Latest Emby release not starting - Help Please

BKKK

I was happily using Emby (4.3) and tried to add a few movies to the database. Instead of the usual scan progress it started to scan then within a few seconds it stopped. It appeared to have locked up? However the restart emby server option still functioned so I did.

Something was definitely happening for a few minutes (I could hear the hard drives in the Nas being busy) but when I tried to access Emby it would not connect. 

I then went over to TOS desktop which showed me that there was a new version TOS software available (4.1.11-2932) so I upgraded.

This now informed me that there was an upgrade to Emby available (4.3.0.33) released on 4th Dec so I upgraded which appeared to go fine, e.g. no errors.

I waited for awhile and tried to access Emby but all I got was a 502 Bad Gateway response.

I then restarted the Nas and tried again, same response.

I then looked at the Emby app in the application window and it showed Emby was in a stopped state so I tried to restart it. 

It shows that it starts but if you go back and look at it again it shows stopped again.

So I then uninstalled Emby and re-installed (note the installation progress bar starts at 50% which I thought was a bit odd)

However the same symptoms remain.

After a number of Nas reboots with no success I have now run out of options so any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I am using a F4 -220

Edited by BKKK

Hi there, are you still running into this? Without knowing what the problem is you may need to ssh into the server's program data folder so that we can look at a log file.

Hi there, are you still running into this? Without knowing what the problem is you may need to ssh into the server's program data folder so that we can look at a log file.

Thank you for the reply and yes Emby still will not start. However as I am basically a windoze user can someone out there tell me how to "ssh".

Google search not being over helpful at the moment.

Edit: OK I have installed putty and managed to log on to the nas  :) however I have no idea where to find the program data folder.

I think I am currently in /home/admin.

Edit2: My 101 on linux is still progressing and I have located the emby server logs (about 20 of them). My next problem is how to copy them?

Edited by BKKK

Great job. So your library database file has become corrupt. The most common cause of this by far is a sudden and abrupt termination of the emby server process. This could be from you force stopping the emby server process, it could be from a power loss, NAS machine crash, etc.

In any event, you'll need to shutdown emby server, then rename this file:

/home/emby/data/library.db

Then start back up and you'll need to do a full library scan after that.

OK I have hit a bit of a problem. As far as I can see emby is not running however when I try to rename the file ssh says permission denied.

So I tried to use chmod to change permissions but that is denied as well. Unfortunately my linux emergency 101 hasn't covered that  :wacko:

My Linux command line skills are limited, but did you try using 'sudo'.

As far as I know the library.db would only be unaccessible if emby is using it. Are you sure emby isn't running?

I did try to use sudo but that command is not recognised by the nas. As far as emby running all I can see is the application window in TOS which is saying emby is stopped. Is there a way to check via ssh?

Are you logged in as root? Because then 'sudo' wouldn't matter.

Being logged in as root might fix the issue with removing the library.db

(Please forgive me my experience is with raspbian, which is close but not really the same)

To answer you question it looks like this ps command will list a running processes:

Type the following ps command to display all running process:

# ps -aux | less

A : Select all processes
u : Select all processes on a terminal, including those of other users
x : Select processes without controlling ttys

Edited by chef
  • Like 1

The answer was logging into the nas as root rather than admin. Thanks for the help but I had already found that by scouring the terramaster forums.

This allowed me to rename the db file.

Emby is now currently scanning my media library (30 mins in and 12.5% done - this could take awhile  ;) )

PS: For anyone reading this in the future the root password is the same as the admin password.

Hopefully I can now close my copy of Linux for dummies  :D

• Like 1

Emby is now currently scanning my media library (30 mins in and 12.5% done - this could take awhile  ;) ) Note: Understatement of the year! 

