Different limits for LAN and WAN

MyMediaAtHome

MyMediaAtHome

I want to configure the server as follows:

1. Everything on my local network should play without bandwidth limits. My home network is fast enough and it avoids wasting resources on transcoding. So on LAN Direct Stream if possible.
  2. Because my upstream is only 3Mbyte/s I would like to limit the total bandwidth out to about 2Mbyte/s. Is that possible?

Everything on my local network should play without bandwidth limits. My home network is fast enough and it avoids wasting resources on transcoding. So on LAN Direct Stream if possible.

By default this is what will happen out of the box.

Because my upstream is only 3Mbyte/s I would like to limit the total bandwidth out to about 2Mbyte/s. Is that possible?

Hi there, have you explored the network settings in the server dashboard?

MyMediaAtHome

I did, but it turned out the problem I spotted is unrelated to bandwidth setting....

I discovered 'Stats for nerds' and it says the reason for transcoding is incompatible subtitles.

I started exploring Emby since today and don't have Premiere yet, so no hardware encoding.

Does hardware encoding also takes care of the subtitles or will that cause a high CPU load?

Does hardware encoding also takes care of the subtitles or will that cause a high CPU load?

Hardware encoding will certainly help if your system is capable of that, but burning in subtitles will always be a costly process. It is generally best to avoid it. Please see the three bullet points here for the best ways to do that:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Hardware-Acceleration-Overview#troubleshooting

Thanks.

MyMediaAtHome

I'll try Theater once I get Premiere.

Question about the licensing; is Theater free and fully usable (actually watching a movie) for all who are connected (remotely) to my server? 
Is there a page that lists all the apps and on which device they (PC, Xbox, Chromecast, etc)  work?

Question about the licensing; is Theater free and fully usable (actually watching a movie) for all who are connected (remotely) to my server? 

With Emby Premiere yes. You may want to check out the Premiere feature matrix. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

MyMediaAtHome

Me again.... :-)

Maybe this already possible maybe the Emby team can consider it for a future release. My question is best explained as an example I think.

I prefer Direct Play because that reduces the server load, but it may consume to much of my upload bandwidth.

I would like to enter my max upload in Emby.

When a external/internet stream is requested, and no Emby related uploads are active then Emby is allowed to use my full upload. If there are active non Emby uploads the Emby throttles itself.

More upload bandwidth means Emby can create a huge buffer on the remote client. Maybe the whole movie. This would be very useful if lateron there is a non-Emby upload or other external streams are requested.

So what I'm asking/suggesting is dynanamic bandwidth usage.

While filling a huge remote buffer at the highest speed possible is great for unmetered connections it's not for metered connections.

For example a phone that's not on WiFi could be used to watch just 5 minutes of a movie and then the user decides the movie is boring and stops watching. In that case all that buffering was a waste of bandwidth.

While filling a huge remote buffer at the highest speed possible is great for unmetered connections it's not for metered connections.

For example a phone that's not on WiFi could be used to watch just 5 minutes of a movie and then the user decides the movie is boring and stops watching. In that case all that buffering was a waste of bandwidth.

That's not how any of the players work I don't believe.  All of them request content as they need it with minimal buffering.

What you are asking for is not possible right now.  In order to do that, we'd have to actually degrade existing user's streams as more users came on.

MyMediaAtHome

Likely my thinking is to simple then :-) If the buffer is normally set to say 1MB why not set it to 100MB

Degrading streams I only partly agree with.

User-A starts streaming first and fills a huge buffer at full speed.

User-B starts streaming 5 minutes later. Yep they have to share bandwidth, There simply is no way around it. BUT if User-A has a big buffer he's not in need for much bandwidth for a while. And in the most  ideal situation User-A buffered the whole movie before User-B arrives.

So my philosopy is grab what you can as soon as you can. And overall that will improve, instead of degrade quality.