convert not using gpu Debian

byakuya32
Go to solution Solved by byakuya32,

• 2 weeks later...
byakuya32

@softworkz It transcodes with the GPU for playback it just wont convert with the GPU it did for a few files. I'm using the built in convert to convert everything to h.265 it is so slow when it does not use the gpu. It also never user all the cpu resources it has when not using the GPU it has 2 6 core 12  thread cpu's to use and is set to use max threads.

Edited by byakuya32

In hardware detection i noticed this:

"Error": {
                    "Number": -1,
                    "Message": "Failed to initialize VA /dev/dri/renderD128. Error -1"

I would believe that means that emby doesnt see the right device for gpu hardware acceleration.

Last I remember debian and ubuntu practically ship with support for vaapi hardware acceleration. Do you happen to have vainfo installed?

In hardware detection i noticed this:

"Error": {

"Number": -1,

"Message": "Failed to initialize VA /dev/dri/renderD128. Error -1"

I would believe that means that emby doesnt see the right device for gpu hardware acceleration.

Last I remember debian and ubuntu practically ship with support for vaapi hardware acceleration. Do you happen to have vainfo installed?

@@tdiguy - He's using Nvidia hardware, so no VAAPI.

@softworkz It transcodes with the GPU for playback it just wont convert with the GPU it did for a few files. I'm using the built in convert to convert everything to h.265 it is so slow when it does not use the gpu. It also never user all the cpu resources it has when not using the GPU it has 2 6 core 12  thread cpu's to use and is set to use max threads.

@@byakuya32 - When you say that playback is working, could you please playback the same file from the log in the first post and post the ffmpeg log from that playback (just 1 minute of playback).

• 2 weeks later...

@@byakuya32 - When you say that playback is working, could you please playback the same file from the log in the first post and post the ffmpeg log from that playback (just 1 minute of playback).

@@softworkz sorry for the delay just had a chance from 6:23 to 6:25

I'm afraid, but the new log you posted (The Witcher S01E01 The End's Beginning.mkv) is not the same file as the one from the log in post #1 (Titanic 1997.mkv). It's not even the same codec.

Maybe I failed to explain what this is about:

• You reported an issue with the conversion feature and posted a log file covering that
  • You said that the same transcoding would be working fine in case of playback
  • That's why I asked for a logfile showing that situation you mentioned: Playback of that same file that shows that hw acceleration is working in that case

The new logfile is showing a totally different file and transcoding case.

byakuya32

@@softworkz Here is is from 4:45 to 4:50 I could not remember the name of the original file that was there but it is all files the seem to not use the gpu in converting to hvec but worked in the past when converting to h.264 with aac audio but playback is fine same with transcode and it used the GPU.

ffmpeg lof.txt

Conversion to HEVC is currently more an experimental than a mature feature. 

I'm afraid, but the only immediate solution is probably to disable the "Nvidia HEVC Encoder" to use sw encoding instead.

byakuya32

drat it's so slow when it is not using the GPU. It doesn't even use all the CPU that it has available it only uses 60% of mt 2 6 core hyper threaded cpu's. It has to be a bug that is causing this as it converted a few videos to HVEC using my GPU.

• 2 weeks later...