Further update after 24hrs scanning I am now up 87% complete   ^_^ but as it has taken 11hrs to go from 86.4% to 87% I am wondering will I have Emby available by Christmas   :unsure:

Edited by BKKK

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately whilst I was away over the holidays emby decided it needed a break too and stopped communicating. I  am back now and using my new found Linux skills  :wacko: I have the server logs. I had a quick scan and couldn't see anything obvious. If I start emby it runs for a couple of minutes (web interface says loading emby) and then stops which is a bit different from before. Can any kind soul shed some light on the problem or do I need to rename the db file again (another 2 day rescan  :angry: )

logs.7z

Edited by BKKK

• 2 months later...

Just updated to Terramaster V4.1.18-2001031451.  It asked me to update Emby but it didn't work.   

If I go to installed apps, Emby is at V4.3.1.0, but the most up-to-date EMBY (beta) is 4.4.0.28. 

I have two Terramaster's, both Intel based, but both crash when the latest (old V4.3.1.0) version of Emby is installed. 

Although TOS works fine, and other updates to apps were required and work fine, Emby will not run from the desktop. It basically flashes on screen, but nothing runs.  

I have downloaded emby-server-terramaster_4.4.0.28_x86_64.tar.xz but it will not install manually on TOS as per the instructions.  Is this a file compression issue?

Sorry, I am not very technologically inclined. 

Edited by Danno

Just updated to Terramaster V4.1.18-2001031451.  It asked me to update Emby but it didn't work.   

If I go to installed apps, Emby is at V4.3.1.0, but the most up-to-date EMBY (beta) is 4.4.0.28. 

I have two Terramaster's, both Intel based, but both crash when the latest (old V4.3.1.0) version of Emby is installed. 

Although TOS works fine, and other updates to apps were required and work fine, Emby will not run from the desktop. It basically flashes on screen, but nothing runs.  

I have downloaded emby-server-terramaster_4.4.0.28_x86_64.tar.xz but it will not install manually on TOS as per the instructions.  Is this a file compression issue?

Sorry, I am not very technologically inclined. 

You can't use these packages to manually install in the Terramaster web interface, it's a different format and so far Terramaster is not making documentation available on it.

• 7 months later...

Now you can no longer use emby on the terramster! Emby is no longer listed under Applications and the files on Emby for manual installation are in the wrong format!

We got an email from Terramaster this morning saying they have temporarily removed us from their store because we include Taiwan as an option in the language selection box, and that it's a sensitive political issue for them and non-negotiable.

So yes we'll scramble to submit a new one to them, and hopefully they will release it asap, but if you don't like this then please send them your feedback about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Great news. We now support the new TerraMaster package format. To learn more, please see here:

Thanks.

Hello, 

I know this topic is old but I'm having the exact same issues. I updated my Emby to 4.5.2 last night and then I noticed there was a new update for my TerraMaster F5-221 TOS, so I then installed that. After my restart, Emby was giving the 502 Bad Gateway error. I've uninstalled multiple times with multiple reboots. I tried installed Emby manually both stable and beta without success. I downloaded Putty to login as root which I've done, but I don't know what to do from there with this whole renaming process. If you could walk me through the process like I'm 5 I would be very grateful. Thanks so much.

On 11/10/2020 at 9:43 AM, Twilex said:

Hello, 

I know this topic is old but I'm having the exact same issues. I updated my Emby to 4.5.2 last night and then I noticed there was a new update for my TerraMaster F5-221 TOS, so I then installed that. After my restart, Emby was giving the 502 Bad Gateway error. I've uninstalled multiple times with multiple reboots. I tried installed Emby manually both stable and beta without success. I downloaded Putty to login as root which I've done, but I don't know what to do from there with this whole renaming process. If you could walk me through the process like I'm 5 I would be very grateful. Thanks so much.

Hi, did you install from the store, or using our manual download?

• 2 months later...
17 hours ago, gonzalonavarre said:

tengo problemas desde la tienda terramaster nas, 502 error, desde manual error 402

We'll help you in your topic that you created. Thanks.