getting recognized some are not, and it doesn't seem to be for a reason - but I will bring that over to another forum.

We'd have to go over specific examples but not all of those are listed as supported in our tv naming guide.

Happy2Play

All but the first example would require a Series/Season/episode structure as there is no season identifiers.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/28/2021 at 5:39 PM, browed said:

Name_-_01.ext
Name_-_S01E01.ext

HI, that's interesting. Never seen anyone doing that before.

CharleyVarrick

Not going to get any "Likes" for this but naming conventions exist for a boatloads of good reasons, and as the word convention implies, they are quite universal (ie they works as well for Emby,. Plex Kodi etc. Choosing to ignore those conventions is one's privilege, but your mileage may will vary.

There are many possible variations, but calling a pint of motor oil "2% milk" will spell trouble..

There are a few free software that will batch-fix those file names for you in a couple of clicks.

Folder structures is also quite important.

Movies: https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159102-movie-naming

TV: https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159110-tv-naming

Music: https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159113-music-naming

Edited by CharleyVarrick
  • Like 3

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, CharleyVarrick said:

There are many possible variations, but calling a pint of motor oil "2% milk" will spell trouble..

This. 😂

P.S. Got one right there. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CharleyVarrick

And its not going to get better with time, as we see more and more reboots, and identically named, though unrelated movie and tv show titles (all the good titles are already taken).

I have somewhere in my movies library 5 different movies with exact same name, fortunately with different (yyyy)

I even have a couple with identical name and yyyy, that kept being displayed as dupe;

Movie name convention article has provision even for those corner case (adding provider id# in folder name)

Edited by CharleyVarrick
  • Like 1

CharleyVarrick
41 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

This. 😂

P.S. Got one right there. 😉

At first, I thought you meant you had SAE10w30 extra calcium or something 🤣

• Haha 1

CharleyVarrick

Please note I do not want to mock the original poster in any way; I went thru having to fix filenames in my media collection a few times since the very beginning, not fun at all and no laughing matter.  It is never too late to adhere to good practice involving folder structure/proper file naming, the rewards far outweighing the work involved. My point was only "garbage in = garbage out"

Edited by CharleyVarrick

Mine works well for identifying and tagging with MetaX.. and is quickly identified with Emby... example.. Nice thing is you can start with something basic and the program with rename file and title, but it still has to have show name, season, and episode in place for it to identify it and to add info (metadata) from online resources.

Ex.. Archer S01E01.mkv then it tags all files sequentially for the whole season. Emby picks all of this up right off.

Folder structure ---->  \\TV\Show Name\Season w/Number - Season Name ( If applicable )\   or   \\TV\Archer\Season 01 - Espionage Never Tasted So Salty\

Filenaming ------>    %ShowName% S%SeasonNumber%E%EpisodeNumber% - %EpisodeName%    or    Archer S01E01 - Training Day 

Found out the hard way for TV Movies.. Never rip and join them;  leave them apart, they identify correctly and show up right in Emby :P

Edited by Guest

CharleyVarrick
7 hours ago, Hxemby001 said:

Found out the hard way for TV Movies.. Never rip and join them;  leave them apart, they identify correctly and show up right in Emby :P

Years and years ago, I was finding out I had the odd movie in my tv library, and its evil twin, the odd tv show in movie library, Emby had (obviously) a hard time Identifying them correctly.

My fault for blindly trusting "as is" internet sourced content. The lessons learned here:

A 2 or 3 parts tv "movie" is often referred to as a (mini) TV series

And a badly identified movie that has a tv show intro when you play it is a TV episode in disguise.

As Fox Mulder would say: Trust No One

Edited by CharleyVarrick

browed
On 3/2/2021 at 4:04 PM, Luke said:

HI, that's interesting. Never seen anyone doing that before.

fansubs generally use this nomenclature ....